Now Hiring

is this supposed to be a persistent setting or can a creator go wild and use the characters as he, she, it sees fit or are all the stories expected to uphold the status Quo

Yes.

I’d like it to be persistent. I don’t want to tell people not to have fun, but if we want something shared, then there would have to be some kind of agreement

I would say try not to kill off the characters created by others. If you want to do something wild with a character, reach out to the creator.

I’d sort of look at a lot of the shared characters are tools to be used to enhance the stories told about original characters placed in the setting.

But I’m honestly curious about your thoughts. You’ve discussed the need for some actuals rules regarding “what is a fluffy”, and I think this is an opportunity to work within a confined setting. Granted, I want the confinements to be there for consistency, but not to choke creativity.

This would be a good place to bring back the old American Dream character Janice

After growing older and discovering what her dad has been doing with the fluffies she’d help him with, she decided to go on her own and try to make up for the damage she unwittingly caused with her dad. This farm seems like a nice enough place to do so. Especially having a soft spot for orphaned foals.

That’s sound like a good character arc. What sort of work do you see her doing?

Caring for injured fluffies, raising and training orphan foals or finding them new parents. She probably won’t have a high tolerance for smarties after what Hulk did. I think she’d try to correct the behavior if it was bubbling up in foals, but would see adults as a lost cause.

I could see her working in the school or the adoption center. In the latter I think she’d have a good eye for would-be abusers trying to pass as loving new owners due to her time with her dad.

I advocate for a definition of a base fluffy to build from not a limiting definition that states this and only this is a fluffy,
what you are setting up is much more rigid of a setting which makes sense since you are setting up a hug setting,
but I was hopping that the participants would join with the understanding that people could make what if stories that may not be in the same tone as the main setting but still use the established characters

I’m all for taking different tones. Really I’m advocating for not making permanent or irreversible changes to established characters.

And even then, it’s not like I’m going to rant and rave over something somebody else does. If you want to do awful things to my characters withing the setting because you have a story to tell, do it.

I have the option to simply disregard it and carry on with the story I wanted to tell.

I guess that’s sort of the question. What would interest the community more. A shared setting to build a community continuity as a collaborative work, or a shared setting from which to pick and choose elements to tell whatever stories they want.

a two-tiered system sounds like the way to go one the main story that you or whoever decides this is a cannon story and a secondary group of stories that use setting and characters but don’t impact the main story line

I was thinking along similar lines.

Basically when somebody goes in to a story, have an idea in mind of “am I contributing to the shared canon, or is this my own thing?”

They have a quick adventure planned but after that the schedule is open .

What is your project in need? DeepL seem to not tell me how can one help. Just write up characters?

I’m looking for shared characters to staff the ranch.

These characters can be humans or fluffies.

For example, I’m working on a character named Chris Park. He is Korean-American and he works as a ranger who patrols the ranch and helps the fluffies who live in The Wilds area. This character is going to be important to future stories I write, but will also be available for others to use in their stories.

1 Like

OK, thank you. I got no idea myself.

No worries. If you come up with something, the ranch can always use more characters. If you want to create something, read through this for some ideas:

How much will you pay me

Depends upon the job you are applying for.

That’s too much, I can’t accept a handout like that.

Some idea I had, hopefully you meant this:
Dr. Andorra, first name Beatrix. Biologist with a higher education, trying to find a passtime for herself at the age of 68. Fluffies are a new hobby for her and brings her education to the farm simply because she is bored at home.

Awesome! I think she’d be great to work in the lab!