Into the Rockies - Chapter 8 - By BloodyBoots 🩸

Into the Rockies

Chapter 8

Jacob awoke suddenly sitting up next to the fire, clutching his rifle. He looked around only to be greeted by the serenity of the forest. McClay and his so-called family hadn’t made their move yet, which meant Jake still had time to prepare.

His stomach growled from hunger. First things first, breakfast and chores. He threw some pork jerky and eggs into his old frying pan and set on the coals of the fire. He added some mushrooms, fresh basil, garlic, and tomatoes for nutrients. Soon he felt a boop against his leg.

It was his new fluffy friend. The creature hid behind his leg as he sat eating.

“Hewow nice mistew.” The fluffy said nervously. “Is it safe to come out now? Fwuffy famiwy need food fow miwkies.”

“You can come out for a few minutes to get food, but hurry and get it done then go right back to hiding, ok?” Jacob handed him a couple mushrooms and half of a tomato. The stallion gobbled them up eagerly, having not eaten for over a day.

“Best nummies ebah!” The little pony said with a smile as he licked his chops clean. “Taste wike sketti!”

“Sketti?” Jacob wondered. “What in the mountain’s name is sketti?”

“Sketti is fwuffies faboite nummies!” The creature explained. “It hab noobles an wed sauce an cheesies! Awe fwuffies know bout sketti even as babbehs!”

“Are you talking about spaghetti?” Jacob inquired.

“Pa…sketti.” The fluffy repeated. “Yay dats it. Pasketti!”

“Spah get ee.” Jacob said slowly. “Say it right please.”

“Spaghetti?” The pony said cutely, but properly.

“Well look at that!” Jacob laughed. “You can learn to talk like an adult! Keep it up and I just might make you some spaghetti someday!”

“Weawy?” The fluffy asked happily. “Hooway! Me pwactice weawwy hawd to make good tawkies!”

Jacob continued to help the pony learn a few sentences as he ate his breakfast and did his chores. He enjoyed the creature’s company as it followed him around, picking leaves in various spots to take to his mate before returning to Jacob’s side. It was like having a little curious helper at his beck and call.

After chores they worked together to fortify the homestead. The fluffy’s keen eyesight and amazing sense of smell acted as a natural defense against approaching enemies. Jacob was able to put up a few barriers and a few more snares. He was exhausted after all the work and needed a break.

They returned to the campfire and ate some dinner before enjoying a short nap. They awoke to the sound of a man screaming in the distance.

It was deputy Martinez, hanging upside down by his foot after being caught in a large snare. Jacob and the fluffy approached cautiously as he called out for help. Jacob recognized the uniform and knew right away that it wasn’t one of the McClay family.

“Aagh!” Martinez groaned as he curled upwards to cut the sinew that held him. Soon he fell down with a loud thud into the forest floor below. “I’m definitely going to feel that one in the morning.” He grumbled as he pulled himself up.

“You’re trespassing.” Jacob said as he pointed his peacemaker at the deputy.

“You should post your land perimeter more clearly then.” Martinez said, stretching his body in different poses as he spoke. “Id be happy to help with that.”

Jacob lowered his gun. He could tell this was a good man. “Why are you here?” He asked.

“Let me answer that with a question of my own.” Carlos said, still stretching. “Have you had any unwanted guests recently? Perhaps that of a Mr. Joseph McClay?”

“Yeah.” Jake replied. “Bastard was up here yesterday looking for fluffies.” He looked down at his side to see that the stallion was gone. “But I ain’t seen em.”

“Oh I doubt that.” Carlos said with a chuckle. “But I can understand why you would want to protect them. Those McClays ain’t known for their kindness toward animals.”

Jacob remained silent. He reset the snare that the officer had tripped, then he simply turned around and headed for his cabin.

“Hey wait up!” Carlos said, jogging closely behind the mountain man. He knew if he stayed with him he wouldn’t get snagged by another trap.

Soon they were both sitting opposite each other by the campfire. Carlos reached into his hip pack and pulled out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chomping it down in a few eager bites. Jacob ate a mix of wild carrots and plantain leaves with squeezed tomato for dressing.

Carlos slyly eyed the mountain man up and down as he ate. He was incredibly fit, surprisingly clean, and even well groomed. His hair and beard had been trimmed on the sides to allow good airflow for keeping cool in the summer. His arms were like chiseled rock after years of hard work and healthy eating. Even his teeth looked surprisingly clean.

“So how long you been up here?” Carlos asked, breaking the awkward silence.

Jacob simply shrugged. He had lost count of the years that had passed.

“Do you ever come to town?” Carlos continued.

Jacob shook his head.

“Anyone ever come visit?” Asked Carlos.

Jacob scoffed. “Not until recently.” He said gruffly.

“Hmm, indeed.” The deputy nodded. “But hey, at least I’m a friendly face, right?” He chuckled at his own words.

“Nice mistah seem fwiendwy to me!” The stallion suddenly chimed in. He had reappeared at Jacob’s side, startling both men.

“Is that…?” Said Carlos.

“What are you doing?” Jacob groaned with his face in his palm.

“Wha?” The fluffy asked confused. He walked over to the deputy and sniffed his boot. “Nice mista don’t smew bad.”

Carlos laughed as he pet the little pony. “Man you’re even cuter than I imagined!”

“Dankoo nice mistah!” The fluffy replied, wagging its tail with glee.

“Well the cat’s outta the bag now.” Jacob sighed. “I suppose you’ll be taking them back to their owner?”

“Fat chance.” Carlos replied. “Their escape just saved them from being taken to the pound once we finally get to raid the place.”

“You’re going to arrest them; the McClay family?” Jacob inquired.

“Soon, hopefully.” Carlos sighed. “As long as everything goes according to plan.”

“And what plan is that?” Asked Jake as he folded his arms.

“I’m your backup!” Carlos replied with a smile. “Not to mention that I’m your official legal witness. I’m just chalked full of invaluable uses!”

“Not afraid of getting shot?” Jacob asked coldly.

Carlos put on his sunglasses and lit a cigarette before pulling out his side arm. “This little gal here is a Glock G43X Subcompact Semi-Auto Pistol. I’ve got three more clips for a total of 40 bullets. I’m the best damn shot in all of Rocky Foot. I even made it to the state finals and took bronze last year. I ain’t scared of putting my skills to good use defending my fellow citizens. You might be a mountain man that left society behind, but you’re still in Rocky Foot county. I’m sworn to protect you, whether you like it or not.”

“I see.” Jacob nodded respectfully. “You truly are a man of honor. I agree to your request to be my backup. I feel a lot better now with another gun at my side. Those damn McClays don’t stand a chance.”

“Well now let’s not get ahead of ourselves.” The deputy warned. “The McClays are no joke. They’ll be well armed and vicious, no doubt about it!”

“Then we’ll just have to be more vicious.” Jacob said cooly. “Follow me.” He said as he entered his cabin. He opened his gun safe yet again and pulled out another hunting rifle: a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Hunter Rifle. He tossed it along with a box of ammo into Carlos’ arms. “That outta suit you, Mr. Sharpshooter.”

“Wow! A genuine Pedersoli!” Carlos fawned as he looked down the sights of the gun. “This’ll turn things in our favor, no question!” He then stood up and locked eyes with the mountain man, the stallion wagging his tail by his side. “But it’ll take more then guns to win this.”

“Agreed.” Jacob nodded. “Come help me build some more defenses while we still have time.”

Chapter 9
Chapter 1

9 Likes

oooooooooh is ROCKIES
i was searching for the story using the “rookies” word so i wasnt finding anything i though you deleted your profile or something xD

1 Like