Star in the Style of X [Fluffus]

I drew my character Star in the style of some of my favorite FC artists. My own abominable sketch included for reference at the top.

I learned so much by emulating these styles. Holy crap there are some great artists on here. This is a love letter to you magnificent bastards

65 Likes

Love your art in any style.
Don’t forget your name after the title.

3 Likes

I like yours the best. If any crazed scientist finds this community and decides to make a chimera abomination child’s toy, I hope it looks like your style.

3 Likes

Noted! ^^

2 Likes

It’s the line between cute and offputting that makes it look good to me.

2 Likes

Yes exactly right. It’s like a child’s toy, which is supposed to be cute, but that would be unsettling in actual real flesh and blood vs. fabric and stuffing. It’s just “wrong” and takes me right through cute aggression onto fluffies delanda est.

2 Likes

Great! Your copy of Great White Nope is spot on as well,I would have thought that was an original by GWN himself.

1 Like

I’m honoured I got featured in this.
It’s actually a really good idea to draw a character in different art styles.
The Mcgonagall one is very cute as well.

2 Likes

THIS IS SO COOL!!!

1 Like

These look so good :3

1 Like

Heh, you flatter me. I love how expressive and poseable GWNs fluffies are. Like all good cartooning they’re surprisingly solid in their construction, with a strong internal logic. You could definitely make a 3D model or an animatronic puppy out of them.

I tried to figure out a pose an expression that could represent Star’s personality using GWNs visual grammar : )

1 Like

Your fluffies are amazing! They are so much like stuffed teddy bears.

It threw me for a loop how they have only one joint in their legs! I really had to redraw and repose several times to not “cheat” and add a knee or hoof joint. Also those huge eyes, and tiny snout and mouth, and finding a Star like expression for them, was fun.

Re: the Magow-magow one… sigh. Because his design is so well constructed and expressive I thought it would be easy to make a bitchin’ Star. I walked away unhappy because his design is optimized to make fluffies look pathetic, frantic, or contemptible. None of which feel very “Star” to me.

Thank you!!! I tried to find an expression that I imagined you could have drawn for Star’s eyes and mouth, but that you hadn’t.

Your most famous and charismatic expressions, like the licking of lips, or the horny/coy eyes, aren’t “Star” at all.

Also it was sad to not get to draw wings the way you do, on account of Star’s nubs. You may draw the best wings on here - they look great, they pose well, and they’re wonderfully stylized.

Furthermore I gave up trying to emulate your inking. It’s just too calligraphy-like and elegant… I cannot match it XD

2 Likes

I was inspired by the illustrations in the original Winnie the Pooh books. The Pooh characters move like stuffed toys would, but also like they’re alive.
To be honest, I have never really thought about how my Fluffies’ internal structure would look like .

It has to be difficult to portray the personality/energy of the character in so many unfamiliar styles. So this is a great exercise.

I really like your Fluffies, they look like something that could actually exist in the real world, without looking too much like actual horses. And you have a very distinct style.

1 Like

Well you did really good!! Your comment has made me really happy, thank you!

1 Like

Here’s an experiment: a low res gif of how i worked on this.

According to the log I spent 4h in total on this project.

And yes, I also considered Fwuffee, Dragonixia and ShadySmarty, but ran out of inspiration & energy.

4 Likes

Awesome!
Me personally, i’am quite fond of Foxhoarder and Carpdime.
But you do you, while i do me.
But it’s a good thing to vary, to keep ourselfs sharp.

1 Like

Oh, love both of those, too!

And jberg360 and QuantumFluffup and Marasakaya1 and SantAnon and RQ and FallenAngel007 and Spoosh and grim_1 and Juniper and PeppermintParchment and HerdKing and Wolfram_Sparks and the list goes on and on and on.

But I already bit off 3 artists more than I could chew so it was time to be realistic.

1 Like

I loved Grim_1 's take on a smarty, like it was a actual syndrome, somesorta megalomania. quite a long piece, i remember, but quality. The human in the story even just ate plate a sketties while the fluffy had to look, strapped down…that’s some good torture without blood or pain…
Sometimes i call fluffies skettie-junkies sometimes since reading that one.
Reminds me of that viral video in where the cat was addicted to catnip, and the owner couldn’t pull that cat away from the green goods…luckily i found myself quite resistant to the urge to smoke pot the last few weeks… but i’am ranting again, as usual.

That is a story by iasche, with art by gr1m_1.