Pit of Despair (By MunstahMummah)

106 Likes

Lmao :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Fun fact, the guy who made this wanted to see how monkeys he put in it would be as mothers. But they wouldn’t mate, so he had to make a rape frame to tie them to to the males could get to them.

Also, the entire scientific community was telling him this had no scientific value and to stop torturing monkeys!

14 Likes

Not a very “fun” fact…

7 Likes

The overpreened/plucked wings are a really nice touch

9 Likes

Even less fun for the monkeys!

2 Likes

Hey I was planning to write a story about this! More about the fucked up things that doctor did but with fluffies instead.

4 Likes

yes please

1 Like

He also made a rape rack. He called it the rape rack.

5 Likes

3 years?!

1 Like

Yeah, with fluffy’s I’d expect 3 months as more realistic without social interactions

Harlow only did 1 year, max.

There wasn’t really any monkey left, after that.

Oh god this thing.
There are uh other fucked up things they did with monkies
I’m not gonna link anything, but look up Britches on the wiki
Unnecessary fuss,
Silver spring monkies,
and sleep deprivation in rats

Your blood wil either run cold, or blazing hot with indignation.

4 Likes

Harlow was a real nasty piece of work.
He drove this "experiment"well past the point of anything reasonable.

3 Likes

Reality surpasses fiction

2 Likes

Reality often is worse.

1 Like

I thought the weird monkey baby mother experiment was interesting in a fucked up way. “Gee I wonder if the baby will prefer the wire mother or the cloth mother? Let’s torture a baby monkey to find out!”
It’s like something out of a fluffy abuse story.

4 Likes

Yeah it is.
But with fluffies you can say, ah its just fiction .
With the pit of despair ( and the rest I mentioned ) you can only go. oh holy fuck they actually did that ?!

2 Likes

From what I’ve read, they were considered unreasonable by the entire scientific community pretty much from the get go. And he was very conscious of how horrible it was. Apparently he coined “Pit of Despair” himself. After being talked down from “Dungeon of Despair”. He also made a rape rack to forcibly breed psychologically destroyed monkeys. He named it the rape rack. Most of his colleagues seemed to insinuate that he did this because he went crazy after his wife died.

Ironically, he actually did a lot for furthering animal rights. What he did was so offensive to people, new laws got made to prevent people from doing stuff like that.

5 Likes

Oh, i know
And this was in the 70’s when things weren’t taken that seriously
That’s how bad it was

From Harlow’s wiki article
" William Mason, another one of Harlow’s students who continued conducting deprivation experiments after leaving Wisconsin,[ has said that Harlow “kept this going to the point where it was clear to many people that the work was really violating ordinary sensibilities, that anybody with respect for life or people would find this offensive. It’s as if he sat down and said, ‘I’m only going to be around another ten years. What I’d like to do, then, is leave a great big mess behind.’ If that was his aim, he did a perfect job.”

He did further animal rights but I doubt that was his intention. I think he just took his anger and grief out on some poor creatures that had the misfortune to be assigned to him.

If fluffies were real this would be something they’d be used for.
An artificial construct that could be tested probed and experimented on with the scientists being in complete control.

4 Likes