Pregnancy Headcanons Discussion

I am currently working on a Halloween themed comic where you gift foals as trick or treat gifts and one aspect I need to think about is mare pregnancy length and how soon is a baby ready to be given away from its mom? My first thoughts was 2 weeks for pregnancy but that might be too short, maybe a month is a better time frame? For the babies should they wait to be weaned before being given as a gift or could you just wait until they open their eyes and add a formula bottle as an add on present? I am probably making this more complicated then it needs to be but I’d love to hear anyones own headcanons on the matter :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would suggest looking up animal pregnancies, it might help with finding the right range of time

2 Likes

I believe I saw a 28-30 day term from impregnation to birth, which is what I go with for my stories.

Personally, I’d say about 4 weeks or so is when I consider a fluffy weaned for my stories, but again it’s entirely up to you.

2 Likes

I go with the pregnancy and kittenhood length of cats personally :slight_smile: So a roughly three months pregnancy,and roughly 10 days before a chirpeh baby would open its eyes.
I would think it would be like any other animal. Sure,you CAN technically separate a puppy from its mother when it’s two weeks old and raise it on formula,but it’s not the greatest for puppy or Mom. So if you’re going for an abuse angle, separating them “early” could be part of it. If you’re doing Hugbox/Neutralbox,I’d wait until the babbehs were talkie/walkie babbehs.

1 Like

Personally, I go with a one month pregnancy, with the foals being 100% viable for c-section or forced birth after she hits the immobile stage, ie the last 3-4days. Foals can be separated as soon as birth, granted you have a way to feed them, as the only one that suffers stress from their removal is the mother. Their eyes open around seven days after birth with talking starting three days after that on average. Most start walking properly at two weeks.

2 Likes

It varies wildly based on who you ask.
I go with 3-4 weeks, but you could go with 2.
In the end, it’s your story. Use whatever helps you tell it.

2 Likes

Depends on the mood of the story and how much the givers care about whether the foals live, die or grow up into healthy pets.

Summary

One could argue giving out fluffy foals on Halloween means they don’t really care since they’re treating them like carnival goldfish

1 Like

I’ve seen fluffy pregnancies represented as short as a week, and as long as months. As for foals, weaning may happen within days, or more usually 1-4 weeks. Honestly as long as you’re consistent, that counts for more than sticking close to hivecannon.

2 Likes

I don’t go for consistency to be honest. It’s what the story needs that matters.

For July Babies I used @KerosineCannibal 's growth chart and literally plotted everything around that. For Neighborhood Fluffs? I didn’t keep track of elapsed time.

1 Like

I generally keep the pregnancy to 6 weeks .
And about a week or so before the foals open their eyes.

1 Like