"Planet Fluffy" Follow-Up Idea: The Fall of the USS Cleveland

I recently made a post about my idea for a fluffy setting where, rather than being invented by a company on Earth, fluffies are invented in a space-faring future. However, when it’s deemed immoral to create life just as a toy, they’re all dumped on a backwater planet and left to fend for themselves.

But, I’ve taken to spending my nights in bed reading The Fall of Cleveland in its entirety as I drift off, and that led me to a variation on that original idea.

Rather than being dumped on the planet as an act of interstellar law, all of the fluffies are gathered in one place. Similarly to how they all migrate towards Spaghetti Land in the FoC, but this time, it’s very much an intentional decision, to cause a mass migration of fluffies into a single space. Instead of a theme park, it’s a spaceship; once they all gather, the ship is launched off to carry them to their new destination.

But that’s not exactly what happens. Instead, the fluffies on the ship, through an FoC-like series of insane circumstances, cause the ship to crash. It lands on some random planet, and the vast majority of fluffies on the ship die in the process. The few who survive go on to repopulate and expand across this new world

And of course, that ship was The Cleveland.

Ultimately, the idea isn’t all that different from my original one in terms of the final product, but the difference lies in the way we reach that final product.

I think I prefer this version over the idea I had in my previous post. Should I ever write any proper stories in this setting, maybe I’ll pay homage to the original story by naming the survivors after some of the main characters of the FoC; for instance, one surviving smarty could be named Archer, and so Archer’s Herd (or Awchew’s Hewd, I suppose?) is one of the herds born from the Fall of the Cleveland. That, or I’ll make the herds after artists, like "the Magow-Magow Herd"and “The Wufwum Herd” and so on.

But, those are just my thoughts. What do you all think?

3 Likes

That seems like a really good concept! Might use that setting in a story one day!

(post deleted by author)

I’d be honored! Not sure how it works on this site, but if you ever do, @ me, or DM me, or whatever. I’ll wanna read it.