Pieces of the puzzle by (that1hugboxer)

You are Lorna. Today you invited Duncan and his cousin Štěpán to the farm for some good old fashioned plinking. As the three of you set up your stations you noticed something odd about Štěpán’s gun. It has a very unusual finish on it and then you see it the orange tip, by the immaculate condition it’s in you can tell that pellet steyr aug is his pride and joy, he’s a great shot with it too, not many people can manage a hit from twice the effective range away with pellet rifle . Granted it wasn’t it center hit on the target but the fact he hit it at all is astonishing considering most pellet guns are smooth bore .

“Alright Mr White Death how about we make a little wager?”

You point to a lama shaped target at the furthest end of the range.

“If you can hit that target I’ll not only pay for your class III license , I’ll give you the money for a steyr aug and the transfer fee!”

Duncan buts in.

“Lorna you better be careful what you promise.”

You call over a couple of the farms security personnel to watch the attempt .

That target is a mile away ,that shot would be tough even for a real steyr aug. he would have to account for around 3/4 of a mile worth of drop off. Not to mention it’s co2 propelled . If he actually makes this shot it’s nothing short of divine intervention.

Štěpán gets on his back and fires his rifle at a 46 degree angle. And he misses….

“You know what Štěpán at least you had the guts to try. A lot of people wouldn’t have even done that.”

“Darn was off by 2 feet.”

You laugh for the first time in what seems like forever.

“That’s a good one Štěpán 2 feet!”

“Go check if you not believe me.”

“Alright Štěpán the joke isn’t as funny the second time.”

“Go check.”

“Fine I will since you are so sure of yourself.”

You go out to where the target is and exactly 2 feet to the right is a bright red airsoft pellet on the ground.

You return to the group .

Štěpán smirks.

“Well Lorna?”

You hold up the pellet.

“2 feet.”

The security personnel go crazy

They are chanting Štěpán’s name. While carrying him around on their shoulders.

You let them celebrate for a minute before you interrupt.

“Alright boys funs over. back to work.”

As the security personnel return to their posts you pull Duncan aside to speak in private.

“Ok Duncan what’s his story?”

Duncan chuckles.

“He’s just a normal man with a job that’s given him an unhealthy amount of hours behind that pellet gun.”

“So Your telling me that Štěpán, your cousin achieved sniping skills on par with those of Simo Häyhä , by hunting fluffies with a pellet gun! ?”

Duncan sighs.

“The man has more hours behind that pellet gun than I have behind the wheel . It took over a decade of practice,multiple hours a day every day for Štěpán to reach that level of precision.”

“Duncan for what you are saying to be even remotely possible ,Štěpán had to have sacrificed any and all hobbies , relationships and personal responsibilities for 10 + years . The only people who have that kind of free time are either extremely wealthy or……”

Duncan starts to tear up.

It finally clicks for you.

“Duncan…. Is Štěpán…”

Duncan is chocking back tears.

“It’s gotten far better than it used to be . But the hyper fixations are still an issue.”

You choose your words carefully.

“So… you are his caretaker?”

“In a way…… yes but also no.”

“during the day he holds himself together rather well , but after 4pm he’s basically in for maintenance. And from then until the moment he goes to bed is where I come in.”

Duncan recomposes himself.

“He’s extremely vigilant about taking care of his fluffy foal Mammoth. It’s the very last bit of mental energy he has left at the end of the day . My goal is to teach him coping and self soothing techniques so hopefully one day he can live by himself. “

“How long do you think that will take?”

Duncan shrugs.

“Months, years maybe .”

“And just how do you plan on teaching him this stuff?”

“It sucks trying to navigate this stuff by yourself so hopefully he can learn from my past mistakes.”

“Wait a minute… past mistakes?... Duncan does that mean you also?..…”

Duncan looks confused.

“I thought you knew about that?”

“Anyway, thanks Lorna for letting us use your range. If you don’t mind could you radio Zoey that we’re coming to pick up Odis, mammoth and Zofie Please ?”

“Sure thing Duncan.”

You debate with yourself on if you should ask him but you decide to go for it.

“Duncan before you go , I have to ask.”

Duncan smiles and answers the question before you even ask it

“Fluffies. My hyper fixation is fluffies.”

5 Likes

Awww. No wonder I like these guys. Spectrum recognises spectrum.

2 Likes

As a person also on the spectrum who used to be unable to go anywhere due getting heavy bouts of nausea from stress and anxiety, and is also in the process of getting a disability check, I feel for both of them. Damn you (wink), I came here to laugh at stupidity in the form of fur, not feel feelings.

In all seriousness, good job. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Good luck with your disability proceedings! I went through it around 15 years ago. Not easy, but so worth it.

1 Like

I started the process last year because there’s an 8 month waiting period in the state I live in.

1 Like

Sounds about right. It took me one appeal and 18 months to get approved. Hell of a time. Do you need anything?

1 Like

Naw. I’m just gonna have to wait and see if it gets approved. It is what it is.

1 Like

Hit me up if you need to vent or anything.

1 Like

Odd.

Right in the fucking feels.

2 Likes