Justify the Color Hierarchy to me!

Oo, good one, the “virtue signalling” of SJW.

4 Likes

Sorry to sound like a dick but it is an argument for a reason why people would realistically want brown ones besides mere scarcity. Anyways while I respect your opinions on the motives of the writers this really isn’t what I’m asking about.

4 Likes

Yea celebrity’s love to do that stuff for social media.

3 Likes

Even virtue can become a commodity.

3 Likes

I understand the potential for the classic critique of humanity “humans are the real monsters” but in this case, it doesn’t make sense to me personally. The most exotic colors for regular pets are orange and maybe yellow. But it’s mostly browns and blacks I just don’t see regular people hating those colors exclusively in a fluffy. Unless fluffies surpass cats and dogs in popularity I just dont see the reason in it.

4 Likes

My justification.

Buttercup’s Babies by:DeusLibra

5 Likes

While it explains why the fluffy believes it, it still doesn’t explain why the humans do assuming they know fluffies can have more than one litter and that you know genes come from both parents. Great story though.

4 Likes

Fluffyponies are an engineered alternative to the purse chihuahua. A “fashion accessory”, or that bunny given to a kid on Easter, eventually the reality of animal husbandry sets in and treatment can decline… or they dump the animal.
Colors of a fluffy are imagined as what the target audience would most want, would pair well with usage, the unnatural and varied colors being something not conventionally available in any other pet. It is easy to get a brown cat, a brown bunny, a brown guinea pig, or a brown dog, the marketing spin is fluffies are available in a wide range of colors, why settle for a brown fluffy.
A business eliminates inventory that doesn’t sell well, “natural” colored fluffies appear to the consumer as “common”, and would not have a high appeal compared to the other choices… particularly when compared to the advertising and marketing surrounding the product.

5 Likes

Oh, simple terms they don’t, well at least most of them don’t. In my head canon, white and special colors are more valuable, and brown is very common as it takes precedence over most color genes. Poopie colors aren’t necessarily hated, they just arent worth as much, and in the stories case the guy doesnt want them because he’s trying a get rich quick scheme to breed valuble colors.

5 Likes

The problem is that how long that would last, assuming the majority of em are bright colors brown will be seen as unique. Also if the main point of fluffies is they’re colorful and not that they talk and play like humans (better selling point), why even have them birth bad colors in the first place? Like fluffies are a fucking talking pet, you wouldn’t need color to get people excited until way after the novelty wore off and then there could be way better gimmicks. Like I can totally see there being fluffy updates.

3 Likes

Actually makes sense if most fluffies are brown or dark colors. Though that’s still more spoiled child vs the rest rather than normal children vs hated pariah.

3 Likes

The thing that irks me about that is I don’t see a reason for there to be brown fluffies then. If Hasbio could make neon pink fluffies why would they include brown as an option. And if we’re assuming it’s a leftover trait from whatever genetic ancestor is in them then I still have problems with that because wouldn’t they advertise them to an equal extent?

3 Likes

It is not intentional. Imagine the addmix and cobbled together genetic elements that could be used to splice together the fluffy master genome… DNA is not stable, and expression of undesirable traits is just normal probabilities.
Now imagine trying to modify the genetics of a creature that was released prematurely into the wild, and has propagated worldwide.

edit: Monsanto has many lawsuits against them for this very issue.

4 Likes

Of course but that still doesn’t explain why it wouldn’t be the main thing on the list if color was that big of a selling point (Doubtful assuming that level of genetic engineering, you could probably buy a mini velociraptor engineered from chickens let alone a blue cat). Like if anything mental architecture would be the bigger issue and then they wouldn’t have mass breeding if they were unfinished prototypes? Assuming genetic and mental similarity it’s literally pointless to have mass breeding until you perfect em. Second of all fluffies are way too neotenous and child focused to be an accesory and not basically a child substitute/ friend for your kid you can buy.

3 Likes

I see how the leftover genetics could be a cause, but that brings us back to the original question. Why wouldn’t they also be popular, a lot of people couldn’t care less about the “common” nature of their pooch, people don’t usually get dogs for their “uniqueness”. Of course there are exceptions, plenty of poor black cats are giving back to shelters as soon as Halloween is over. But that’s a disappointing minority.

3 Likes

Humans dont treat them as pariah, and fluffies regard them mostly with indifference or, at times, pity, as other fluffies believe that “Daddeh’s don’t want poopie colors” leading to mothers devoting less time and miwkies to the brown foal, and more to foals that look like the mother.

A main part of my head canon is that fluffies (at least ferals) have been excessively and exaggeratedly vilified by the media and Hasbio itself.

4 Likes

I’d like to clarify, I love debating and I enjoy your points.

3 Likes

many rich people get dog breed precisely for their uniqueness. Pugs, poodles, weiner dogs, all are specifically bred for their aesthetics. For designer fluffies, this would be the same, rich people breeding specifically for the aesthetics.

4 Likes

Of course, as said your headcanon actually works. Though assuming open source on the DNA code this could lead to all sorts of fluff variants custom made to the person. “Oh yes my fluffy has sabreteeth and a massive cock!” “Well mine has a third eye that emits bursts of light.”. So getting better colored fluffs rather than some custom abommination is seen as droll by real high rollers.

4 Likes

I’m not talking about the super-rich, I’m talking about you about me and every other jo shmo walking down the road. I can see neon colors being so expensive that most people would probably just get a brown one.

4 Likes