Into the Rockies - Chapter 5 - By BloodyBoots 🩸

Into the Rockies

Chapter 5

Joseph McClay continued marching up the mountain for hours, following his Pit Bull, Bessie, up into the dry wilderness. She went from brush to brush, frantically sniffing around for any clues.

“Do you even have their scent anymore?” McClay huffed as he shouldered his shotgun and caught his breath. “You better not just be sniffing around for fun!”

Bessie whined as she continued searching, sniffing from tree to tree until finally something caught her attention. She perked up and sniffed the air above her. She had caught wind of something from up on the mountain, she let out half of a howl before McClay shut her up with a kick in the rump.

“Hush!” He hissed at the dog as she cowered before him.

The man in full camo took off his sunglasses and got down low as he continued his climb through the mountain forest. It wasn’t long before he reached a plateau, beautiful and green with lush mountain wilderness all around. A small stream trickled downhill nearby and had a camp setup next to a small waterfall.

It was nothing fancy, just a circle of stones for a fire pit and a log to sit on. However it also appeared that the waterfall was man-made, with a small dam of rocks, logs, and clay blocking the stream up ahead. It looked to be a bathing area, but it was just a guess.

Either way, somebody was around here…

Joe had heard rumors of the mountain man up on the plateau, but never met him or even seen him before. He was practically a Sasquatch legend at this point. It was hard to guess how he might react to an armed stranger in hunting gear encroaching on his land. McClay’s guess was that he’d be none-too-friendly.

But perhaps he was getting ahead of himself. The chances of the fluffies making it this far up the mountain was slim. Bessie might simply smell the mountain man and nothing else. It was hard to tell.

McClay watched the dog sniff the bathing site, whining excitedly as she definitely had a scent.

“Is it the fluffies?” Joe asked hopelessly. Jessie just stared at him while panting, her tongue dangling off to the side, before continuing to sniff around. “Dumb dog.” The man muttered.

Since he had made it this far, Joe decided that he better do some recon and find out if the fluffies were around or not. He refused to go home empty-handed. If they were here, some careful planning would be in order. If they weren’t… McClay gritted his teeth in frustration. He would be losing about $1,600 for each alicorn that got away.

“They better be alive n well.” The man muttered. “Or there will be hell to pay.”

As he carefully continued his approach further into the plateau, carefully hiding behind trees and bushes until finally he saw something. He pulled a small telescope out from his hip pack and took a closer look.

It appeared to be an old cabin surrounded by a couple old sheds and other wooden structures. It was a complete little homestead, a perfect fluffy shelter if they had made it this far.

McClay grabbed bessie’s collar and held her close.

“Shh.” He whispered in her ear. “Easy girl.”

He could tell she smelled something. At this point they were so close that even he could smell it. His nostrils filled with the scent of campfire and food. Someone was cooking dinner.

Then something terrible crossed his mind. What if the mountain man had killed the fluffies and was eating them? Why wouldn’t he? Meat is meat, and their pelts would be of fine quality.

“Shit.” Joseph cursed under his breath. He decided to take a chance and approach the camp. He was heavily armed and if it came down to a firefight then so be it - he was well prepared and had Bessie as backup.

He slung his shotgun out from behind him and gripped it tight as he stood up from behind the brush. He began marching towards the camp, no longer afraid of being seen. He called out in as friendly a manner as he could muster.

“Hello!” He bellowed. “Anybody home? I come in peace!”

Jacob grabbed his rifle and turned to the stallion.

“Quick!” He whispered. “Go hide and keep your family quiet!”

He didn’t know why, but he had a strong feeling that his new visitor was here about the fluffies; the bad man who hurt them and killed their babies. Even though Jacob had only known them for a short while, he still felt protective of them. He had a soft spot for animals and a bitter hatred for poachers and other humans who would do harm to them for profit or sport.

He ducked behind his favorite stump and took aim at the approaching stranger in the distance. He decided to answer their call. It was the first time that Jacob had spoke to another human in over 10 years.

“This is private property!” Jacob shouted. “I’m well within my rights to shoot trespassers!”

Great… McClay sighed. He’s an ornery son-of-a-bitch.

“Don’t shoot!” Joe shouted back. “I just wana talk!”

“Then stop right there!” Jacob hollered. He now had the man in his sights. “Do your talkin’ then be gone!”

“I’m looking for two little ponies.” Joseph explained. “I live down below you in the trailer park at the foot of the mountain. The ponies ran away the other night and I tracked them here. Have you seen them?”

Jacob wondered what to do. If he lied he might be in trouble, but he could also be calling the stranger’s bluff. He decided to play dumb.

“Ain’t no horses up here I can promise you that!” Jacob shouted, keeping the stranger in his sights.

“They’re a tiny breed!” Joe explained. “Not much bigger than a housecat!”

“You’re not makin’ sense, stranger.” Jacob bluffed. “There’s no fairy tail creatures around here. Now begone which ya!”

“Ah hell.” Sighed McClay. “You smell anything girl?” He asked Bessie, who stood ready by his side. She barked and wagged her stumpy tail excitedly. She definitely had a scent, but was it the fluffies? She was properly trained so there was a good chance. Damn! If only he could send her up to the camp!

“Is it ok if we pass through and keep searching beyond?” McClay asked slyly.

“If you or that dog comes one step closer, I’ll start shootin’!” Jacob answered. “I’m well within my rights to do it now! Get the hell off of my plateau!”

Joseph’s patience was wearing thin. “Now see here mountain man…” he warned. “I’m Big Joe McClay of the Rocky Foot McClay family. Me and mine are not the type of people that you want to piss off!”

“And you listen to ME padre!” Jacob hollered. "I’ve survived every predator in these mountains for decades. I know this land like a soldier knows his gun. You best save your threats and get moving on the count of three! One…!

“Why you little…” McClay seethed.

“TWO!”

“Alright, alright!” Joe finally caved. “I’m leavin’!”

But you can bet your bumpkin ass that I’ll be back you bastard! McClay thought as he turned around. “This. Ain’t. Over.”

The landlord made his way back down the mountain to the trailer park in rapid time. It was a lot faster going down a mountain but it was climbing up. He walked up to his double wide trailer and barged through the front door, mad as a hornet.

“Make me waste a whole damned day marchin’ through the fucking god damed woods.” Joe grumbled as he picked up the phone. He dialed out and heard the line connect after a couple rings.

“Hello?” A gruff voice answered.

“Cain, it’s your brother Joe.” McClay said as he rubbed his aching eyes.

“Whatchu want?” Asked Cain.

“I need you to round up the cousins. We got work to do.” Joe explained.

“What kinda work?” Cain asked covertly. “Fishin’?” Which was code for a drug deal.

“Huntin some big game.” Replied Joe. This was code for murder.

“Well shit!” Cain laughed. “Things were getting pretty boring around here weren’t they!”

“Damn straight.” Joe said with a sinister chuckle. “Come over tonight with the gang and we’ll drink on it.”

“Aight then.” Said Cain before he hung up.

Joe spent the rest of the evening cleaning up before his guests arrived. It had been a few dozen moons since the boys got together. It was going to be a fun reunion.

“Say your prayers, asshole.” Joe said, gazing out the back window of his trailer up at the mountain silhouette in the moonlight. “The McClay family is comin’ for your head.”

Chapter 6
Chapter 1

8 Likes

Yeah well may Bigfoot or landslide kill Joe and his shitty family.

2 Likes

ahhh shit i would have played dumb be like like
“were they green like, snacked a green thing in a trap this morning, not much left after the possums got at it”

but also the whole family of gun toting landlords, … yea …fluffy no longer safe

1 Like