[megalist] Fluffy changes: Booru to FC!

Inspired by some art and posts, I decided to do this interesting summary. What tropes are more common and what is fading.
PLEASE comment your observations so I can add them!

This is only for fun and not a rule. Some ‘FC tropes’ were on booru and some ‘from Booru’ still exist

Getting Smarter
I noticed fluffies are getting more clever than in old art. It’s shifting towards smart but naive from dumb as bricks
There is also more actually smart fluffies (Boop, Angel and BFM for example)

Grayscale
Normal fluffies are no longer only good angels or mean gremlins. More fluffies understand the bittersweet life, not everyone is worth saving and being evil is sometimes the only option (on Booru it was mainly just smarty friends or clever mummahs)
I love this change! It plays nice into naive but smart
Human characters changed to morally gray as well, I don’t see many “pures” around

Fluffy pony drown and other tales
I can’t express how happy I am this is no longer a trope. Fluffy poni drown, random deaths, errors and robot bugs (“you have to press down on head and spine to restart your fluffy”)
Basically OG weirdbox. Yes, I am based as I don’t like weirdbox. Now it’s at least not as common

No Neon Needed
Painfully bright and neon colors are, especially in comics, no longer popular and too bright colors are actually not desired. Maybe that’s why some “poopie” fluffs are more loved - chocolate and neutral colors are prettier than neon rainbow
On the other hand I’m glad most mares still dislike all browns and such, and diarrhea and vomit are still counted as ugly

Patterns and species
While I’m taking about design, it’s also cool to see multicoloured fluffies, patterns and quirks
Species are controversial, but I still think they are important part of the community. There’s definitely more art of different species (e.g anthro, aqua and kitsune)

World building
This is probably the most interesting change. Stories shifted from the first fluffies just released to fluffies are already common. People usually understand what fluffies are, how they work and what to expect and understanding at least a bit of fluffspeak
Also term changed from fluffy pony/poni to just fluffy. Thankfully, shitrat stayed

Creation and behaviour
PETA and Hasbro are not being very used. Maybe to show the setting, but it’s uncommon to see these two getting referenced further
Hasbio is no longer a must, it’s not as hated or necessary. Hasbio created fluffies but that’s it, the rest is not mandatory (Turboencabulator and Nobody’s stories)
Fluffspeak changed, they no longer use I but their name, sketti instead of sgetti and it’s more universal, not five different spellings of ‘baby’
They are less fragile and death prone (forgetting to breathe, breaking all legs by stepping on a stone)

No shit, Sherlock
THANK FUCKING GOD fluffy no longer consists of 80% shit and 20% piss. Especially in art. While it is a fun trope, I appreciate a small puddle with a blob, not explosive diarrhea all over everything. In case of “sorry poopies” it is kinda understandable, but not fluffy drowns by shitting it’s heart out and producing 500kg of waste

10 Likes

Pretty much all of these things apply to my headcanon.

1 Like

Yep! Some were written with your hc in mind, actually ^^ mostly the world building ones

1 Like

Your headcanon applies to everything and everything applies to your headcanon at this point

4 Likes

I’m gonna introduce a race of living sinks just so people can’t say that my headcanon has everything but the kitchen sink.

2 Likes

A good post, but I will now assault you with five completely original Fluffy Pony Drowned stories out of spite. My apologies but it has to be done.

Give fluffy pony a chemistry model set
Fluffy pony assembles a plastic compound of two hydrogen molecules and an oxygen molecule
Fluffy pony drowns

Fluffy pony watches Justice League
Fluffy pony giggles, oo’s, aa’s at the different heroes in their costumes
Aquaman jumps into action
Fluffy pony drowns

Fluffy pony walks into a less-than-reputable bar
Fluffy pony watches a patron chew tobacco
Patron spits into a spittoon
Fluffy pony drowns

Fluffy pony walks into hospital
Fluffy pony sits in the maternity ward
Woman in maternity ward calls for a nurse
Woman says “My water broke!”
Fluffy pony drowns

Fluffy pony goes on FluffyCommunity dot com
Fluffy pony sees post about Fluffy pony drowned
Fluffy pony drowns

6 Likes

looks sadly at icon welp I guess its time to go. I’ll still have my Micron archive, you can’t take that from me.

2 Likes

Yeah. I much prefer more natural colors. Granted, there are some wild colors naturally occurring in animals and plants! Maybe “average” colors? Like the picture of @Carpdime reposted recently: the grey fluffy being the lesser one might’ve been then, but now? I’d like that a lot more myself. Granted I own a siamese-ish cat.

1 Like

I generally gravitate towards this.
I prefer fluffies to be somewhat intelligent but naive, or have a child like intellect.
Not only is that more interesting.
But writing about idiot characters is a lot more difficult then you’d think.

I love world building and like to make things fit.
And stil prefer to use Hasbio.

1 Like

This is definitely a problem I’ve had, I do worry sometimes that I’ve made Fluffies too smart at times, but trying to move a story forward when everyone is an idiot is often too hard to even bother with.

Naivety is the best way to approach them, some may know more than others, but most of them will lack context or understanding to fully comprehend the dangers of the world around them.

1 Like

quiet rage but why ;-;

Nooo! Who will look at my posts if you leave?

Tbh I’m really biased towards some weirdbox, but the rest is fine. I’m not dumb, I know I can just ignore content I don’t like unlike mostly-reddit users

On the audio commentary of Beavis and Butthead Do America Mike Judge talked about how difficult it was to get the story going, because the characters are idiots.
Things happen to them but they have no agency of their own, or desire to do anything other then watch TV.

I like to approach fluffies as having the intelligence of a dimwitted child.
Smart enough to put two and two together but not smart enough to think long term or about consequences or deeper concepts

It’s why i like to draw my kitsune fluffy Rambo playing with motu and Transformers toys for no other reason, then that they are blue like he is and he makes it up as he goes along.

( and its something else other then blocks and a ball)

4 Likes

But writing about idiot characters is a lot more difficult then you’d think.

This. I absolutely love bumbling idiot fluffies like in Fluffy Lake and The Fluff Testament, but like Mike Judge said, it’s very hard to write stories about characters like that. I try to keep my fluffies as silly as possible, but many gags and stories require the fluffies to have a little more intelligence to make them work.

2 Likes

I think dimwitted child is about the right level of intelligence for a fluffy.
Stupid enough to keep them bumbling idiot fluffies, but intelligent enough so you don’t wonder how they don’t drown in their own spit or haven’t forgotten how to breath.

3 Likes

Agreed, “I may be an idiot but I’m not stupid” which funnily enough is my favourite trope with human characters as well

I think the changes from Booru to FC are pretty much due to new (and older) artists & writers leaving older tropes like “fluffy drown” or “really dumb fuffies” or “black and white owners & fluffies” behind while trying new things like. smartening up fluffies, or allowing for more grey than 100% evil or good to allow for more creative freedom in their respective works.

I’ll be honest I missed out on Booru and it was by pure chance that I even found out about all this; but after looking at tons of images and reading stores I’ve seen the changes though I do love the inexplicable “fluff-Splosion”. It’s just the nature of a fandom things evolve and change sometimes for the worst other times for the better.

1 Like