Story of Maybelle (WavyWizard)

This is a rough draft for a comic idea I had. I might not finish it for a long time though. I have a lot of ideas about afro-fluff specific abuse (both intentional and unintentional). There are a LOT of possibilities since they have a unique hair type. From experience, leaving relaxer on for too long is a not-so-fun experience lol.

I wanted to add black and white coloring because it looks a little nicer than just my messy sketches, and because i wanted to practice contrast. Hopefully you all like it :smiley:

81 Likes

I like it, and while the art style seems rough it’s still very good.

7 Likes

If it’s hard to tell, Maybelle got chemical burns from the relaxer :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Classic dumb human shenanigans. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Ah, dumb owner. Maybe you should’ve done some research before messing with the hair if you were so concerned about the value.

12 Likes

pathetic hoof taps

6 Likes

ohhhh i love her poor poor baby.
I’ve been relying to draw afro fluffs for a while, but all i have as reference is the internet as im sadly whiter then the inside of a potato
May i ask what happens if hair relaxer is left on for too long?

9 Likes

Poor Maybelle. Sadly, this shit happens to humans, too (with significant differences).

7 Likes

Hit YouTube. There are a lot of great styling videos about natural hair. You can see all kinds of textures, as well as proper and improper care.

5 Likes

Should have looked up wigs.
A bit too close to home. What some women do to themselves!

4 Likes

Without getting too deep into the weeds on this topic, curly and frizzy hair is just harder to deal with than straight hair, so it’s not abnormal for overworked parents to cut it short or straighten it.

This is actually scene by scene the story where people claim their parents told them afro hair isn’t beautiful and put chemicals in their hair to straighten it—except wavywizard is clearly more interested in providing excellent original content of fluffies suffering than they are in using these claims to justify broad, sweeping generalizations about toxic beauty standards, hair racism, cultural appropriation, and the other weird things that tend to get associated with the “let’s make your beautiful queen afro limp and boring and white people-y and gross because idk reasons” trope.

Thanks for not using fluffies as a platform to preach at people even when using a topic like this as a base for a comic @WavyWizard I can’t stand it when people do that.

10 Likes

I was wondering so the person only has themself to blame really

4 Likes

This is great. One of the things I love about Fluffies is when they’re used to highlight terrible things that happen/are normalized in our real world… things made extra sad and horrific when they happen to little begging ponies. Nice art, nice work!

11 Likes

Chemical burns AND she’s going to freeze to death

better luck in the next life, shitrat

5 Likes

I found the alicorn hair unique and this dumb owner just ruined it :grimacing::triumph: and without actual knowing the effect of relaxer…and then blame the flufffy sheezz.

Hope Maybelle life will turn around and have a better and smart owner if she ever survive the alley. :fearful:

7 Likes

As someone with afro hair, does relaxer actually work? I’ve always wanted to have straight hair just to see how it looks.

5 Likes

If you leave relaxer on for too long it can give you chemical burns.

3 Likes

It should work but for me personally it does not really do anything significant.

I’ve seen lots of people use relaxers and get good results though so it probably depends on the brand, and if it’s being used for too long, or not long enough.
I think there’s a good amount of hair videos and whatnot where you can learn more about what products to buy, and what to avoid, etc.

4 Likes

This is a case where I want the OWNER punted cross the state

7 Likes

death :v

no, just hair damaged (or scalp can even get too burn and begin to fall off → extreme cases)

3 Likes