Just Trying To Make It, part 6, by Swindle

You glare at all the other fluffies with your good eye; it’s hard to see with only one eye working. They all back up a step or two, some of them making scaredy poopies.

“Whewe- WHERE baby mummah?”

None of the fluffies step forward.

“Where baby mummah?!”

Finally, one of the fluffies speaks up.

“Babbeh nu haf mummah nu mowe. Owangey-whitey munsta haf mummah fow nummies.”

“Why smarty mad at baby?”

“Dat babbeh am bad babbeh. Mummah hide bad babbeh fwum smawty, babbeh cum out fow miwkies aftew munsta get mummah.”

You look at the baby. It’s chirping in alarm and pain, but it doesn’t seem severely injured. You nudge it with your hoof; it seems ok, just scared and bruised.

“Why am bad baby?”

The other fluffies look at you like you have two heads. Are they all stupid? You repeat yourself, slowly.

“Why am bad baby?”

“Dat… dat bad babbeh!”

They’re still looking at you like YOU’RE the stupid one. You sniff the baby; it doesn’t smell like a dummy baby. You nudge its head; its horn is nicely formed. You inspect the legs; no deformities. You check the wings; they flutter as the distressed baby chirps for its mummah. You sniff it again, just to be sure.

“This baby am good baby.”

The assembled fluffies all shift uncomfortably, looking at each other. One finally ventures, “Nu munsta babbeh?”

“No! Baby am good baby.”

“Otay. Babbeh am gud babbeh.”

You nudge the baby with your muzzle.

“This baby too wittwe- LITTLE. Need new mummah. Who am be this baby’s new mummah?”

You see three mummahs with foals, some of them little chirpy foals like this one. They all look away from you and one tries to hide behind a mare. You’re irritated. What’s wrong with these fluffies?

Fed up, you pick the little foal up in your mouth and carry it, chirping, to your mare.

“Can mummah take new baby?”

She looks at the chirping foal suspiciously, but after sniffing it and having the scared thing hug her muzzle, she snorts and moves it to her milkie places. The way it latches on and suckles shows how desperately it needed milkies.

“Mummah nu suwe bout babbeh, but mummah take cawe uf babbeh if hewd weadew say so.”

Good enough. Her blue and red babies climb off her fluff to nuzzle and greet their new sibling.

“Yay! Wuv nyu sista!”

The red colt just said his longest sentence yet. You’re proud of him; he’s doing everything so quickly! Maybe… maybe you can teach him things like big brother taught you?

Oscar brings your attention back to the other fluffies, looking at them wide-eyed and asking, “Whoo aww dese fwuffies?”

You look back at the others, panning your head further than usual because of your bad eye; you hope the vision comes back in your eye soon. You count them… three mummahs with babies, four more mares, the two toughies (the one you bucked is starting to get up again, bleary-eyed), and another pointy stallion cringing behind a couple of the mares; he’s the same colors as the smarty you just finished stomping into oblivion, but smaller. Maybe they were related. The toughie who backed down from you looks at you timidly, afraid to meet your eye.

“Fwuffy… fwuffy am nyu smawty?”

Wait- is he asking… you look at the other fluffies. These… these could all be your herd?

“Fwuffy am nyu smawty?”

“No!”

He backs away, startled.

“No am smarty!”

You puff your chest with pride.

“Am herd leader!”

Finally… you have a herd again!

That night, with the new herd settled into a big fluff pile for warmth, you sigh and snuggle your babbehs deeper into your fluff. A new sm- herd leader. He insisted he was a herd leader, not a smarty. You feel much safer now that the old smarty is gone.

Then another fluffy wriggles up against you and the old fear returns.

“Gif fwuffy miwkies!”

“Nuuu! Miwkies fow babbehs!”

“Gif miwkies ow get bigges owies!”

You huuhuu and roll to expose your miwkie pwaces. He shoves your babbehs aside, and when one chirps in protest he smacks it with his hoofsie.

“Nuuu! Nu huwt babbehs!”

“Quiet! Ow get owies!”

You huuhuu as quietly as you can, clutching your poor, chirpy babbehs to your chest. He latches onto one of your miwkie pwaces and starts sucking greedily, hurting you.

Your babbehs are always so hungry! Why can’t he just leave you with some?

“Babbehs nee miwkies!”

“Fwuffy say quiet! Wan owies agin?”

“Huuuhuuhuuu…”

He starts drinking from you miwkie pwaces again, deliberately gnawing on them to hurt you.

“What is dis?”

“Whu?!”

You look up and dimly see the new sm- herd leader. One of the toughies, the least mean one, is with him. The fluffy gets off of you and stammers.

“Uh-um, fwuffy am… fwuffy…”

The big, red stallion steps forward and glares at him.

“What you doing?”

“…eeeeep…”

The toughie speaks up, sounding disgusted.

“Him am miwkies feef. He steaw miwkies fwum aww da mummahs.”

The herd leader makes no response, just a twitch of the ears.

“Fwuffy… fwuffy am…” The milk thief seems to gain a little more confidence from the lack of response. “Fwuffy am du wat wan! Fwuffy bwuva am smawty! Fwuffy du wat wan!”

The herd leader’s response is a quiet question.

“Do fluffy see smarty anywhere?”

The milk bandit’s confidence wavers.

“Milkies am for babies. Not for big fluffies.”

“Fw… fwuffy du wut-”

“MIWKIES NU FOW BAD FWUFFIES!”

You curl up around your babies protectively, too scared to calm them down or stop their chirping.

“MIWKIES! FOW! BABBEHS! NU! FOW! BIG! FWUFFIES!”

“Owies! Owies! Nu huwt fwuffy! Pwease! Owies!”

The big, red herd leader finishes stomping on the milk bandit and steps back, breathing heavily and shaking his head angrily. The brown toughie accompanying him hesitantly steps forward and stands over the crying thief.

“Huuhuuhuu, why huwt fwuffy? Fwuffy am gud fwuffy! Nu huwt-”

“NU!”

Both you and the heard leader jump at this outburst. The toughie is shaking with barely contained rage.

“YOO STEAW MIWKIES FWUM AWW MAWES! NU WEAF ANY FOW BABBEHS! BABBEHS GET TUMMEH OWIES AND SICKIES! MUH BABBEHS GET TUMMEH OWIES AND WONGEST SWEEPIES! SMAWTY WET YOO DU WUT WAN, BUT YOO… YOO AM BAD FWUFFY!”

“OWIES! Nu huwt fwuffy! Pwease! Owies! Owies! Stahp! Nu huwt- OWIES!”

The toughie stomps and kicks the milk bandit over and over again and the herd leader watches in silence. Finally, the toughie finishes and just stands over the the huuhuuing milk thief, trembling and sobbing. The herd leader steps forward and gives the toughie a hug.

“It otay- okay. He never steal milk again.”

Turning to the smarty’s brother, quivering in pain and terror, the herd leader gives him another kick.

“You not part of this herd. Get out.”

“Bu-bu-bu! It cowd! Fwuffy nee fwuff piwe ow-”

“Get out. Or get longest. Sleepies.”

“Whu…”

“OUT!”

The milk bandit scrambles painfully to his feet and scrambles away into the darkness, huuhuuing at the unfairness of it all.

The herd leader approaches you and you cringe automatically.

“You okay? Babies ok?”

“Yu… yus. Babbehs otay.”

“Still have milkies for babies?”

You think you do. You push two of your chirping babies down to your milkie places and they quit chirping and start suckling. Oh good! Your third chirpy baby settles down a little and you hug her tightly.

“Good. If mummah have problem, let herd leader know.”

He walks away, trailed by the toughie, and you watch in wonder. Maybe… maybe things won’t be so bad now?

36 Likes

I’m surprised milk bandit isn’t a tag. Is that not a thing anymore?

9 Likes

It doesn’t seem to get used much.

4 Likes

Violence: The cause of and solution to all of life’s problems.

5 Likes

Very good read, @Swindle. He seems to be a good herd leader, and unfortunately that means they’re all going to get killed like his brother’s herd. I’m half expecting the exterminator to look at him and have deja vu. That said, I’d expect he’ll remember the spaghetti trick. But who knows?

3 Likes

Milk Thief is an interesting idea, considering how much Fluffy lore is based around unnatural relationships with their parents I’m surprised it’s not more common.

In that regards, I’m totally gonna steal it for my own stories at some point.

2 Likes

Like food, so long as we’re human it will always be given and received

1 Like

Also, fluffy society seems to be highly pain based.

2 Likes

I’ve not seen a lot of that but I’m also quite new. There’s years and years of stuff I’ve not read yet.

I’m thinking in a basic sense milk simply tastes better than grass. It is nutritious. I think forcing mares to give it (its more than just stealing in this case) also suggests they’re insecure and need to feel superior/better than the rest. Being the smarty’s brother enabled that.

Maybe. I’m good at over thinking stuff.

3 Likes

Big red is a really good leader at least if you look at it from a tribel culture standpoint.
In modern terms his operation modus of stomping every thing he don’t likes is debatebal if he was a human but for Fluffys it works till he meds his end by a stronger Fluffy in his case mostlikely a Alicorn stallion because they also stronger and smarter than normal Fluffys. You life by the Hofsies you die by the Hofsies.

1 Like

I do now recall a few recent things with a milk thief theme.

They’re very new, so you have probably seen them already. If not,

https://fluffy-community.com/t/worst-of-the-worst-part-1-by-vanner/22310/11

2 Likes

Is that milk thief that dead Smarty’s dumb brother? Hope he gets eaten by the stalker.

Love Red’s booming voice gives his strong authority :+1:

1 Like

I love how Swindle’s feral stories, and especially this series, is channeling some of Robert E Howard’s Conan stories.

And you’re right about this leadership style being frowned upon in modern corporate settings.
“HR department, how can I help you? Your unit manager did what exactly? For 35 minutes? And you’re saying security took an active part in helping your manager? Oh my God!”

2 Likes

Yup big fan of Robert E. Howard’s books not only Conan but Also Solomon Cane and Black Agnes.

His leadership still is to Wright found apon.
It is to easy to silence something you don’t like even if that thing or person is Wright.

And R.E.H. hat massiv problems with Society in his mind setting Civilization was weak and uncivilized is strong. But in reality it is completely different. Uncivilized “Barbarians” most of the time had no chance against a good driilet City Armie who had an Military industriell complex behind them.

Milk Bandits, on the old booru, were fluffies, often smarties, who were spoiled, greedy, and immature. They would steal milk from mares; sometimes this was through force, as in this case, sometimes it involved being sneaky and drinking from the mare while she was asleep. Milk is good, fluffy’s gonna get some. Foals often suffered from lack of milk as a result of the greedy Milk Bandit drinking most of it. I guess Milk Bandits are no longer a thing in the fandom though.

3 Likes

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

To be fair, fluffies only have three means of enforcing good behavior: social ostracization, hitting with their hooves (or horn if it’s a unicorn), or shitting on it. Big Red prefers the simplest, fastest solution and has zero tolerance for irredeemable fluffies. Which foal killers and milk bandits both qualify as.

Do bad shit, you get hit. Simple as.

2 Likes

A single warrior will typically beat a single soldier.

Two warriors will sometimes beat two soldiers.

A hundred soldiers will typically beat a hundred warriors.

There’s a reason the Romans generally beat ‘barbarians’ who lacked standardized military equipment, standardized training, combat formations, and formalized tactics. The handful of defeats they did suffer at the hands of barbarians are famous precisely because they happened so rarely.

1 Like

I kind of wonder if its something that ebbs and flows. Sort of like how folks notice “there’s a lot of new X right now” sometimes? Who knows, maybe this will inspire some more.

I know on the Diary Mares post that Bad Room and Weasel made that its kind of inefficient, meaning milk is a luxury food. They’d have to eat a LOT more than their normal share of food to produce enough milk to keep an adult fluffy full and healthy.

It is an interesting idea, and one that could come back. Who knows, maybe poopie babies and bestest babies will go out of fashion at some point. Or not. I guess that’s the interesting challenge with more organic, crowd-sourced “canons”.

1 Like