Piggy (TheBigBrother)

So for another account I’m trying to learn how to draw for real. I’d like to try to learn how to shade much better than I can now. Any tips or tutorials would be awesome!

Love y’all

29 Likes

you got this my dude!
I’d recommend using a more red or blue tone to shade, it can give a piece a new feeling!

3 Likes

A good start! It’s really tricky to shade without outlines, that needs confidence. I’d suggest adding some jagginess or curling to the edge of the shades to bring out the fluffy texture and maybe some subtle sheen or rim lighting on the extreme outer parts.

4 Likes

Love the minimalism

3 Likes

Awesome advice! Thanks you now I am a supper novice so what are rim lights?

2 Likes

I was just watching a tutorial on that. I had no idea shadows weren’t just darker colors. Sounds crazy that I’d think that but yeah I’ve never learned beyond 6th grade

3 Likes

This image shows an example of how lighting can be broken down, but for the purpose of elaboration the rim lighting here is a good example:

4_2

It’s light that’s present around the extremes of the subject, usually provided by a bright light at the back. While this applies more to photography and scene lighting it’s a good way of bringing your subject out away from the background and providing a naturalistic outline. Obviously depending on the light sources in your image this might not be present, but you’ll find that giving the edges a bit of an extra sheen can give some extra definition to your picture.

The advice about shading with different colours is great too, it’s something I’ve noticed in a lot of really cool pictures and is well worth trying out

3 Likes

He looks like a parade balloon, and I love it.

ETA: Ima name him Macy.

1 Like

Here’s a real quick and dirty (very, very dirty) edit to show how I’d approach it personally, though feel free to ignore advice that doesn’t mesh with your own style - Simplicity is one of those things that never comes naturally to me and I’m not nearly as accomplished as some of the other artists here, so they’ll probably do better. I hope this can be of some use though!

I’d definitely keep the light source in mind when you approach shading though - I find it very useful to just sketch some lines or a “fake lamp” on a layer you can show and hide as required. I’ve never personally drawn anything without having big black outlines so I really want to commend you for a shading-only approach, it’s very striking and really makes your art stand out when you master it.

5 Likes

I don’t know anything technical about art, but this is great from an amateur perspective. My only complaint is that there’s not more. Well, and that it isn’t abusebox. :v

3 Likes