Old user returned, got a few questions.

Personally, I don’t care about the perspective so long as it is consistent.

Just write a good story no need to have fallow some safe place formula

Again you are just spouting pointless noise the question is not skill or merit but why would you need your style dictated to you

1 Like

Just admit that you should decide your writing style according to what you like, not anyone else, and this argument will be over

Again, all other things equal, use other people’s wants as a tiebreaker.

To be clear: I’m not looking for people to dictate to me how I should do things. I already had my options in mind when I came here. I’m just polling people to see which of the options I was already open to would be best received. I enjoy getting other peoples thoughts and input. It’s just how my creative process works.

Also, I’m really not sure why there’s an argument to begin with. I asked a question and matey here came in out of nowhere and started calling people snowflakes??? Regardless, yeah. I’m done with that. I’ll move on.

1 Like

I would like you to meet ripoffMcgee. It’s always like that with him

Why would you use other people to dictate how your story should be structured the story should dictate it’s structure

Every story can have more than one way of telling, and “ALL OTHER THINGS EQUAL” after all.

1 Like

Take a writing prompt and do it in all three point of views. See how it is different, it really helps when you are trying to figure out, will this POV be the best choice for my story? All same prompt but slight different things, third person is a great middle ground for folks who wanna have have some more info for the reader. First and second person is a bit more holding info till it’s later presented to the reader.

First person
Walking home from a hard day of work late at night, normally I take the bus but work gone on a bit longer then I would have liked, honestly. I was yanked from my thoughts when I heard a sob from the alleyway that sounded like a child, I decided to go see what it was about, what if it was an actual kid? I couldn’t leave them alone at this hour, should get my phone ready to call the police about the poor thing… When I have entered the dirty alley I had noticed a box, a dead fluffy with three foals. “Oh wow…” I mumbled taking in the messy sight of the recently deceased green thing, one foal noticed me and ran over, or waddled before ‘hugging’ my leg, asking for huggies and wub.

Second person.
You were walking home from a hard day of work, God, you would had taken the bus but work went on a bit longer then expected, when a sob broken you out of your thoughts, sounded like a child in an alleyway so you headed that way to see what’s going on, could be a child or one of those fluffy things, it’s hard to tell these days. When you stepped into the alley way, it was noticably dirty, you saw the box that housed a recently deceased green fluffy and three foals. “Oh wow…” All you could manage to say, what else could you say? One of the foals had noticed you before running over, or waddling and had attempted to hug your leg, asking for huggies and wub.

Third person.
A man was walking home from a hard day of work, he would had taken the bus but it was a bit late for such, his thoughts going on about what he was going to have for dinner till a cry could be heard, unknown to him, a fluffy family had been destroyed, a mother of three killed and the foals left as a reminder, their father no where to be found due to him being taken in by someone who thought he looked sweet enough to eat. The foals were hungry, cold and only had each other, the man entered the alleyway and saw the sight of the dead fluffy and the three foals. “Oh wow…” Was all he could say, one of the foals had noticed him before running- No, waddling more like it, before attempting to hug his leg, begging for huggies and wub.

2 Likes

no that is not how story telling works you can not have a fist person story being told by a third person observer and still have it be the same story in short all other things can never be eqaual

that was the point of my question why ask what point of view you want a story written in since each point of view changes how the story is interpreted and it’s dynamic , it is up to you the story teller to find the best point of view for your story

1 Like

Sometimes having an idea of what POV people like makes it easier on the writer to decide what story is good to post. It takes some time figuring out what you want, notes are helpful but they aren’t the best since writing it is different than having a main guide line on what you want to happen.

Just leave the folks who ask these kinda questions be, they may be trying to figure out things and have ideas in mind and wanna know what story -since POV does have a big part of it- they should go for, the votes show third person so that may be what we get.

3 Likes

That isn’t what “all other things equal” means.

Also, you can absolutely change perspectives multiple times in a work. Especially by playing with the narrator and concept of the meta.

1 Like

they can not be equal no mater how many times you say it, and each perspective change effects how the story is interpreted you can not have a first person story being told by a third person perspective , at no time have you address my question you just prattle on about unconnected concepts

nah it is a pointless question people don’t know what they want if they have no clue what you are writing about the question might as well have been do you want me to write in comic sans or serif

That is actually a very important decision, that should be decided by a bunch of random people on the internet

yup all aspects must go through a comity that is how the best stories are made

1 Like

“All other things equal” in this context means the writer does not particularly care which perspective they are going to write it in, so they see what other people want in order to make the decision.

2 Likes

then there is noting to be equal as he has no story to tell to begin whit just a thought of starting and idea