Join the potential dev team and let's make a game! -CLOSED-

Wasn’t there a post compilation for assets that were free to use for fluffy games somewhere? The modular somethingorother?

3 Likes

Interesting. I can be a mobile tester, since i dont have anything else good to do.

4 Likes

I don’t know fuck or shit about development.

But if there’s a developer fund, I’ll pitch in a couple bucks.

4 Likes

im trying to teach myself Game Maker, tho im no good as of yet lol

i could also help with sprite work & animation

6 Likes

Just started coding and barely know anything maybe I can help with drawing out or making ideas?

4 Likes

I’d die to see something actually happen. I’ve watched so many projects come and go in the 9 or 10 years I’ve followed this community. As individuals, probably none of us have the skill, resources, or motivation to make a complete game, so I think forming a group is a fantastic idea.

I have nothing to contribute, but just know that you have one weirdo’s persevering and unconditional hype, and that I’ll be watching development with great excitement.

5 Likes

If I had any suggestions to make, I’d say set limits to how much any individual can work in a period of time. It seems like a lot of projects die because the dev works 60 hours a week for a couple months and then are too frustrated and burnt out to continue.

Maybe no more than 24 hrs a week / per dev? Just an idea.

4 Likes

I’d really love to see a completed ‘Fluff Sim’ or that sort. The existing one is already a pretty nice base, but from my understanding development halted and never really reached its full potential. I came from the yukkuri community (a kind of similar fluffy-like community with sentient sweet pastries based on the characters from Touhou) and there’s a handful of good games that fulfill that sim-like game like Eight View of Yukkuri (bit of gameplay here: 【ゆっくり八景】うんうん体操【ゆ虐】 - YouTube), it has so many details like yukkuri reacting to each other, to different types of food, abuse tools that affect both emotional and physical as well as caring potential, bonding to both the player and other yukkuri, aging, breeding, adoption through stores, the streets, and much more.

I’m learning game dev myself during my spare time, with some light coding study and 3D modeling, not really at the level of anything to output quality work but I’d love to help in any sort of way assuming something can get laid out. I have a lot of media experience at least including video production and editing if that can come to play somehow too. Regardless, best of luck, and hopefully there’s something we can all contribute and output together!

3 Likes

As a web developer and game dev enthusiast, I’ve spoken at length on the subject of Fluffy Game Dev before, but I’ll gladly reiterate some points.

A Fluffy game is a great idea, but anything beyond what you call “flash games” is a tremendous undertaking that will take months or more to finish. Game development isn’t really difficult per sé, it just takes a lot of time and coordination, both of which are at a premium for a lot of people. Ultimately the issue isn’t that we don’t have talented people, but rather that with how things stand, you’d be looking at multiple years of development if you want anything more advanced than a simple simulation game.

The best example I can come up with for this is Katawa Shoujo, a game that was made entirely by a group of 4channers that banded together. And they quickly realized just how underprepared and how much of a gargantuan task it really was. You’d quickly be facing issues with people leaving or not pulling their weight, tasks being started by one but then abandoned and nobody else easily able to pick up what they left behind, etc.

I’ve helped out @eidalac with his Fluffy Tycoon for a good bit, but lately haven’t had the time or motivation to help out any further (though surely will get back to it). Originally it was a one-man project, but it went a lot smoother with the two of us. @uninstallwizard was also involved for the art. Because it was a smaller team things were easier to communicate, but to confirm what Luckert was saying:

This is a real issue. Once you exceed, let’s say, more than 5 people in a project, you’ll have to start hiring people to manage everyone, and it quickly spirals into a messy affair unless people are dedicated to a fault, which is a big ask since it’s a non-profit endeavor.

Ultimately, your take aways should be that if you want to plan a real game you need a real, decisive vision for the game. A roadmap is good. You also need to decide early on what programming language and / or engine you’d like to use. Scope creep is real, keep your initial prototype simple and easy, and iterate on the concepts as you develop them. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Do not even consider tackling anything greater than an average indie game, you do not have the resources for that.

I’d be willing to lend my assistance, but my specialty is JavaScript / TypeScript, both of which aren’t suited for 3D development, if that’s something you want to pursue. I’m also able to do Python, and by extension could probably help if you wanted to tackle something in Godot as an engine. Besides that, I just have a couple years of general development under my belt, but I’d be willing to assist if you feel it necessary.

5 Likes

I am aware that this is a big undertaking, and that things may not go as planned.

But now that I see all of the potential problems written down…

Oh well, we will see were this goes, if this goes!

3 Likes

90% of the issues in a large software project can be cut off at the pass with enough planning and documenting of expectations and goals.

The remaining 10% you can get rid of by guiding middle management off a cliff.

6 Likes

I know a little bit of 3d modeling. Is the game going to be 3d?

2 Likes

I’ve always had a sneeking suspision that fluffies were derived from yukkuri

but as someone who’s never made a game outside of rpg maker my advice is to copy someone elses homework.

Do you want a pet sim where you play with a hand full of fluffies or a god game were you handle herds at a time.

What is the win condition; so that there’s an actuall game play loop and it’s not just a digital toy where you murder small animals.

2 Likes

Actually you could probably make some really interesting games about fluffies in RPG Maker if you wanted to. Maybe something like a semi-parody of a horror game where you play as a fluffy and have to find your way to skettiland?

2 Likes

you could do something like mad father or witches house, but look at my name and tell me what kind of game you think i’d like the most

2 Likes

Ahh, I see.

An ultra-violent parody of ‘Toilet in Wonderland’ of course.

2 Likes

yeah man, it this game doesn’t look like a cannable corpse cover imma fuckin riot

3 Likes

I only found out about fluffies myself thanks to another friend from the yukkuri community talking about them, and the similarities are astonishing. From the cutesy speak/language, to the various types (i.e smarty fluffies and shithead yukkuris), how they both are rapidly breeding, with them being treated as pets, wild pests, the huge amount of community-driven lore and established traits, and more.

On topic, I can second stuff like RPGMaker and Gamemaker and other easy-to-use engines too. can get pretty creative with them on mechanics as well and there are plenty of resources out there.

2 Likes

Fundamentally true of the technical aspect of making a small game. Game design and experience design is far from trivial. So safer to make a clone + lower your expectations on polish levels.

Making a AAA, to include technical and creative breakthroughs, is difficult. It is not just a sequence of trivial but time consuming and hard to coordinate chores.

1 Like

What type of game are we talking exactly?

1 Like