Messing with a Fluffy Conlang

I’ve been messing with making a conlang (constructed language) based around fluffies. Basically developing fluffspeak into it’s own language, rather than just broken baby English.
I had the idea when thinking about how since fluffies mature and reproduce faster than humans, if they were real they would be perfect for studying how languages change over multiple generations.
I’m planning on developing it in a naturalistic manner. Basically I’m going to grab a bunch of fluffspeak words (with minimal changes) to make a dictionary for a proto version of the language.
Then I’ll simulate language evolution by making phonetic and grammatical changes.

Here’s some samples of the proto language:

Sample text
IPA
“Translation”

Fwuhfee stahmpee 'hoomehn
fʋʌfi stɑmpi humɛn
“I attacked/will attack/attack the human”

Fwuhfee smahwtee ehnfee mehw 'huhwd
fʋʌfi smɑʋti ɛnfi mɛʋ hʌʋd
“My leader fucked/will fuck/fucks many females”

Buhwnee auwee duhmeh
bʌʋni æuʋi dʌmɛ
“Fire hurt/will hurt/hurts the idiot”

It’s still fairly similar to regular fluffspeak, but hopefully over time it will become more distinct.
A lot of things still need to be decided or are open to change. For example, as you can see I haven’t figured out tenses yet.
Once things are more developed I might post guides to the language!

14 Likes

Interesting concept. I’m sure that it won’t have much use in stories, simply because it will be difficult to write and read stories with, but I’m curious what this will lead to.

3 Likes

I love this idea! I explored the concept of Fluffspeak as a constructed language in my story “Wan Pway”, but I haven’t really gone further with the particular rules/semantics, as I merely postulated the scenario. But I do agree with the approahc of treating fluffspeak as a constructed language, as fluffspeak is so unique to the fluffy fandom!

I look forward to seeing where you’ll go with this concept : D

6 Likes

bookmarked for interest in wild fluffies

@BFDI Rewatched an old Vox video that felt relevant to this topic

What if fluffies, depsite being taught/provided a limited language by humans, ends up developing specific tones and accents to accomodate their lack in linguistics? Like, take the example of “pway”. One version of pway could mean “play”, while another could the human conncept of “prayer”. Of course, the difficult then is how fluffies would be able to memroize/remember a specific tone give their general poor memory, but it’s something to stew over.

I do think that rural/wild fluffspeak would be very differemt from fluffspeaks among domestics, especially if the latter is regulated by humans (something I’ve been looking to explore)