Pickman’s unfortunate circumstances part 2 by (that1hugboxer)

You are Vicky. You get ready to face the day after a long night of mysterious events. Whatever you experienced the previous night had to wait. You and Pickman eat breakfast, then begin your morning walk.

The morning air helps clear your mind, as you walk by the fluffy enclosure the usual early morning silence is replaced by a choir of distressed cries and chirps. Upon investigation you find a gaggle of chirpies surrounding their sobbing mother. You attempt to calm her down, the distressed mare is repeating “mumma nu wan !”
Over and over between bouts of sobbing. You look down at her and notice she’s holding something.

It appears to be a slug like creature about the size of a foal. You carefully remove the creature from the mare’s grip. A series of low gurgles come from the creature. As it looks up at you with its eyeless face, you realize it’s vaguely foal shaped , its wobbly legs ended in “hooves” of hardened mucus. The creature was grayish blue in color.

“Where did this come from?”

The mare tells you that it simply appeared last night among her foals.

“Mumma twy hewp babbie Buh nu dwinkie miwkies . Onwy make scawy noisei . Pwease nice wady nu be mad at fwuffy!”

“It ok, I’m not mad . You did your best even though you were afraid.”

You call Zoey on the hand radio and tell her you are bringing something to her. Zoey is at a loss for words as she examines the creature. Finally after a long silence Zoey speaks. “My specialty is fluffies , I don’t know what that thing is , but I can tell you one thing it’s definitely not a fluffy!”

You thank Zoey for her time and begin the process of figuring out what exactly to do with the creature. Considering what happened last night you definitely don’t want to kill it but also you don’t want to keep it either, both scenarios could end in disaster. You decide that if something comes looking for it the safest bet is keeping it alive and healthy until then.

You look up how to care for a slug as that’s the safest bet for keeping it alive. The creature won’t touch the fresh fruit and vegetable purée you made for it . Instead attempting to latch onto feral micro fluffs sort of enveloping them like a blanket before releasing the prey several seconds later. It never killed or even injured the prey physically. But the micro fluffs it caught would just continually scream while staring at the ceiling after the creature let go ,It was awful . Nothing Zoey did could get the micro to do anything other than scream. Zoey put it under with thimble’s worth of anesthesia. Zoey began examining the micro from top to bottom. As Zoey examined the back of its skull just below the mane ,she found something. “Sis! You need to see this.”

At base of the skull was some kind of pattern . Upon closer inspection your blood runs cold. “Oh Fuck!”

You recognize the pattern to quote the book the King in Yellow “a curious symbol or letter in gold. It was neither Arabic or Chinese, nor as I found afterwards did it belong to any human script.” It was the yellow sign

8 Likes

The madness begins

1 Like

…go on…

An ominous statement.
I take it that the Mythos is fatally familiar in this setting?