Masquerade Bug by 3KindlyOnes

This is the Masquerade Bug, it is from the same genus or family as the Ambush and Assassin Bug. It lives in the swamp and it has behavior similar to both of these and a bit of Hermit Crab and hissing cockroach too. In its larval stage it eats the old egg it hatched from, then it molts and grows and its diet gets a bit carnivorous so it eats small wood mites or other miniscule invertebrates. Then it molts again and its more savage so hold onto your puke bags… it targets a mare and crawls towards a foal then stings the foal through the trachea to avoid it chirping or peeping for help and at the same time pimping it full of a toxic digestive enzyme coctail to paralyse and liquify its insides before slurping it up like a soup. Then it hauls the corspe away and empties any remaining insides including bones before crawling inside and wearing it like a suit. The skin suit masks itself with the scent of the foal to not rouse suspicions in the mare and other foals in the litter. The bug will secretly start to slurp up the other foals 1 by 1 under the cover of night (you can imagine how scary it would be for the mare each morning to see a drained dead foal. Another adaptation that the Masquerade Bug has is the breathing holes at the sides of its abdomen can expel air to mimic the sounds of a foal with cooing, chirping and peeping. Normally by the time it finishes the rest of the litter, it will go through the final molt and shed their disguise and needs a bigger source of food which is the mare. The preferred target for its prey is the back of the neck, which exposes the toxic brew of enzymes into the nervous system which if it doesnt kill her straight away, derpification and paralysis are a likely outcome if their organs doesnt turn into soup or starvation, predators etc will end her suffering.
Now that the Masquerade Bug is an adult, it takes a new approach to hunting, its exoskeleton resembles mossy bark to help camouflage and is large enough to prey on adult fluffies. The abdomen developed a glamd that exudes a strange aroma only keen to Fluffy sense of smell which to their brain smells like spaghetti and this is used to draw away foragers or stragglers from the herd. When isolated, the bug will descend from the side of a tree or rotting log or from behind then stings the back of the neck with the syringe-like proboscis and begins to inject the toxic digestive cocktail into the Fluffy. Impeding the Fluffies attempts to fight or flee and its pleas fall on deaf ears as it is drained into a husk before the Masquerade Bug leaves to hunt again until it gains enough nutrients to lay eggs scattered in dank areas of the swamp then the cycle begins again.

This is the first time I posted my own drawings here and hopefully i tagged it correctly, also I kinda formatted this page akin to Ark Survival Evolved bestiary pages. I hope you like this creepy critter of the everglades and if you have any questions about them feel free to ask.

26 Likes

I need a transcript of what the image says cause I’m having a hard time reading it.

4 Likes

Sorry… the transcript is basically what I typed below the pic

1 Like

Were can i get one ? To … i don’t know torture a smarty mare with it ~

1 Like

louisiana, more exclusively or Florida.