Mages of mundanity part 1 by (that1hugboxer)

You are Moxiemo the unflattenable, master of Fizzination. Carbonated beverages and those who make them are at your mercy. For lesser men such power would turn them to tyrants , you however maintain your path among the straight and narrow by never using your power for personal gain. You till the gummy bear field each day earning just enough kroner to keep a roof over your head, Cheetos in your pantry and Mr pibb in your mini fridge. It’s not a glamorous life but it keeps your intrusive thoughts of world domination safely imprisoned behind an iron curtain of self imposed peasantry. Your fluffy named after the life giving manna found within your pantry is your only companion along this road we call life. You protected the local village of mimes from the many dangers of the wilderness. From simple nuisances like dragons and giants, all the way up to major threats like feminists and veganism.

The local mime population has called upon you and your fluffy familiar cheedoh to aid them in a battle against one of your contemporaries from Arcanum Academiae mundanae. (AAM for short)

Haricotense uppercrust a powerful practitioner of culinary arcana with dominion over the forces of beaned toast. Truly a fearsome adversary indeed .
You and cheedoh approach the mime village and find Haricotense raining heavy ordnance of bread shells filled with beans upon the silently panicking masses.

“Haricotense! Cease your torment of the selectively mute this very instant!”

Haricotense turns her gaze to you and you familiar.

“Well well look what we have here!
Maximo the unflattenable! I have little time for you and your parlor tricks. Some of us have actual magic to practice, so unless you want to be target practice I suggest you retract your previous demands and return to your shanty posthaste!”

“I cannot stand by while you strike down the innocent with your draconian cuisine !”
You lift your staff of stacked soda cans and call upon the carbonated powder within. A torrent of carbonation propelled soda rages forth halting the descent of a beaned toast shell headed straight for a mime mother and her mime child.

“Your companion shall be your downfall!”

Haricotense calls upon her fluffy familiar and creates a golem of beaned bread for him to command.
“Pinto transmute the town’s water supply into beans.”

“Do my ears deceive me!? Haricotense! Cease your bluffing ! Your power is that of beaned toast not beans !”

Haricotense shakes her head sarcastically.

“Moxiemo. Moxiemo. Moxiemo. You silly little man! I control both beans and toast!”

The ground begins to shake as millions of beans erupt from the earth engulfing the whole town in a tidal wave.
Cheetoh uses your power to create a shield of carbonation protecting the local population. Both yourself and Cheetoh are hit full force by the beans. The dust settles revealing that you and Cheetoh are defeated.

Haricotense walks over and picks up Cheetoh by his neck flab .

“You are unworthy of a familiar. And per the rules of magic duels , cheetoh is now mine.”
“Cheetoh nu wan go wid meanie bean wady ! Cheetoh wan stay wid daddy!”

Haricotense thumps Cheetoh on the nose.
“Owchie !”

“ quiet! You ungrateful runt! You’re lucky to have me as your new master!”

Haricotense creates a portal of toast and walks through with her now two familiars. The portal closes behind her.

You look behind you and see that the mimes were spared by Cheetoh’s shield

Battered ,bruised and familiarless you seek the counsel of Īṇṭa the foundational . You are pointed to a mud valley by your old mentor.
As you trek across the valley you find several villages worth of mud brick houses scattered across the landscape. You spend the day checking each of the brick structures in search for Īṇṭa. As the sun sets you notice a fire flickering in the distance. As you approach a figure is illuminated by the fire’s glow. A short small framed man sits in the mud crafting bricks by hand and laying them to dry by the fire. His Wrinkly hands caked with mud continue to work away at bricks as you attempt to talk to him.

“Īṇṭa the foundational I seek your wisdom in a most dire of circumstances. I have nothing to offer other than this unopened can of Mr pibb!”

Īṇṭa looks up at you with his ancient face beset with many cavernous wrinkles and in a thick Indonesian accent begins to speak.

“Sit by the fire my slightly less elderly guest.”

You sit down in the mud eagerly awaiting his counsel.

“What troubles you dear guest?”

“Haricotense has mastered two different kinds of magic. She destroyed a peaceful community of mimes and took my familiar.”

Īṇṭa begins to laugh.

“ exalted Īṇṭa why do you laugh at my misfortune?”

“You misunderstand the target of my laughter dear guest. No practitioner of the arcane can learn more than one kind of magic in their lifetime.not even if they lived an eternity.”

“But exalted Īṇṭa how then did she manipulate the beans and toast separately?”

Īṇṭa picks up a clump of mud.

“Tell me dear guest what do i hold in my hand?”

You think for a moment before answering.

“ exalted Īṇṭa that which you hold in your hand is mud.”

Īṇṭa smiles .

“Is that so?”

Īṇṭa shapes the clump of mud into a brick.

“Tell me dear guest what do I hold in my hand?”

“Exalted Īṇṭa that is a mud brick.”

Īṇṭa points to one of the mud brick houses.

“Tell me dear guest what do I point at?”

“Exalted Īṇṭa that is a mud brick house”

Īṇṭa uses his magic to sink the structure into the ground.

“Tell me dear guest which do I control ,the house, the brick or the mud?”

You think for a moment and answer truthfully.

“Exalted Īṇṭa I do not know.”

“Magic”

“Exalted Īṇṭa I do not understand.”

Īṇṭa picks up a mud brick and crushes it into dust. The dust then forms a sphere around you and Īṇṭa.
Within the sphere a night time sky appears complete with a moon and stars.

“Even with an eternity to study, no one can learn more than one type of magic .”

“Exalted Īṇṭa if everyone can only learn one type of magic . How then can you do all of this?”

“Because there is only one type of magic to be learned. The mud, the brick , the house are all simply catalysts for magic itself.”

“Haricotense is so much more talented than me , how can I hope to defeat her?”

Īṇṭa laughs once again.

“My dear guest magic is not a talent, none emerge from the womb with greater or lesser aptitude for it. Magic is a skill and just like all skills we must learn, struggle, succeed and fail in order to hone and improve it.”

“Success is not instantaneous both in life and in magic, what you put in determines what you receive.”

“Exalted Īṇṭa your wisdom is truly priceless!”

“Tell me dear guest did you not promise me a carbonated beverage in return?”

You let out a hardy laugh .

“Indeed I did exalted Īṇṭa, indeed I did.”

3 Likes

I am both enthralled and disgusted. Looking forward to more!

1 Like

That’s basically my reaction to 90% of the content on this site. Glad to know it’s come full circle

1 Like

Are you enthralled by the disgust?

1 Like

Most commonly, yes.

1 Like

This made me laugh, great work!

2 Likes

I’m thinking of having Moxiemo use a sealed glass bottle of soda as a wand

1 Like

Moxie?

1 Like

Where’s the fluffies in this story though? Y’know, beyond two spoken lines by one fluffy and maybe two mentions otherwise.

1 Like

That said, I do enjoy how chaotix chaotic the story is.

1 Like