On the "Cultural Sensitivity Training" proposed by Goomy...

You were probably pretty well worked up when you wrote this, and I get it. The internet can be a frustrating place and I hope writing this helped you blow off some steam. But it’s a little late; the mods already decided to allow controversial (in this case, racist) content as they aways have. And if it bothers people then it can be put into the “controversial” category where sensitive readers won’t see it. It’s a good compromise, because it gives control to the users (they can opt in/out of the contro group) and makes life easier for the mods.

So you are complaining about something that’s already been taken care of and is old news. But hey, welcome back, eh? Now go make the most racist fluffy comic you can possibly come up with. I’m looking forward to it! :derp:

2 Likes

For the record, this thread is the only place on the site that I have ever used slurs and only to emphasize my point.

I don’t need to use them, and I am not arguing for them because it is something I even do.

I am arguing that anyone who wants to use them should have the right to do so. Not because I like them, not because I want others to do so, but because I support the few places like this of free expression where assholes can gather to post the most niche and bizzare hobby of Fluff abuse. It seems odd given the content that there is such argument against unfettered speech.

Considering that I come here to post stories and pictures about cartoon animals written in baby-talk, like the others who actually post content, you are severely overestimating my ability to “feel embarrassed” partner.

Lol, not particularly worked up.

The best description would be “stupefied by the number of people in favor of censorship”

Thanks for reading, on the level, it is far from the dumbest thing published here.

I do find amusing that my sketch of a baby animal that is about to be stabbed in the stomach with a needle was well received whilst a rant about the idiocy of those who favor censorship was panned.

Strange crowd…

2 Likes

Actually, this might not be the case.

Let’s take the “lol mlp style” debate from recently - I believe it was Karn who expressed concern that a new member’s style was being hounded when a senior member, who had a very similar style, got away unscathed. Some styles were called out as bad and non-fluffy while other ones that were similar but belonged to more entrenched members were considered fine, something even I noticed.

Edgy racism humor can easily lead to actual racism disguised as edgy humor, which would pass under the radar, and then it’s a gradual change until somehow, some of the “edgy racism humor” guys are open about their racism and so deeply entrenched into the community that others jump to their defense or say they’re oldfag enough to get a pass - and then you can’t get rid of the racism without causing a giant war and losing a chunk of members.

Is it likely? I don’t know. But it is possible, and someone dug in too deep is gonna be attached to us forever even if we get rid of all traces of them (see: Marak being talked about like some kind of boogeyman and the chat joking about if [user] is The New Marak). I might be worrying too much, but it’d be good to keep an eye out lest we have to go through this “but muh racism” shitfest again later on.

As for the OP of this whole post, since I should probably address that …

Honestly my first thought was just “wow he saw the racism discussion thread was closed and really wanted to fling his shit so bad he made a whole new thread”. The thread was closed for a reason, yaknow?

Saying a slur here or there in a fluffy story was never the issue, and my reason for the stance of “I’m not hurt but others may be” is because I am not a part of the groups getting targeted, so even though that stuff makes me uncomfortable, I am not actively hurt by it. But the hurt has been called out loud and clear by several other users, and they deserve to be happy in this fandom too. If I can aid their arguments from a place that’s less actively wounded than theirs, then I don’t see why I shouldn’t. This isn’t a nothing issue where everyone worries about some hypothetical 12 year old being exposed to his first slur.

11 Likes

For now, here is the “most racist” content I ever posted (and it parodies the racism as much as anything):

Couple things:

1. i made the post because I missed the thread and disagreed with much of the replies, to say my view, not to create drama.

2. This entire genre is inextricably linked with 4chan and many of the “old guys” came to it from 4chan. If you worry about racism being “baked in” it already is in that regard but clearly that does not control the popular opinion, does it? The point is to make content here that people like, if you spend all your time being racist, you won’t be making any content, so…

3. If you are human, there is someone out there saying racist things about your race. There is no one outside of being the target of racism. The only difference is how thick your skin is and how much you base your feelings on what someone else says… sack up and suck it up.

4. I don’t even make racist content or comments. I still believe that people should be able to, and they should be talked shit to etc. however others see fit. Perhaps if there was some level of extensive, person on person harassment, it would be an issue - EXCEPT - that they can simply block the person and go about their business, this is not IRL, no one can come thru the screen and hurt you.

5. The 'booru had more better content because people were more likely to tell people when their work was shit. Harsh criticism improves skill or makes one quit, separates the wheat from the chaffe.

6. Cheers, thanks for the thoughtful reply have a great day!

1 Like

As what SqueakyFriend said, the overall issue is things like this. If there’s folks who want to say things like this and knows they’d get a reaction out of it, they’re going to do it. I’m of the mindset of, at least with the N word, being used tastefully. AKA, use it in contact and for a reason, rather then just throwing it out there ‘for the lolz’.

It would put the wrong idea in folks heads that tossing X, Y, Z into something, they’d get a lot of likes and attention. The only way to stop such, would be to remove folks trying to use such for some weird and clearly not useful way.

In all honesty, I guess the safest thing to do is to only allow hugbox on here and get rid of all the abuse, since I can’t recall any hugbox posts with any upsetting words. If we don’t want to upset people, let the sanitizing begin, so then we can become a more respectable community as some seem to be advocating.

Hm,
well now I absolutely have to make a hugbox story that includes slurs

5 Likes

Ok, let me rephrase:

Right now, in this thread, you are acting like an embarrassment to the community. Grow the fuck up.

8 Likes

i didnt know people would get that angry about not being able to use slurs

8 Likes

Kind of amazing, isn’t it?
Blew my mind too.
I really just never considered it.

4 Likes

Restricting peoples’ speech tends to upset them, who knew? :martini:

6 Likes

Well to me it’s like saying I can’t say streptopneumococcal.
Doesn’t affect me because I don’t use the word.

5 Likes

It also leads to people using slurs and other offensive or “offensive” words and phrases for shock value. I’m not big on censorship, but I also know how to mind my manners.

6 Likes

im not saying you cant say slurs, im just saying you cant say slurs in town!

No Virgil, we say you can’t say it because you literally don’t pronounce it right

Hell I’m going to have to do research for this slurry-hugbox story.
I don’t know a lot of them.

Yeah, I’m bad at being a redneck.

1 Like

If you need help, I’m descended from pure Ozark redneck stock. :+1: