Justify the Color Hierarchy to me!

Note I actually want you to come up with an explanation or dispute these points, like I want to find a way to make sense of it. Seriously, the way it’s presented in most stories just doesn’t make any god damn sense. Like for one thing people get brown pets all the time, hell people might want a fluffy that matches their hair, and horse girls earthies that look like actual breeds. Plus a caramel brown fluffy with a blonde mane or a black fluffy with a white mane is gonna sell a hell of a lot better than neon yellow with a purple mane. So unless they have an understanding of color theory brown and black being bad is just really really stupid. Secondly before you use the gatcha ball argument fluffies aren’t really collectible unless you’re gonna be like a crazy cat lady. Like any small to mid size mammal they’re decently high maintenance pets who leave a hell of a mess when they die and are considered an invasive species that’s a major nuisance. So I fucking doubt people in the first world would be releasing tons of them when they got bored especially when shelters seem quick to use euthanasia in universe. Especially if shit like fall of cleveland happened, assuming people would want them no one would discard them alive making collection impossible for all but the uber rich. Wouldn’t temperament, Unicorns, Alicorns, Pegasus and bowel control be the main focus with breeders after people’s complaints about fluffies become well known?
Third thing can fluffies be conditioned to like brown or poopie colors? Suppose they were a single foal and their stuffy friend was brown or dark green, would the poopie be bestes or second bestes assuming that happens or would they just hate the toy for being brown and immediately ask for better one? If the latter then they’re probably kinda racist and prefer light, fair haired owners with bright clothing to others even if they aren’t outright disdainful of them? Or do only white people and northeast asians buy fluffies making them one of if not the first discrete privately ownable products to have segregation?
Finally assuming that Hasbio or whoever owns FLufftv is pushing babies hard, and fluffies are supposed to be family pets. Do you think that any child who actually cares for the fluffy wouldn’t be decently upset about foal rejection? Going with childlike equivalency then a fluffies treatment of it’s foals could very well convince a middle or more sensitive child that their parents vastly prefer their other siblings to them.
If everyone views them as pests and they aren’t sold commercially (making breeding irrelevant) or they’re primarily bred for furs ignore all this.
Also in4 don’t question it! Let me enjoy worldbuilding!

11 Likes

I’m working in a story that exsplains it, to keep away from spoilers its mostly just superstition and misinformation.

4 Likes

I always went with the idea HasBio ingrained the hierarchy as a way to only have colors people would want for profits rather then considering the consequences at all.

7 Likes

But Hasbio was supposed to have a monopoly on em.

4 Likes

Exactly!
I always think of the scummy things corpos are known for. Cause it all basis in real life shit that has occured due to human greed.

7 Likes

But then color really doesn’t matter much especially as those foals could be sold for less. Allowing more of a surplus.

4 Likes

To avoid spoilers for a story I’m excited about, fluffy farms (Hasbio was liquidated in my canon) specifically Black mountain co push these rare and exotic colors so they only want exotic colors, but they think leaving one or two foals with the mother will keep them happy. These end up being brown and dark green foals, but because their fluffies they think it’s a punishment (the entire story later) brightly colored fluffies are picked off easier bing bang boom brown equals bad luck. But only among the feral population.

7 Likes

That does make a lot of sense.

3 Likes

I tend to avoid it being inbuilt, if anything because fluffies are childlike indoor pets, people tend to decorate their enviroments with bright fucking colors, (I doubt fluffies insinctively care much seeing as they didn’t evolve from frugavores like us) with the only brown thing they experience besides other fluffies being their own shit. If you raised a fluffy in an enviroment with no red except for blood, chances are they’d be terrified of their red foals, or with brown toys and no yellows hate yellows for being pee colored.

4 Likes

That’s why I like the superstition angle, superstition is nonsensical, and keeping it among ferals deals with the “oh God my pets violently murdering its children” problem.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is actually the origin of the poopie babbeh phenomena and why everyone hates technicolors in one universe I’m writing. It’s not even inbuilt making it even more tragic.

5 Likes

I feel the same, going for an overarching theme of lost innocence.

4 Likes

The two main elements involved here are “Color Psychology”, and the “genetic preprogramming”.
Humans react to each color in a different and subtle way, or not so subtle. In fluffies it rises from the “nurture” aspect in how people treat them based on their color, how much they portray and repeat these learned behaviors, and educate offspring by example.
Under “genetic programming”, in parallel to human “Color Psychology”, a birthing mare or any fluffy is predisposed to react negatively to certain colors and cull them from the herd. This has a chance at regulating what colors remain dominant in future generations. The alicorn “monster baby” reaction (inspired by humor) would be an unintended result of the complexities of trying to genetically program complex behaviors.
The overall intention being to maintain clean vivid colors, avoiding muted hues and various fecal umbers, in-line with the policies displayed in the “source material”.

6 Likes

The problem with this is that there are brown, black and grey ponies in the show that are fan favorites assuming it’s not literal shit brown but also any brown or dark color. Also if you only count the main cast and they strive for show accuracy there’d be a big push against pastel green.

4 Likes

Fan favorites, but they are rarely used, included for comedy, and generally do not rank high in pony society.

5 Likes

But then that sorta takes away from other colors that are seemingly allowed as good, like white, blonde or pastel green. As said this also doesn’t explain why humans buy into the color heirarchy for non show accurates if anything browns would be artificially scarce and if people will buy a supreme brick, they’ll buy a brown fluffy assuming most mothers kill em.

4 Likes

By the way forgot to mention this, @ripoffMcgee
And I can’t remember there name on here but on discord it’s whelkamenrider
They helped a lot with work shopping the story, I’m very grateful.

3 Likes

He’s a standoffish dick but he’s a supremely creative, talented and well read standoffish dick.

3 Likes

Another big factor is the quantity of “authors” involved in creating fluffypony mythos, prejudices, cultural norms, counterculture angst, “favorite color” syndrome, “I’ll just do it this way”, and “hey, this will be funny”.
Blonde(pale yellow, amber, goldenrod) and white, would class as clean vivid colors, white has long (unknown thousands of years) been in human psychology as “purity”. And greens were not strictly avoided in MLP, but is generally considered a masculine color, thus sidelined based on the target audience.

4 Likes

I like him, he talks and thinks like my brother.

2 Likes