Nature of Fluffies (WIP NOP AU by Ivigesib)

Greetings everyone! I am new here and this is my first post. Please understand and leave your corrections/thought in comments, I will check them later.

I imagine the shock and awe from galactic community when they hear about fluffies.
!!! Creatures that are Sentient and Empathetic from birth, are hated and bruitally murdered for simply existing.!!! And the most fricked up thing is, they were artificially created. Like, who would create forcefully sentient creatures, and then torture and eat them? I think even Axur would be agast by this.

Well Ladies and Gentelmen, I recently have read “Nature of Predators”, and then I have stumbled on Fluffies and read into it. And after few days, something clicked in my head, and I had this idea that I am sharing with you.

First of all, we need to draw out the state of humanity at the time of contact.

And let me tell you - it is Quite Bleak.
As we can imagine Fluffies would wreck natural world like we couldn’t believe.

Before describing it, I must say that we can easely imagine(or just look outside and see) that government will be either too slow(beuracrats waiting till it is too late) or too stupid (beuracrats doing what is easy or good for their wallet) to react properly to fluffy threat, and letting it go haywire.

Fluffies have eaten most of small plant life, and what is left are either too durable (Fluffies can eat almost anything, so only strong enough left) or poisonus (effects of toxic fluffy poo, collects toxins) for normal animals, or specifically fluffy proof (made to fight Fluffies, but got out of control, too strong) so not very edible too.
Bushes and Trees are damadged too: Fluffies eat all berries, but their digestion and toxic excretion made that only strongest or nonedible are left, and trees are poisoned by their waste, or by lack of vegetation around. This causes worsening of ozon layer, and subsequent increase in UV Light that worsens situation further.
As you can imagine, this killed off most of the big herbivores, and only most resilient or adapted survived. Most of big carnivores died too, only few left (fluffy shit toxins compound over time and kill big predators, because you need to eat a lot of Fluffies if you are big) . And this led to Massive population boom for Fluffies. Wich Led to huge boom in diseases, wich eventually transmitted to humans and other dna donor animals and killed a lot of them (both humans and animals) , even more worsening situation.

As for the ocean, I imagine that either fluffy Shit Toxins disrupted food chains (untill only most resilient can survive) or Water Fluffies did it. Either way - seas are fucked too. Water is now either can’t be naturally cleaned fast enough and/or polluted with fluffy Shit Toxins, so it is not good for anyone exept Fluffies and fluffy resistant plants.

All of this over centuries made air too unclean and outside too uncomfortable, so humans have to live in isolated places.

Now that this leaves us with, is following: almost no natural life, humans have to eat limited range of artificially breed fluffy proof - human safe plants, only fluffy meat left (as you don’t really have anything to feed other domestic animals, or it is cost deficient), and many people either killed or damadged bu fluffy-flu (depending on the time since the epidemic occurred it can be that humanity is not in danger, but still recovering, or recovered but left with scars), or/and are struggling fron high UV Light caused problems (like cancer) and General pollution. Yes, there might be some alicorn-girls smart enough to brighten your mood (and warm your bed), but overall picture is still bleak. You live in a pod away from sun and outside world, eat nutrient slop tasty enough to just bear it, and work all day just to do it again. You have little bit of online fun, a little bit of exercise to be healthy, and mabe some special time with special friend (human or else). You can’t have a family (there is not enough resources to go around and you need a hard earned permit for it anyway), and your future is bleak and only hope is to find some miracle in stars.

And All of this because of some fricking $0.50 Vermin Lab Chimera Mystery Meat Furball Shitrats and their Symphathisers!

Now to space:
Eventually humanity populates the moon, though living conditions are no better and sometimes even worse than on Earth.
And it turns out that artificial gravity (with interruptions every Thursday) is only good enough to not die too quickly, but not good enough to be healthy and have healthy offspring after only a few generations.
So after that there are a few conflicts between Spacers (or so called Hollowers - short from Hollow Boners, because their bones are fragile, like fluffie’s) and Earthers. They eventually reconcile and colonise Mars. It was okay - after so much time fiddling with genome they developed resisilie enough plants and bombardment with ice asteroids turned Mars into livable place.

Over time humans figure out how to travel FTL and start colonising the galaxy!

Then comes the fun part - first contact. And this is the hard part, because we have a few branching opportunities :

1. Humanity meets Venlil first and is friendly to them.
    I think it can go in a few ways:
    1.1 - Humans frick up and spill the beans about Fluffies and What Happens to Them.
    1.1.1 It’ll happen almost like in the book - Venlil and other herbivores find out what Humanity is (sentient torturing monsters) before giving them technology and the Federation will bomb them to smithereens.
    1.1.2 They find out after giving technologies. They help fight off Axur like in the book, but upon closer inspection Herbivores are horrified to know about Fluffies and their whereabouts. In this scenario nothing is certain, as we know that humans easely adapt and even improve ships and equipment. Maybe straight our war, maybe cold war, mabe reluctant alliance against Axur(because there is no better killer than predator) .

2. Humanity meets Herbivores first and is not really friendly to them. (centuries using sentient creatures as stress relief and food had left it’s toll on people - they are less sympathetic, especially to fluffy creatures and Venlil’s are alike)
    2.1.1 It’ll happen almost like in the book - Venlil and other herbivores find out what Humanity is (sentient torturing monsters) before giving them technology and the Federation will bomb them to smithereens.
    2.1.2 They find out after giving technologies. In this scenario human’s first contacter’s social and logical-scientific senses got them to understand and mimicry compassion and empathy (why not? They have a chance to get a normal planet and decent living if play their cards right.). They either end in war/cold war with them, or go full predator and find a new meat source and planets to conquer. Axur, after hearing and seeing what they Do to and what Is Fluffies, will probably leave them alone or try to trade/ally with (as much as you want to say that they are sociopathic maniacs and will make human BBQ, I have to remind you that they were in almost same weight category in space combat, and maybe lover in ground combat even with old humans weapons). Some humans surelly will try to fullheartedly ally with herbivores, but I can’t really see it happening (they will be scared shitless of humans and will work only with threat of Axur or worse).

3. Humanity meets Axur first. They’re going to try Humanity Strength anyway, that’s the kind of predators they are.
    3.1 Axur beats humans. Humanity gets reckt and eaten by them. Fin
    3.2 Axur, through the use of nukes and the cunning/hunting instincts of Humankind, doesn’t beat them. Humans fiercly fight back, and Axur retreat.
    3.2.1 Mankind is trying to unite with the herbivores on the basis of a shared hatred of Axur. For continuation just look at the first point, and continue from there.
    3.2.2 The Federation, even though Mankind is at war with the Axur, still refuses to ally. They have no choice but to prove their strength to Axur and start trading with them as equals. This takes many human lives and they turn their backs on the herbivores. Axur, after a beating, look at Mankind with a new eyes - they are strong, !!! They created their own intelligent food!!!, and they’re not bad guys if you look closely, almost an younger brother. Mankind with the help of cunning and strategy reclaims planets from the herbivores, learns new recipes from Axur, and in general life begins to get better.
    3.2.3 Mankind is trying to unite with the herbivores on the basis of a shared hatred of Axur, but with a twist of having their own goals. By this time, the Federation already knew about the new predator, just like humanity knew about the herbivores and their customs. People pretend to be benigh, tell a tearful story about an experiment that went out of control and almost killed them, how they have to suffer-survive hungry and cold (which is not far from the truth), and in general “we are just like you, let’s live in peace”. The herbivores take pity and reluctantly allowed into the alliance. Humanity fiercely proves its usefulness to them, and slowly but surely begins to spread humans across the galaxy. (What follows here is again a lot of choices from humans becoming the new predators, to hippie peaceful coexistence.)

I am tired right now, so I will continue writing this later. This is just a draft write on a telephone, so there are mistakes. Please leave comments and your thoughts/ideas. Thank you for reading to the end.

(This is only a rough draft, so i am not sure about Toxic Shit, and other scientific justifications. )

4 Likes

Yeah I’m really not sure about toxic shit, it’s just makes no sense.

Asymptomatic disease transmission due to their artificial biology and their “cuddly and friendly” nature actually do make a lot of sense.

And here’s some nitpicking I know it’s going to be annoying.

It also makes no sense for them to overcompete actually well adapted herbivores like rabbits and wild pigs, they can’t dig for roots and vegetables for example, and the sheer number of animals
would be needed to actually eat all fruit in an area is NUTS.

Living near wild fruit trees and animals, I can say for certain you would need a level of unnecessary harvesting that no animal eating just to fill their stomachs would be capable of.
Do you have any idea how much fruit from a single tree falls and rots on the ground every season?

It’s also extremely unlikely they would harm predators unless they really have toxic blood or something, the lack of effort to hunt them would be the biggest threat to predators, they’d be so lazy an unused to hunting that they would go hungry once there’s no fluffies left, even if a small fox has to eat four big adults per day, the sheer amount of fluffies needed to outcompete the herbivore population and/or threaten human agriculture would be more than enough to sustain a healthy and plump carnivore population.

People that think fluffies would be an ecological disaster must have never visited a farm, nor do they know that herds of 30 to 50 DANGEROUS wild hogs exist. No do they remember that locusts exist.

2 Likes