"Out of Season" by ThatOneGuy

It was the beginning of another day at Fluffmart for the little pegasus foal. The lights of the store flickered to life, signaling the arrival of the store staff that took care of him and the other fluffies that were residing within the store. He awoke with a yawn, looking around and walking over to the nearby ball in his enclosure. He might as well play a little before one of the nice misters or ladies that work there come and feed him. He missed his brothers and sissies. He would play with them in the mornings before feeding time. But they’re all gone now, having been taken by their new mommas and daddies over time.

He vaguely recalled the store looking different when he was a smaller baby. The store had what he remembered the store daddy had called “decorations” put up around the place. Spider webs, ghosts, pumpkins… While he didn’t actually know the names for those things, he had become familiar with them. At least while they were there.

He was placed in his enclosure with his six siblings, and it was fun to see all the humans! Each day they would play, approach the edge of their enclosure to get a good look at their potential new momma or daddy! Sometimes the little humans would pet them! Sometimes the humans would point at them and say “seasonal fluffy” and “too expensive”. He wasn’t sure what that meant, but the ones who usually said the latter left and that gave him a lot of saddies. He was a good baby! He even did dancies for the humans! But still they would pass him up for his siblings. Four of his siblings had black fluff with a white pattern on it, while one of his sissies and brothers had fluff like him which was orange with green tail and mane and little black splotches on their sides. He remembered some humans would point them out and say things like “skeleton” and “jack-o-lantern”, but he didn’t know what those meant either. They weren’t names as far as he could tell.

But as time went by, his siblings were taken one by one, especially after the familiar decorations were removed and store daddy put a sign in front of the enclosure. Now he was all alone in his enclosure with the only company being the occasional store mister or lady or nice human that came by to give him attention.

The foal’s ear perked up when he heard the sound of footsteps coming close. He perked up a little, knowing it was time for milkies! He waddled from his ball and up to the wall of his enclosure standing on his hind legs as he saw store daddy and a store mister approach.

“…and make sure with the new stock coming in we’re going to have to make some space.” store daddy said. “The first shipment of Christmas seasonal foals should be arriving any day now, so we gotta clear out clearance items.”

“Hewwo stowe daddeh!” the little orange and green foal greeted. “Time fo’ nummies?”

“Where do you want me to move it?” the store mister asked, looking at the foal. “I think all the cages are full at the moment.”

“Yeah, that is part of the problem.” store daddy said. “We have no space for this little guy anymore. And we can’t keep it with the seasonal foals since it is last season and he is going to be an adult soon. I mean, I can see that it is already a weanling and fuck if I want to start feeding it solid food while giving the new foals milk.”

“Wha’? Nyu babbehs?” the foal looked around. “Nu see nyu bruddas and sissies.”

“If it were legal in this state, I’d say pillow the fucking thing and make it a Litter Pal, then selling it to some idiot who doesn’t realize it’ll be dead in a couple weeks from septic infection. So just take it out back and throw it in the dumpster,” store daddy said, beginning to walk away. “Then when you are done, clean up the enclosure and take away the clearance sign. I want this to be ready for when the new shipment is in.”

The store mister sighed an affirmative and looked at the foal. He reached into the enclosure and wrapped his hand around the fluffy pony.

“Yay! Upsies!” he cheered as the nice store mister lifted up.

As the store mister walked off with the foal, the little fluffy couldn’t help but giggle happily. Looking around and seeing all the fluffies, waving his stubby hoof at them as he passed. After a few minutes, the store mister and the foal exited the store going somewhere where the foal hadn’t been before: outside! He was really excited! Looking up at the store mister with a smile.

“Stowe mistah am nyu daddeh?” he asked, causing the store mister to snort.

“Nah,” the store mister said, as he approached a big metal box. “But you’ve got a new home.”

“Yay! Nyu housie fo’ babbeh!” the foal cheered. “Gon be bestest babbeh fo’ nyu mummah ow daddeh!”

“Sure you will, little guy.” the store mister laughed. He opened the lid of the dumpster and tossed the foal in.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!” the foal screamed as it sailed through the air into the garbage, crashing against it.

“Enjoy your new home, shitrat!” the store mister said with a cruel laugh, letting the lid slam shut.

“Huuhuu! Babbeh have owwies!” the foal cried, his sobbing echoing in the metal hull of the dumpster. “Nu wike dawk! Pwease wet babbeh ou’ sowwy bawks! Huuhuu! Nee huggies!”

But the store mister didn’t come back. The foal sat there in the dark of the dumpster, crying and begging to be let out. He wondered what he had done wrong? Wasn’t he a good baby? All he wanted was love and huggies! He wanted his brothers and sissies, not the sorry box. But no matter how hard he cried, no one came to help him. He was hurt, both from being thrown into the trash and from hunger.

“Huuhuu… Nee nummies… “ he said with a sniffle. “Babbeh haf tummy huwties…”

Time passed, and the foal cowered within the dumpster he was trapped within, the sound of his own sobs echoing being his only company. Hunger, physical pain, and psychological pain was taking its toll. As a fluffy he had no way to tell how much time was passing, but with the pain and hunger it felt like an eternity. Too scared of the dark, he had stayed where he had landed, laying in his own feces and urine that he had let out in his terror.

He didn’t know how it was since the store mister threw him in here, but his ears perked up as he heard the sound of movement outside the dumpster.

“Stowe mistah? Am dat ‘ou?” he asked cautiously. “Pwease wet babbeh ou’! Babbeh sowwy! Be gud fwuffy!”

The lid of the dumpster was flung open, light flooding into the once dark metal hull, the lid swinging back and slamming into the back of the dumpster and creating a loud BANG!

“Alright, let’s see-”

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!” the foal screamed, shutting his eyes tightly and putting his hooves over his ears. “Nu wike bwite wite an’ woud noisies!”

“Woah! What the- Is that a fluffy?!” a human voice said.

The little foal cracked open his eyes as they slowly adjusted to the light. He looked up towards the opening of the dumpster. There were two humans, both ladies, one with dark hair and the other with red hair.

“Why is there a foal in the Fluffmart dumpster?” the red-haired lady asked.

“Some jackass must have thrown it in here…” the dark-haired lady said with a sneer.

The foal sniffled as he looked up at the pair, sitting back on his haunches and raising his hooves towards them.

“Pwease hewp babbeh!” he cried, tears running down his face. “Meanie stowe mistah put babbeh in sowwy bawks! Babbeh haf huwties…”

“Wait, store mister?” the red-head asked. “Sarah, is it saying that an employee threw him in here?”

“Oh Christ… I’ve heard about shit like this, Molly…” the dark-haired lady, Sarah, said with a sigh. “Apparently some Fluffmarts get rid of excess fluffies or fluffies that aren’t selling by literally throwing them in the trash. Leaving them to basically die of starvation or get crushed under the trash.”

“Hey, look at its side!” Molly said, pointing to the black splotches on the foal’s right side. “That looks like a face… A jack-o-lantern?”

“Oh I see, it is a seasonal fluffy.” Sarah said. “This little guy probably didn’t sell in time for the new shipment and they decided to just toss it rather than try and sell it.”

“Christ, Halloween only happened three days ago!” Molly yells, outraged. The little foal shrunk in response to the yelling, clearly scared by the loud noise.

Seeing how scared the foal became at the yelling, Sarah put a finger to her lips and shushed her friend.

“Let’s try not to freak the little guy out anymore than he already is,” Sarah scolded. “Besides, we also don’t want to draw any attention. Dumpster diving isn’t exactly legal.”

Sarah looked at the foal, smiling gently at it.

“Hey, little guy,” she said sweetly. “I bet you’re really scared aren’t you?”

The foal nodded, sniffling and sucking on his hoof.

“Well, don’t worry, we’ll get you out of here.”

“We will?” Molly asked, looking to the foal and then to her friend.

“Yes, we will.” Sarah said firmly. “Unless you want to leave this cute little guy to die in the trash.”

Molly looked at the orange and green foal with uncertainty. “I mean… Couldn’t we call the police?”

“We could, but like I said, dumpster diving is illegal and this guy is still technically considered store property.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah…”

The foal looked at the humans and said, “Nice wadies gon take babbeh out of sowwy bawks?”

Sarah looked at him with a sad smile, and nodded. Molly bent down and picked up a small cardboard box that had once held cans of soft fluffy food and handed it to her companion. Sarah reached into the dumpster and picked up the foal and placed him in the cardboard box.

“Don’t worry little guy, you won’t be in this for long,” Sarah said, reassuringly. “We’ll take you to our place and get you cleaned up.”

“N-Nyu housie fo’ babbeh?” the foal asked, sounding hopeful.

“Y-Yeah!” Molly said, smiling at him as the two walked away from the dumpster with him in the box. “We got a nice little house that we rent together. We’ll set you up a safe room and get you some toys-”

“An’ nummies?” he asked, staring up at them wide eyed. The pair smiled at him.

“Yes,” Sarah said. “And nummies.”

“Yay!” the foal cried, tears of joys streaming down his face. “Babbeh haf so many heawt happies! Wub nyu mummahs!”

The pair giggled, looking at each other with smiles. They hadn’t expected to walk away with a new pet, but with how happy he was they didn’t mind.

“So what do we call him?” Molly asked.

“Well… he is a seasonal fluffy. Pumpkin is probably overused a lot for orange fluffies.” Sarah said. She hummed in thought, thinking of a suitable name for this little orange and green fluffy with the jack-o-lantern pattern.

“How about… Samhain?” Molly suggested.

Sarah snapped her fingers and pointed at Molly. “That works.” She looked at the foal in the box, smiling brightly. “Okay, little guy, your new name is Samhain!”

The foal gasped. “Babbeh hab nyu namesie?! Babbeh am Sawin?”

“That’s right, Samhain!”

For the first time in what felt like years to this small creature, his heart was completely filled with joy like he hadn’t felt since the time his siblings were still with him. He laughed, he cried, he did his dancies. The little foal was so happy that he finally had mommas that would love and play with him.

One month later…

Samhain sat in his safe room, stacking the blockies his mommas had gotten for him while FluffTV played on the TV mounted on the wall. Since he had been adopted by Molly and Sarah, he felt like he was the luckiest fluffy in the world! He loved them so much, and they loved him. They got him toys, a TV, lots of love and attention… What more could a fluffy want? Sure, there were times where he did a bad and they had to discipline him, but it was clear that they loved him even if he did a bad. Now he was a big fluffy and a very well behaved one! He never got too fussy about his food anymore, never acted bratty, always made good poopies. His mommas were so proud of him, and the way they praised him gave him so many heart happies.

He was eager for them to come back home. He felt lonely sometimes when they left him in his safe room. Sure the TV and the stuffie friends they got helped ease that loneliness somewhat, but he still loved his mommas and wanted to hug and play with them. But watching the fluffies play on the TV, what he would really like was a new fluffy friend to play with. His mommas never took him to daycare, and the only time he got to see any fluffies that weren’t TV fluffies was when they took him to the park. Even then, they wouldn’t let him play with certain fluffies.

But they told him they were getting him a surprise today, and he was excited for what that could be! It couldn’t be the Christmas surprise as that wasn’t until… Well, he wasn’t sure when it was supposed to happen, but his mommas told him that it wasn’t going to happen for a few more days. Whatever that meant.

His ears perked up when he heard the sound of the house door open.

“Samhain! We’re home!” Momma Molly called out.

“Yay! Mummahs am back!” Samhain quickly pushed aside his blockies, waddling over to the gate that cut off his safe room to the rest of the house. Rearing up on his hindlegs, he placed his front hooves on the gate, trying to look over the gate.

Momma Sarah rounded the corner, smiling as she saw Samhain. Samhain giggled and wagged his tail happily.

“C’mon, Samhain,” she said as she reached down to pick him up. “We got the surprise.”

“Sawin wub upsies! Mummah hewp Sawin fwy?” he asked with a big smile.

Sarah laughed and nodded. She held him up above her head as he giggled and extended his hooves, buzzing his wings as Sarah walked back towards the living room. In a few moments they entered and Sarah took him in for his “landing”. She placed the seasonal pegasus on the floor, who hopped and bucked happily.

“Sawin am bestest fwyer!”

“Yes you are, buddy.” Sarah said, she looked around the room spotting Molly. She looked back down toward Samhain and asked, “Ready for the surprise?”

“Am weady!” Samhain confirmed.

Molly smiled and reached behind a nearby couch, rearing back up with a fluffy in her hands. A red and green fluffy mare with golden eyes and snowflake patterns on her fluff.

Samhain gasped!

“Nyu fwuffy fwen?!”

Molly placed the fluffy down, which proceeded to waddle over to Samhain.

“Hi nyu fwen!” the mare said, smiling at Samhain. “Am Noewwe! Wat fwuffy name?”

“Am Sawin!” he replied, sitting on his haunches and extending his front hooves. “Can Sawin gif huggies to nyu fwen?”

“Yes! Noewwe wan huggies from Sawin!”

The two fluffies embraced, doing their best to wrap their hooves around the other. Sarah and Molly smiled as they watched their fluffies already starting to bond. Sarah moved close to Molly, wrapping an arm around her.

“Wets pway chasies!” Noelle said.

Noelle broke away from Samhain and started to waddle away quickly, Samhain giggled and gave chase after his new friend. The two fluffies laughed and ran after one another, each of them saying they were the fastest and that the other wouldn’t catch them. It was the most fun Samhain had in his whole life since he was with his brothers and sissies! The two chased each other for what seemed like a long time to either of them, but they were so focused on their game they didn’t even really notice that their mommas were still in the room and talking to each other.

“Samhain! Noelle!”

The two fluffies pause their game, turning to look at Molly with confusion as to why she would stop their playing.

“You guys can continue playing in the safe room. In the meantime, we’re going to make dinner!” Molly said.

“Noelle, since you are now part of our home,” Sarah began, looking at the red and green mare. “Tonight we’re having a special treat: skettis!”

The two fluffies gasped, looking at each other as wide smiles developed on their faces.

“Mummahs onwy make skettis fo’ speciaw days! Onwy fo’ gud fwuffies!” Samhain exclaimed.

“Yay! Bestest nummies for gud fwuffies!” Noelle cheered as she sat on her haunches and started moving her front legs side to side. “Mummahs wook! Am doin’ skettis dancies!”

Samhain quickly sat on his haunches and started doing the dance as well, singing about skettis.

Sarah smiled at the pair and stepped forward, motioning for the pair to move.

“C’mon, you two. Let’s get back to the safe room.” She said as she walked past. The two fluffies stopped their dances and quickly waddled after their momma.

Samhain giggled and laughed, his heart so filled with joy. This was perhaps the best day of his little life. And now he had a new fluffy mare to share it with.

A/N: Well, this is a reupload since the site went down and killed my account. As far as I can tell this story never got reuploaded by anyone else, so here it is if you care. Haha

Funny isn’t? I come back to fluffy ponies after all these years and the new site fucking died a few days later after I joined. Still, glad to see it come back. I was waiting for some new site to be made and everyone make an exodus there, but hey! Here we are. Hope to upload actual new content soon.

17 Likes

Amazing creating my account and seeing such a good story! Glad to read it pal

3 Likes

Adorable! And I could totally see Fluffmart places do stuff like this, and I love Samhain and his mommies, so cute!

3 Likes

Fun fact: I was inspired by a video I watch for this story. If I recall it was a couple ladies dumpster diving in either a PetSmart or Petco dumpster (forget which) and found a bird had been thrown away. And not a wild bird that accidentally got in there, I mean one of the birds they sell at the store. Apparently the company that store is a part of does that sort of thing pretty regularly.

Naturally, the translation from PetSmart/Petco to Fluffmart is a pretty seamless one given how common fluffy canon dictates treatment for fluffies tends to lean towards callous.

3 Likes

Welcome back again! Yeah, sorry that you had to experience that right after coming back to the fandom.

1 Like