Subverted Expectations, Part 14 (by jimmyhopkins)

Two days had passed since you had taken in Lucas. You’re taking him to the vet today, then you’re going to the park with your fluffies. Everything was good with him, got his shots, then took him to Old City Pizza as a reward. The other fluffies were being watched by your neighbor, Max. Curly hair, relaxed eyes, kind of guy who’s nearly constantly high but still manages to have a steady job. Cool guy, real chill, loves fluffies but doesn’t have any of his own.

“Hey, Jack! Whoa! What are you wearing?” Sal is looking you over, obviously surprised by your outfit. You had decided to make the boy shorts and thighhighs apart of one of your outfits. Look, it’s comfy, and Philly has become one of the more progressive cities and you can finally express yourself now. Not like growing up in a tiny town where saying you were gay was like saying you were the devil incarnate.

“It’s comfy, alright?” Sal laughs. “Hey, don’t worry man, I heard that ‘femboys’ are popular with the internet today. Besides, it suits you. Certainly got the figure for it at least amirite?” You just sort of stare at him, one eyebrow raised. “I’ll, uh, I’ll be with you in a sec to take your order.”

“Daddeh, Wucas smeww pwetty nummies!” You laugh, putting him in one of the fluffy seats. “Yeah, this place always smells good.” Sal runs up to the table. “Alright, what can I get ya?” You look over the menu, thinking about what Lucas would like the most. “The regular for me, a small plate of spaghetti, and a plate of chicken tenders.”

“Comin’ right up! Also, I was distracted earlier by, uh, things, but I noticed that you have a new fluffy. What happened to the other three?” You scratch Lucas behind the ears. “The other three are at home with Max, Lucas here just had his check up.” Sal knew Max, and immediately started laughing.

“You sure you want your fluffies hanging out with a stoner? They might be listening to Pink Floyd when you get back!” He wipes a tear from his eye, clearly imagining the scenario in his head. “Oh, they already listen to Pink Floyd. But I made sure to let Max know that ‘toking’ is not allowed in the apartment. As much as I know he would love to smoke weed with a fluffy.” Sal lets out another hearty chuckle. “I’ll be back with your order.”

Sal arrived with the food, and you and Lucas proceeded to eat. “Before you try the spaghetti, want to try some chicken tenders with barbecue sauce?” Lucas looks up at you, confused by the statement. “Tendew? Wha’ dat?”

You grab a chicken tender, and tear it into a few strips. “That, my little friend, is the sign of a good chicken tender.” You dip one of the strips into some barbecue sauce. You hold it in front of him, and he sniffs at it. He gives it a little lick, and his eyes light up.

“Yummy!” He says, taking the strip from you and chowing down. “Dis bettah den sketties!” Hearing that actually makes you really happy, considering how much you like chicken tenders.

“Can Wucas hab mowe tendews?” You laugh, and dip some more into the barbecue sauce. “Sure thing little buddy!” He happily eats, until the entire tender you broke up is gone. “Wucas fuww, daddeh.”

“Yeah, me too. Lets bring these back home, I’m sure your siblings will be grateful for the spaghetti.” You pay the bill, get some boxes, and walk home with Lucas in tow. “Come back anytime, Jack!” Sal calls out the door.

On your way home, you and Lucas see one of the fluffies of the city, carrying a letter tied to its side. Not really even a feral, since you think that someone trains them to do this. You just know that none of them have asked for a home, and in your experience, have never had kids with them. “Hewwo fwuffy fwiend! Am Wucas!” The fluffy looks up at Lucas and smiles. Thank goodness his wings were obscured, it would have been a disaster if this little courier had gotten frightened and lost his letter. “Hewwo babbeh! Am maiwfwuffy!” The little courier continues on his way. Hope he wasn’t carrying any poker chips.

“Daddeh, wha maiwfwuffy?”

“Well, you know what a mailman is, right?” Dum dum, why would he know what a mailman is, you have a PO box. “Maiwman, wike Nooman?” Damn, he paid attention to Seinfeld last night. “Yeah, like Newman. Only a fluffy, and not Wayne Knight.” He smiles. “Wub Seinfewd.”

You arrive back at the apartment, and see Max sitting in the safe room, playing with the toys while the fluffies watch TV. “Dude, what are you doing?” He looks up from building a Duplo castle, trips over a wooden train, manages to not fall on his ass, and chuckles.

“Look, I tried playing with them, but they wanted to watch King of the Hill. Then I kinda got into building this sick ass castle, and then the railway, and long story short, you need more track cause I wanted to expand into the rest of the apartment.” You put your hand to your face and rub your eyes. “Nice outfit by the way.”

“Alright Lucas, go say hi to uncle Max, I’m gonna pack a basket to take with us, then we can all go to the park.” Lucas walks over to Max and goes into that pose they do when they want you to pick them up. Max picks him up and starts scratching behind his ears, and then he looks at you. “Can I come?”

You all headed to the park, Max coming along as well. Max is carrying Magnum and Nebula, and you’re carrying Lucas and Johnny, along with a picnic basket with the leftovers you just got, some juice, and a blanket. “I still don’t get why you don’t let me smoke with them.” He says, jokingly. “Magnum would love it.” Magnum looks up at him. “Wha?”

“D-don’t worry about it, Max is just being weird. This looks like a good spot to sit, big tree nearby, stream over there, not too far from the sidewalk, seems good to me.” You place Lucas and Johnny down on the grass, set the basket down, and lay out the big picnic blanket.

You all spend some time playing, doing a little bit of exploring, and eating the food you brought. Magnum and Johnny are playing with a ball you took along with you, Lucas is sitting by Max in the sun, and Nebula was playing near some flowers nearby the trees. You and Lucas didn’t eat as much, but the other fluffies (and Max) made up for it. You certainly had enough juice to drink though.

“Hey, Max, I’m gonna go find the bathroom in this park, probably gonna call the vet and schedule an appointment for their fixing, can you watch the fluffies while I’m gone?”

Max gives you a thumbs up. “Sure thing, dude.” With that, you embark on your crusade to find the bathroom. Hope It won’t take too long.

SUPER COOL PERSPECTIVE SHIFT: (Nebula Perspective.)

You are Nebula, and you have the bestest family ever. You and your brothers were rescued by your daddy when you were all babies, and even though Johnny and Magnum had been hurt, they were still happy, and so were you. Your daddy gave Magnum a cool set of wheelies that let him play again, and he gave Johnny a pair of wheelies that let him walk again. Daddy is the best, even if Magnum and Johnny think his not fluff leggies are silly.

You also have a new brother, a pointy wingy babbeh named Lucas. Despite what other fluffies had told you about fluffies with wings and a horn (Munstah fluffies, they called them), Lucas is really nice! He’s littler than you and your brothers, but daddy said that was because he’s younger.

You like to play with your brothers and daddy and uncle Max, but sometimes you just want to explore on your own. Daddy told you not to go past the sidewalk, but that still gave you plenty of room to explore. “I’ll take you on a little walk later, Nebula. Then we can explore to our hearts content!” Plus, uncle Max was watching you while you explored, and uncle Max was a nice man. Even if he was a little silly.

You had just found a pretty looking rock, and had picked it up with your mouth, when you heard two fluffies talking.

“Gu say hewwo, dummeh! Kebin wan pwetty speciaw fwien, wight?”

You knew what special friends are, and special huggies, and babies, and stuff like that, but daddy had said no babies or special huggies, and that was okay with you. While you liked the idea of having babies, you also knew they were a lot of work, and you had to take care of your brothers. They depend on you, since you’re their big sister!

“O-otay, Cwaig is su smawty, su Kebin wiww twy.”

From behind the tree, a fluffy steps out, about the same size as you. He’s an earthie, with pretty white fluff and a teal mane. “H-hewwo, am Kebin. Do p-pwetty fwuffy hab namsie?”

You giggle a little. He sounds like daddy whenever someone says his outfit is pretty! “Fwuffy name am Nebuwa! Wan be nyu fwien?”

Kevin digs at the ground with his hoof. “W-weww, Kebin was w-wondewing if pwetty Nebuwa wan be s-speciaw fwien.”

You smile at him. “Nu tank yu, daddeh say nu speciaw fwiens, bu’ Nebuwa can be nowmaw fwien!” Kevin looks a little sad, but when you mention being normal friends he smiles. “Kebin wike dat. Daddeh say Kebin nu can hab speciaw fwien anyway.”

“Nu! Dummeh! Dat nu how yu get speciaw fwien! Cwaig wiww show how it dun!”

A dark blue fluffed, light green mane, unicorn fluffy steps out from behind the tree. He looks at you and grins. Not a nice grin like Kevins, but a meanie grin that almost seems to say ‘Fwuffy bettah den yu.’ Kevin runs to hide behind the tree. “S-sowwy Cwaig, pwease nu yeww at Kebin!”

“Pwetty mawe gib Cwaig speciaw huggies an’ good feews.” He grins, and runs up behind you. Suddenly, you feel something touch your no-no spot, and you let out a little scree! “Uncwe Max! Hewp!” You look over, and Uncle Max is helping Magnum out after Magnum accidentally got stuck in a hole.

“Nu make dummeh scree noise, dummeh mawe! Cwaig nee’ concentwate to do speciaw huggies. (nu can fine speciaw spot…)” Your little mind is working as fast as it can to think of a way out of this horrible situation. You think back to this morning when you were watching TV with your brothers. You think about the funny little human on TV who learned how to protect himself by kicking meanies in the special lumps. You grin a little, and summon all your strength and courage.

“DAT NEBUWA PUWSE, NEBUWA NU KNO YU!”

You kick out your back leg, and feel it collide with something squishy. “SCREEEEEEE! WOWSTEST SPECIAW WUMP HUWTIES!!” The meanie smarty relinquishes his hold on you, and you run away as fast as you can to Uncle Max!

COOL PERSPECTIVE SHIFT AGAIN (Jack)

After what felt like 30 minutes, and a few close calls of pissing yourself, you finally found the bathroom. Turns out it was actually really close by. You do your business, and then proceed to call the vet and schedule the appointments.

Right as the call ends, you hear what sounds like a fluffy screaming its head off. “Oh goddammit, Max.”

You sprint over to a tree, where you find a fluffy rolling on the ground clutching its groin, and another fluffy standing nearby looking slightly concerned, but also giggling a little.

“Huu, no-noes su huwties… Why dummeh mawe huwt wumps?” The fluffy that isn’t writhing around in the dirt just stares. “Kebin nu gib huggies now, Cwaig was meanie. Nu mean nu!” You walk over to Max, just as an old man comes over. “Dammit, Kevin, I told you not to play with Craig! He’s a bad influence!”

“B-buh daddeh, Kebin make nyu fwiend! Nu eben nee’ speciaw huggies!” The old man sighs and looks at you. He’s bald, but he has a kickass mustache. “I’m terribly sorry, Kevin is a little too explorative for his own good, and a little too trusting.” He looks over to the fluffy on the ground. “Craig, I’m gonna have a serious talk with your owner after this.”

“N-nu! Nu teww mummah! Huu, wumps su huwties…”

“Daddeh, can Kebin pway wif Nebuwa? Nebuwa nyu fwien an’ nice fwuffy.” The old man sighs again. “Maybe some other time Kevin, I’m exhausted.” He looks over to you. “Young lady, what’s your name?” You chuckle a little. “Jack, sir.”

“Jack… Odd name for a girl, but I just realized I was mistaken. Well, Jack, my name is Rex, and if you ever want to bring your Nebula over to play, or want to have a play date with Kevin, here’s my number. Kevin doesn’t have a lot of friends, so the fact that he was able to make one today is a big accomplishment.”

You write down the number in your phone, shake hands with the old man, and he leaves, taking the fluffy on the ground with him.

“Hey, uh, Max? What the hell happened while I was gone?” Max looks at you.

“Well, uh, Magnum got stuck in a tiny pothole, so I had to help him out, and while I was doing that Nebula got into a fight with another fluffy, I think. Maybe she could tell you better.” He hands Nebula to you.

“Meanie smawty fwuffy twy gib Nebuwa bad huggies, bu’ Nebuwa say ‘Dat Nebuwa puwse! Nebuwa nu kno yu!’ an’ gib him wowstest speciaw wump owwies. Wish Nebuwa could hab pwayed wif Kebin…”

“Well, I’ll take you to play with him some other time. For now, I think we’ve had enough of the park. I’m proud of you Nebula, but please promise me one thing.”

“Yus, daddeh?”

“Please don’t do everything you see on TV.”

34 Likes

If i were to get fan art of these character i would probably cry tears of joy or soy

9 Likes

note, the ball thing was a reference to an episode of king of the hill

5 Likes

I understood that reference right away. Nice one. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

A nice chapter all in all. I especially liked how the pothead ended up playing with blockies while the fluffies watched cartoons - that’s such an easily believable switch of roles! :laughing:

6 Likes

the craig fluffy is not a rapist, he is just a little sheltered and doesnt know how things work. and a bit of a horndog

2 Likes

Yeah I get that he’s sheltered but Nu means Nu!

3 Likes

he has learned now, but he’s still probably gonna get fixed. maybe he’ll get neuticles though

4 Likes

It would be too much to have KotH be alluded to without it being foreshadowing for the self-defense bit.

1 Like

dale gribble funny haha

I woulda went with the pocket sand bit and have her shit on him to subvert expectations

1 Like

fuck, missed opportunity. add it to the list of life regrets i have

1 Like