Second Birthday (Lazarus) - By AtlanticHillfolk

Duncan stood before the tank looking at the vague shape floating in the murky contents of the jar. He tilted his head toward the screen of the lab console, upon which slowly ticked down the counter for the remaining seconds of the process.

“Procedure complete. Vitals stable. Subject Name: Lazarus. Beginning decontamination and reawakening protocols.”

The murky contents of the tanks slowly drained away, leaving the little white alicorn hanging limply suspended from the cables that kept alive and the small bar that kept it from simply collapsing to the bottom of the tank.

A number of jets on the inside sprayed the foal and the beaker itself down with pressurized water to was of the remainder of any remaining bio-gel as the bar holding the foal slowly began to lower toward the bottom of the tank.

“Decontamination complete. Ending sedative administration. Opening tank.”

With a light hiss, the tank depressurized and slid slowly open, and Duncan could get a clearer look at the creature.

He reached into the tank with his gloved hands, unhooking the cables and pulled him out, wrapping him in a towel to keep him warm and dry him off.

The foal had changed since going into the tank. The most immidiately obvious of which was that hehad grown in overall size, gaining about a fourth of his overall size and now would tower over a foal of the same age.

His wings, once vestigial and entirely white were much larger and tinted with the same cold blue that his mane was coming in as.

As Duncan pulled the flash drive containing House out of his brothers lab terminal, he quickly looked over the foals belly and head where some of the worst of its injuries once resided.

Outside of some near imperceptible scar tissue hidden under the fluff, it was almost impossible to tell he was ever injured at all. Perhaps more miraculously however, was the horn that had grown back on the alicorns head.

Unlike Spikes horn, which was a sharp and jagged mess that was mostly useful as a weapon more than anything else, the foals horn had regrown from three separate points and twisted together, forming an intricate spiral pattern.

Duncan pressed the tip of his thumb to the tip of the horn, poking a hole in his latex glove for the effort.

“…Sharp… I’ll keep that in mind for later…”

The foal wriggled weakly in the towel, it only now registering the sensation of being touched as the sedatives began wearing off.

“M…Mu…M…”

He pulled off his left glove and flicked it into the trash as he slowly made his way down to, reaching down with his finger to gently stroke the alicorn under its chin. As he did so, the alicorn slowly stopped wriggling.

“Shh, shh, shh… easy there boy… your safe… your okay… shh, shh…”

The alicorns eyes slowly twitched until the half opened and it started to groggily look around while Duncan marched his way toward the living room.

“Mu…Mummah?”

“Not quite kiddo.”

The little alicorn slowly blinks as he processed what Duncan had said to him, his eyes slowly widening until they were fully open.

Duncan was immediately struck by the vibrant coloration and near bioluminescent glow of its kind, cold, blue eyes.

“Am… am nyu… mummah an daddeh otay?”

Duncan smirks at the little foal, staring into the foals slightly glowing eyes. He seemed to have a kind personality, but he wondered at how much of that would manage to remain with him in the coming weeks when he discovered the other ‘features’ of his new form.

“They’re fine. They were worried about you, y’know. Mud asked me if you were okay every day since I put you in for treatment.”

“Otay…” The little alicorn replied, smiling as it snuggled into the towel a little bit.

Duncan reached the living room and sat down on the couch, casting a glance to the other end of the room where the sleeping form of Violet gently purred in her sleep, barely noticing him an the foal entering.

“Hey… I figured you would need a name, seeing as how you’re probably going to be spending a lot of time here at the house.” Duncan said, scratching at the little cannibal fluffies ear.

“Coo… coo…”

“Your name is Lazarus…”

“W-Waz-aw-us?” The tiny fluffy repeated, slowly trying the word in its mouth. The alicorn looked back up to Duncan with a tiny fanged smile on its face.

“Waz-aw-us wuv nyu namesi-URK-BLEEEGH!”

Lazarus got a distinctly uncomfortable look on his face before his cheeks puffed up, his eyes went wide and he vomited a thick stream of bio-gel, bile and other miscellaneous stomach contents all over the towel and over part of Duncan’s shirt.

“Huu, huu… tummy nu feww pwetty… huuuu…”

Duncan looked down at the little foal, detecting the distinctive smell of post stasis voiding that he hadn’t remembered was a thing until just now and feeing the towel grow damp, and sighed while standing up to walk to the bathroom.

“…happy second birthday, squirt…”

-=-

Mud and Chopper waited outside of the side door, the former patiently, although anxiously, by the door and the latter eagerly smiling and wagging her tail in anticipation, slowly dancing on her front hooves while she waits for her uncle to return.

Mud had been told that her little blue-white baby was going to be given back to her, but because of some things she didn’t quite understand, she couldn’t raise him alone.

Chopper, the smarty friend of the two other big weird eyed fluffies, had been told by the big human Duncan to help her with some of the harder parts of raising a baby like him.

Mud didn’t understand what that meant, she had helped the other mares in her old herd, what would be so different about raising a little blue wingy pointy?

Her eyes idly wandered back to her special friend River, who was tending to her chirpies using one of the wired milky place bottles that Chopper had given them, with the assistance of her two new nursie friends Misty and their new adopted filly who they had named Fern.

She smiled, whatever happed from here on she had her family, her own babies, her adopted babies and her new weird eyed friends. And even though she knew it was temporary at best, she felt at home out here in this weird human place.

The two fluffies snapped to attention when the door slid open, and the big human Duncan walked out into the yard, holding a towel in his one arm from which a gentle ‘huu-huu’ could be herd from.

Mud stood from where she was sitting and walked over to the big humans feet, careful not to stand in his way but close enough to be noticed.

“Am babbeh otay! Wai babbeh cwyin?!”

“He’s fine, he just had a little accident is all and we had to get him cleaned up.”

“Waz-aw-us sowwy… huu, nu mean make bad poopies…”

The big human reached down and stroked the little alicorns cheek as Mud felt a bit of the anxiety about letting the big, scary human who captured them take care of one of her adopted babies drain out of her.

“It was an ac-ci-dent, Lazarus, its okay. I’m not mad. Accidents happen, just don’t make a habit of it unless your not feeling well, okay?”

“Otay… daddeh… coo…”

Duncan balked at the word, but didn’t say anything as he slowly sat down on the step and waited for the two mares gathered in front of him to walk up and examine the baby. Duncan looked down to Mud before placing down the towel.

“His horn is very sharp, like Spikes, so be especially careful if he is playing or nursing because it can hurt you or the other babies if they land on it or get poked by it. Make sure every-fluffy knows that and BE CAREFUL.”

Mud nodded, carefully taking in the humans words as he placed the baby in the towel on the ground and she quickly walked over to see him. She was beaten to the punch by Chopper who darted past her to look at the little alicorn.

“Babbeh! Babbeh su cute! Choppew nebah see wingy-pointy be wike Choppew befow! Can babbeh fwy wike Choppew?! Choppew wub teech babbeh tu fwy! Babbeh namesie am Wazawus! Dat namesie am su-u-u coow! Du babbeh wa-”

“CHOPPER!”

Chopper looked up from her excitement as Duncan harshly raised his voice toward her and she snapped out of her excited rambling, looking down .

“Sowwy…”

Lazarus slowly wobbled to his feet, falling face first into the towel a few times before eventually getting his footing.

He looked around the yard briefly overwhelmed by the rush of detailed clarity his newly enhanced senses allowed him until his eyes fell on Mud.

“Mu…Mummah?”

“Babbeh!”

Mud replied, sitting back on her hind legs and opening her hooves in a pose that Duncan recognised as the ‘huggies’ pose directed at Lazarus, who began to take quick, uneven strides toward his new momma.

Lazarus leapt into his mothers front hooves, being taken in a massive tight hug as mud clutched her brave little blue baby to her chest.

Duncan winced as he saw the tip of his horn dig into her skin near the top of her chest and draw a small dip of red down the horn and her fluff, but Mud barely seemed to notice as tears began to stream down both her and her adopted babies faces.

“Mummah wub babbeh, mummah am su happies baby otay! Huu… Biggest heawt happies!”

“Huu… Waz-aw-us wub mummah!”

-=-

As the two fluffies snuggled together and the rest of both the adopted and hunting herds made their way over to greet the new addition to both of their families, Chopper looked at the little foal with a confused and unsettled look, talking to herself in a barely audible whisper.

“Wai babbeh wemember nyu mummah?”

She looked on as River approached her new brood-mate and the little foal fell into the stallions lap, the whole family quickly formin a makeshift fluffy pile of group huggies.

Folding her front hooves over themselves, she looked on at the display of love and huggies, and a sad old though flooded her mind.

“Choppew nu wemembew mummah nu mowe…”

16 Likes

A special thanks to everybody who voted on what the name of our little wingy pointy monster should be! For those of you who didn’t get to see yours pop up, I thank you for giving me the names in the first place! (Although… Some of them may get some use later…)

I’m always open to criticism, questions and suggestions for where to go and what to do with future stories. I hope everyone who is following along so far is enjoying the ride! More posts to come!

6 Likes

Seems Chopper is worried now she cant remember her mother :pensive:

Lazarus is ok yeahhh,i wish duncan can put a rubber cap on Lazarus horn just to protector it as he havent control it yet.

Nice story

Im just bracing on duncans brother bout this issue.

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but I just realized that the cannibal enhancement procedure was supposed to erase the memory of the fluffy. I was curious as to how nonchalant or laid back Spike and Chopper’s relationship is after she killed his family. Now it makes sense but I sort of feel bad that Spike is a blank slate after that.

1 Like

Not quite a blank slate. The process is designed to wipe memories and but it doesn’t wipe everything.

Spike still has his base personality, and he refuses to be with Chopper in the way she wants him to be because of reasons he doesn’t quite understand.

Chopper has a particular love for ‘mistreated’ and ‘poopie’ fluffies, hence the adopting of both Spike and Twitch into her brood.

Neither of them remember the finer details as to why they hold these views, they just do. And it can be very confusing for them at times.

3 Likes

Is Lazarus the first alicorn the process was performed on?

1 Like

Yes! Yes he is!

1 Like

How many fluffys were turned into a cannibal fluffy ?

1 Like

Using the Hunting Protocol?

Four in total, including Lazarus. The trio where a proof of concept for a new variant of fluffy that Arthur was working on.

Lazarus was a creation of circumstance.

Wait, Twitch is an earth fluffy right? With Spike being a unicorn and Chopper a pegasus, that means there’s one of every main type affected by Hunting Protocol now?

1 Like

Correct!

So it looks like you’re doing something with alicorns remembering more of before the process because they’re smarter, but that could easily be a red herring with Lazarus remembering more because Duncan skipped a certain safeguard instead, or a combination of the two.

3 Likes

I’d love to see this series continued. The characters are all amazingly well fleshed out.

Going to hazard a guess that Lazarus’s feature is that he’s exceptionally hard to kill? Maybe he can shut his body down on the brink of death and regenerate, or just regenerate in general… It would certainly make him an ideal guardian for a high-value target like the Alicorn foals where he would potentially be facing prolonged assaults by large groups.

1 Like