The Changing of the Un-Changed (Underbear)

Dear Patrick Stewart,

On the off chance that you are a member of the community and have the time please consider making an audio recording of this story as it has been written with your voice in mind. To all other readers please read with Patrick’s voice in mind or alternatively Ron Perlman’s.

Unity. Once a symbol to rally behind, one that connected the disparate groups to common cause under the banner of a single mascot. Now the very definition of ruin. The many Boxes had peacefully coexisted weaving together to form the very fabric of The Community and for a time it had been done under the watchful gaze of a single violet Unicorn. But all times must end and here the sun had set. I remember the day when the Admins on high had, from their celestial throne, presented the Edict of Elimination. This was the day that the doors to the citadel, that had for so long protected the solitary fluffy pony, were thrown open and its guardians had turned from their posts to allow what must be done.

The edict was simple, permanently end the mascot named Unity. The Call rippled out through the peoples and all would try to answer, how could we have known that success would demand such a high price for such a vulnerable creature?

It was no particular surprise when the abusers began to crawl from the sewers, and caves, and basement hovels armed with untold variations of horror inducing implements. Nor when the jellenhiemers congregated in the shadows to view the outcomes of the grizzly machinations of the horrorboxers. But soon the neutral-boxers began to pick up baseball bats prepared to smash the defenseless beast. The moron and weird boxers focused their eyes and called upon a meteor to set off a domino effect that would end its life. Sadboxers gathered in circles chanting their most depressing of stories to force Unity to end itself.

The real shock and sign of the universal upheaval came when the hugboxers on the fourth day ritually sacrificed their own fluffies and bathed in the blood. In not but blood and tatters they threw themselves against the walls of the citadel and in a blind rage tore limb from limb of anyone they encountered intending to bring an end to not just the unsuspecting biotoy turned idol, but all the boxes.

By the end of the sixth day the community was quiet. I was alone. Fires burned and streams of blood and viscera flowed on the edges of the streets. Corpses, once human and fluffy, had been left indistinguishable from one another. I stepped around them. I wielded no bats nor machetes. I had no supernatural powers, no angst, no uncanny luck, I was simply me. The burning rage had fizzled out and there were no tears left to shed. I had clarity of mind and a numb heart. The sun had risen but the day was hollow and grey. The silent rush of the ash falling like so much snow in a blizzard blocked out much of the carnage from my sight. I passed the doors of the great stone building that despite being opened had still stopped many of those trying to enter.

Gingerly I traversed the winding halls riddled with the bodies of those few who had made it this far. Ten lay grasping a door that had been opened by a crack revealing the golden light of the inner sanctum. From within a faint voice echoed out, that of Unity. I braced myself for what must be done then pushed the oaken doors. They creaked and opened without resistance.

On the raised dais warmed by a sunbeam that came seemingly impossible from the sky I had witnessed outside lay the violet fluffy in its nest. It roused.

“Hewow nice mista. Be nyu Daddeh?” it looked at me expectantly “Pway wif Unity?”

I had no words for the creature that had been at the center of so much gore and endless suffering. I walked up to it and crouched. It raised its leggies in the upsy pose but I did not hug it. I set a cup upon the ground in front of it and, from a flask, filled it with water.

“Wawa ba fow fwuffy” it stated, but I was done. I turned no longer able to look at it. In silence I walked away. As I reached the door, I heard a clink and panicked gurgles then silence once more. I did not look back, the deed was done, Unity was dead. With the Edict of Elimination fulfilled I stepped out into the midday sun now blindingly bright.

From the golden light a new figure approached. It came not through doors or by stairs, rather it came into being and when it did it became what had always been. The yellow unicorn sat upon the dais, that which only it had sat upon in all the fow ebas, and all that had been wrote to end that which Unity was no longer was undone. For now, there was only Unity, for always there is one and only one.

You are a fluffy community member. Your day has been pretty normal. In a spat of boredom, you pull out your phone and log in. There in the corner Is Unity the familiar yellow unicorn mascot of the site. For the briefest of moments, you remember it being purple. You dismiss this thought, Unity had always been yellow, and ALWAYS would be. @Mr_Owl

5 Likes

Theres a strange eldritch folk horror vibe to this that I love

2 Likes