Napoleon & Hipolyta #8 by Chikahiro

24 Likes

Dumb knows no limits, everyone’s welcome.

5 Likes

Yep. Don’t think it shows up nearly as often though. Not as interesting or as easy to write? I dunno.

7 Likes

Well, I’ll have it in Sophos at some point. Well, in a couple contexts, but I think it’s more who’s doing the writing than anything.

4 Likes

Don’t doubt it. I mean, honestly, I’m sure a lot of our preferences, biases, and unquestioned assumptions can come out when we make stuff.

5 Likes

Partially because it helps the aggression flow (you don’t see women among the SWAT guys gunned down in The Matrix for a reason) if its all males.
Partially because it echoes animals, or at least what people think animals are like.
Partially because many abuse creators seem to be men, and a Smarty Hellgremlin works as a stand-in for themselves until it comes for their big human self-insert to Pyramid Head away their shame.

Also, there is a bit of redundancy with matriarchal herds. You have a bad mother as the boss villain, pumping her up to Smarty just makes her a bad mother among adults, which due to how Fluffy writing usually works just means babies who have slightly more developed bodies.

In general, it is probably popular mostly because it “justifies” abuse. They’re racist (Poopies), ableist (Dummies), and also sexist (Mares are only good for making babies). That way the creator and intended audience feels good when the author stand-in disembowels their screaming infants, sodomizes their mate with a box cutter, then rips the bones out of their skin and off the muscle one by one until its a screaming pulp that a human takes a shit on then lights on fire with the last thing it hears being the screams of its mother as its skinned alive. Regardless of the logic of punishing for the sins of the husband/father.

I just chock it up to Hasbio echoing real life toys and marketing. For example, what Takara did to Airazor and Tigatron in the Japanese dub of Beast Wars. Same thing, executives and developers chose that females would never be “protagonists” so they only want babies and are always submissive. At least until natural selection starts weeding that programming out

2 Likes

Hipolyta sure is calm dealing with these shit :grin:

8 Likes

Comedy benefits from having the straight-man, so to speak.

Funny thing: when I start thinking for Napoleon, I always imagine him sounding like Rimuru from that Reincarnated As A Slime anime.

7 Likes

Ahhh I love that anime.

4 Likes

I like it, but I’m loving the Slime Diaries side-stories they’re doing. Its silly, restful, relaxing, very very slice of life. Kind of like the art better overall too.
…
And if it wasn’t 12:26am I’d want to watch Totoro now too…

4 Likes

then Hipowita is just dumb :v

2 Likes

Everyone is dumb at some point! I’ve got my own mental kryptonite.

Its more of a joke that I’m not sure I can even remember a female smarty. I’m sure I’ve seen/read about one but I simply cannot REMEMBER one.

4 Likes

I haven’t drawn one, but Priscilla and her mother.

4 Likes

well, I saw stories with female smarties when I arrived but not since
→ but this kind of joke just hit on my nerves >p<

3 Likes

Tis fine :slight_smile:

Given this is my attempt at a comedy comic, everyone is going to be stupid at some point :slight_smile:

2 Likes