Old user returned, got a few questions.

Hey guys! I’m not sure if anyone remembers me, but I was a fairly long time regular of the old Booru. Sadly I found it dead when I tried to come back for the sake of nostalgia and only just found this place. I’m strongly considering writing some content for the site (Yes I know, I said that a lot before. But I really mean it this time!) and I wanted to get some thoughts.

First off, do we have a Discord or any other kind of instant messaging? I see the site has PM’s but I’m still exploring.

Second for the actual question relating to content here, I know a lot of people write in different perspectives. First, second, third person etc. Is there a consensus here on what people prefer? IE: “He walked down the street”, “I walked down the street”, or “you walked down the street”? Or are we all mostly cool to read in whatever perspective the author decides they want to write in? Also, if there’s an option to add an actual poll, do let me know. I’m still learning the sites functions.

I’m aware there’s already a thread about post perspectives, but that appears to have been more about whose perspective the story would follow. The human, the fluffy, etc. So I don’t feel it quite answers my question. If you feel it does, then feel free to close this.

Thanks!

What perspective do you prefer?
  • “I walked down the road…”
  • “He walked down the road…”
  • “You walked down the road…”

0 voters

5 Likes

Welcome back man
There actually is a discord server, do you want an invite?
And I think the best mode for PoV really depends. 1st person works for human MCs, while it doesn’t really work for Fluffy MCs. 2nd person is good for Fluffy MCs, varies on humans ones. 3rd person is a happy middle. This is all my personal opinion though.

2 Likes

first, Discord
Second, do it however you like

2 Likes

It looks like I got a link already, but thanks!

Honestly my default for writing is usually third person. I think I might just move around as the mood takes me.

Also about polls
Message window → a small cog to the upper right of the wessage window → build poll

Do you understand?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I can say if you want to write content, go for it.

The one thing I’ll also note though, about perspective. I really don’t like perspective jumping around in terms of how it’s phrased. Usually it’s best to stick with one. If you want to write in first person, choose that and switch characters. Just make sure you let people know who’s talking.

Sometimes people don’t do that and it gets confusing.

1 Like

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

Took me a few tries but I got it working. Thanks for the assistance!

1 Like

I’m aware that I haven’t made all the little secrets around here very well known, so you may want to take a look here, if you’re hoping to see more content.

2 Likes

I’m more partial to third person (limited and omnipotent: I think that’s it) but I’m not turned off by any other perspective. It what you are more comfortable with, imo.

2 Likes

I prefer third person. The other perspectives are limited to the main character’s senses. Third person allows you to see a little bit more around them.

1 Like

I’m thinking I might use mostly third person for stories that involve perspective shifts between characters. Maybe one of the others if I can be sure it’s going to be through the eyes of only one.

1 Like

Why do people ask what kind of perspective to write in

Because some people find certain perspectives really annoying, up to and including making it impossible to read for them. So if I’m going to write something, I want to make it enjoyable for the greatest number of people.

3 Likes

It makes the story entirely different in experience.

Its basically the medium through which writing is done in visual art terms.

Same subject, otherwise completely different.

The summarized story can be the same, but changing perspective can arguably make it a different story.

1 Like

Welcome back to the fandom and welcome to the community. Feel free to ask questions if you need help figuring something out.

To me it’s not really important what perspective is used, it should just stay consistent. Something I saw somewhere is using different perspectives for different kinds of characters, e.g. 3rd person for humans and 2nd for fluffies. You could try doing that if you want.

I forget everything is dictated by snowflakes needing to be pampered now

Still doesn’t answer why you would need to ask what perspective to write from I don’t ask what medium I should draw in I just do and if you like it you look at it if not than you move on

How is wanting to write enjoyable fiction ‘pandering to snowflakes’? Having a preference for how a story is written is nowhere near that level.

2 Likes

Each medium takes dedication to master. While the writer may favor a perspective, the same writer can usually do all of the above.

All other things equal, break the tie with audience preference.