Shading Test [by: SkettiApostle]

I find it somewhat ironic that I tried to get better at drawing several times in my life, but only fluffies got me motivated enough to really attempt it, lol.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

27 Likes

Same here! Don’t know what it is about these little shits that gets the juices flowing, but ride the wave, I say.

Don’t have much advice, but I appreciate the attention to detail, such as the shading on the little tufts of fluff :+1:

5 Likes

So cute.
Good job :paintbrush: :art: :framed_picture: :+1:
Very wel that you have created darkker areas (on the left side). They give more volume to the drawning.
Try making ligter areas (right). They should further improves the volume.

3 Likes

As someones who’s experience with shading is litterally just doing edge highlights id say it looks amazing. The shading really gives a lot of volume to the fluffy especially the legs.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input, will try to to so in the future :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks, I guess I just have to do some experiment until I know when something “looks right”.

3 Likes

It would be a lot easier if we had real fluffies or figures of them we could just put in a dark room with a lamp.

Alternatively to see if it “looks right” you could use some 3d software to simulate shadows. Perhaps someone like Mexi would lend you their models or render a few frames for reference?

2 Likes

It’s pretty good imo

1 Like

Hm, good suggestion, didn’t even think of Mexi in this regard.
May inquire at some point.

1 Like

Oooohh. I like :heart_eyes:

Great job!

Not advice, as it may not look good with everyone’s style, but something I like to do is use the Spray Paint and Crayon tools on low opacity (alternate black and white) to give some “texture” if the picture feels flat.

Having a large chunk of space be monochrome doesn’t look right with my style. Just a few pixels here and there of different shades makes a difference.

Again, this doesn’t work for everyone. My style is messy with a lot of excess and unneeded strokes just to add different tints.

Experiment with all your tools, you’ll probably find a creative out-of-the-box way to use one or more of them.

2 Likes

Its good it add the depth :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for the input, really appreciate it. I indeed need to play around with the available brushes since I currently only use basically with opacity :see_no_evil:

1 Like