The Collectors Colors - Lothmar

The collector scrolls through his phone discarding lead after lead from his emails and private messages. Out of one hundred there were four potential foals he desired for his project. While the first one he had suspected to be Dark Salmon was a bust it had turned out to be a lighting issue and it was only Salmon after he confirmed it with his phones color analysis software. He bought it regardless as it was reasonably priced, and he was willing to potentially gamble on the mane. The second though was indeed Dark salmon which he purchased on the spot.

Finally, the last of the elusive F class. You wouldn’t think it’d be so hard to find something so common but fate had a way of mocking the collector from time to time.

He had given the foals some laced formula to keep them asleep for the ride as he crossed out the third potential for the Dark salmon he had been seeking. The last but certainly not least had arrived. After verifying the color was indeed Peach puff he was no longer reluctant to pay the 20% higher then market price because this foal had high tier lineage and credentials. After placing the unconscious foal with the others in the carrier you drove back to your house and proceeded inside to drop off Salmon in the safe room with a few other prospective hopefuls.

They greeted you in standard fashion. A joyful chorus of ‘Daddy’ and ‘Fwuffy miss ou’ and the the like. You tell them that you have work to do but you brought them a new friend and to make sure to make them feel welcome once they wake up. They’re disappointed that you’re leaving but quickly become optimistic at the idea of a ‘nyu fwiend’. You pause though as you notice the first of Lavenders coat coming in and sure enough luck was on your side this day, it was also lavender as far as you could tell. You were on track 98.5%.

He smiles as he heads out and closes the door to the saferoom, out to the back porch and to a shed along the back fence with a large metallic Cylinder big enough to fit a decently sized truck inside. The kind of tank you’d need a semi to haul.

He had started collecting fluffy colors with his father. Back then though the two had stuck entirely to seeking the colors they were after in ferals on hunting trips. However, as the collectors father became sick with cancer and became too weak to join you on the outings as often you started to supplement your acquisitions with purchases from breeders with some money you set aside for hobbies and entertainment. You had gone from a decade of work that had reached 85% completion to 98% in a year with hard work and dedication and a few generous bounties put out with his hunter friends as he still preferred to have his collection filled with actual capture and killed fluffies compared to domestics. But you were running out of time to give your father this gift before he passed. With two of these fluffies it would be 99.5% and if Salmons mane and other potentials turned out to be the correct color when it came in you would finally have the last piece for 100% of the colors you and your father had set out for when devising this project.
You pulled out some disposable paper and made some outlines and measurements for later while the foals slept. You then cut the paper off the roll dispenser and hung it on the wall with a smile. You wouldn’t be making an Armature for this job but it had become a habit over the last few years to document the date, time and general details of the subject for your records.

armature

You proceed to suffocate the first foal while they sleep and make sure to check that they are dead via heart beat and breathing before proceeding to process them. You hang them from the ceiling above a drain and proceed to process them, removing the organs and depositing them in a bucket but leaving the remaining tissue intact. You then sew them up and proceed to place peach puff standing upright on a stand that locks their feet in position and provides support for the stomach and chest and keeps the muzzle level from the front while keeping the neck upright. While you’re working on the ears and eyes you pause.

“Daddeh. We home yet? Wuh smell wike boo-boo juice?” Of course Dark Salmon would be unlucky. After all the trouble you had finding it.

“Yes little one we’re home.” You add washing your hands in the sink while keeping your back to them. “Oh that’s just the fishing bait im getting ready for the weekend. Sorry if I scared you.” You say turning around and approaching the counter.

Something about your desperation or the look on your face could be felt by this empathic creature. “Dats no twue, is it…” It added as its ears shifted down and its eyes began to water.

“No, no it isn’t.” You sigh with a pause a few steps away as it had moved to stand and looked uncertain. You didn’t want to risk spooking it and risk ruining the hide by having broken bones puncture it in various places. Not when you’re this close. “Im sorry little one but my fathers sick and he needs a good fluffy like you for a project we’ve been working on.” As the creatures face begins to ship to hopefulness you continue.

“But im not going to lie. This will mean Forever sleepies.”

“Nu wan! Babbeh nu wan forebah sweepies.” It adds nervously backing to the wall behind it.

“Im sorry you had to be awake for this… Perhaps if you see, you will understand. I promise not to hurt you,” You say slowly putting your hands out to try and induce the ‘wan upsies’ pose and the foal seeking some hope does just that. “that’s a very good baby…” You add cradling them to your chest and they could feel your growing relief and relaxed themselves. They coo as your thumb sweeps across its head and to its neck a few times, a few tears roll against your apron.

It would be so easy, to smother them now. . . But part of you was curious if one of them would understand your art.

“Mistah no am Munstah?” The foal adds hopeful as you step over to a wheel on the wall.

“Unfortunately, I am.” The foal lets out a soft ‘Huu’ at this. “But I want to believe that from time to time. Even a monster can be kind.” You say turning the wheel as the lock clacks to unlocked and you flip a switch on the wall as you begin to pull. The background lights on the wall paneling begins to gently glow illuminating the chamber as you step inside and seal the door behind just in case the foal tried to escape.

ColorWheel

The chamber was lined with curved containment boxes. Each of these boxes contained a series of fluffies. Foal, adolescent and young adult / adult, all of which were of a singular color for mane, tail and coat ; though the foals were just coat. Each pair lined up, foal Earthie and young adult earthie, Pegasus and young adult Pegasus, and unicorn the same. There was room above the sets that he intended to add shelving and install alicorns but that would be a project for him and his own son but there would be no way for him to complete the project if he was seeking alicorns as well so he settled on the tribute that he and his dad had started as they had never bagged any alicorns for it.

“Su many fwuffies…” The foal adds as you walk away from the black and down the darkening grays of every shade down the aisle of blue. It finally realizes something is off. “Scawey. Why nu bwinkies?” the foal inquires.

“So you noticed. All of these fluffies were pain takingly preserved upon death~ er. Upon going forever sleepies.” You say as you continue down the lightening shades of blue and occasionally pan them from side to side or up and down and the foal is fascinated by the almost hypnotic pattern as the colors get more intense towards the center and lighten to white at the far end.

They wanted to ask so many questions, but one burnt far more brightly in the foals mind. “Buh why?”

“Because my dear fluffy,” You say pressing a button on a remote on your apron as the cylinder begins to slowly rotate clockwise as you proceed backwards slightly and towards its general color on the pallet while. “I just find you neat.” You say pressing the button again to stop the rotation as your arm level is aligned with their color. “I want to preserve your colors and appearance for many mommies and daddies to witness this, the magnum opus of me and my fathers great work.” You say holding it out to show the missing foal earthie of his color type.

“You are one of the last few I need to complete this collection. Cant you see it,” You say leaning your face in as the two of you stare at the blank space next to the other fluffies in the collection. “your place in my work.” You whisper the words into its ear.

“. . .Babbeh can.” It says after a moment of sudden resolve. “Am scawedy ‘doh.” The foal adds circling its hoof for a moment in your palm before looking up at you. “Can ‘ou be daddeh tiww fwuffy go sweepies? Just wan’ wittwe wub befowe make aww those mommies an’ daddies happy.”

The first validation other then your father and immediate family on this project and it had come from a fluffy no less. Your heart was filled with renewed faith in your efforts so far. “Of course. Now, lets go make the most of it.” You say doubling back to the entrance without a moment to spare as you walk double time so as not to waste a second of the foals precious time.

“I think I’ll name you, Volunteer.” You say as you crank the wheel.

“Fwuffie name am bowunteew? fank ‘ou fo’ gud name.” They say as you push open and seal the door behind you. You place peach puff into the freeze dryer and close it. The process would take some time to complete but you had ample if your luck held out.
Volunteer spent the rest of the afternoon with you and the fluffies in the safe room. While the other fluffies napped and volunteer struggled to stay awake too nervous it would be his last time he went to sleep you brought him upstairs to visit with your father. The two got along swimmingly and you told your dad that you would have a surprise for him the last Friday of the month. “I’ll save the date then.” He added with a chuckle that turned cough as you rubbed his back and Volunteer tried his best to hug him better. You then took him to the kitchen and played ball on the kitchen table as the clock continued forward. Towards the end of the nap Volunteer began to get droopy and you let him ride on your shoulder.

His eyes opened when he saw you take out a glass jug of milk from the fridge. “Miwkies?” He added curiously as you poured them into a pot and began to heat up the mares milk for the foals in the safe room.

“Yes indeed my little volunteer.” you added and pause remembering something as you open the fridge and get a spoon from the drawer as you get a spoon of marinara sauce from the leftovers from spaghetti day. You add some spices and stir it in to give the richest, creamiest spaghetti soup~ er ‘milkies’ as befitting a last meal. Drool soaked into your shirt a the foal salivated.

You brought in the tray to the safe room and sat down on the floor.
“Miwkies?” One of the napping foals added stirring at the smell.

“Wakey wakey my beautiful fluffies, it’s time for milk.” You added setting the bottles on a wall rack so they could line up and feed next to you. The handful of foals began a scrambling dash to the wall with renewed excitement and you held Volunteer in crook of your elbow as you fed him his special mares milk.

‘Burp’ “Miwkies so gud.” He added with a quick break from his greedy suckling before returning.

“Im glad you like it.” You add humming to volunteer as he eats. Upon finishing he unlatches with a ‘paf’ sound and a contented mutter. “Bestest day, ebah.”

“Glad to hear it little one…” You add as he yawns and then nods.

“Am weady noa.” They say with a yawn. You have to stop yourself from saying it but they look at you and say “Am sure.” Before nuzzling against you and drifting off to sleep.

You stand up almost resigned and yet slightly sad. It had been awhile since you truly enjoyed your fluffies like this. You were tempted to keep this one and find another considering how common the bad colors were. But you realized that would be disrespectful to Volunteers determination. He could see his place in your work Afterall.

When the two were finally Freeze dried and effectively mummified you placed them on their spots and as you hung his sheet on the back wall you added a little note to the bottom.

‘Volunteer.’ Most of the others had simply been named their colors, this one had earned a name notation.

“Now to go get Salmon from the safe room so I can get the final piece in place.” You say with enthusiasm as his mane had come in the correct color as you turn to leave to make the last finishing touches to the collection. You always went with the same story that they had been adopted to their new forever home when or if the fluffies asked about their missing friends. After today there would only be the actual family pets left in the safe room.

He couldn’t wait to show father that their project was done.

20 Likes

good shit

5 Likes

Glad you liked it.

3 Likes

god i hope the dad will be able to see it

5 Likes

I left the ending open cause I wasn’t sure how I wanted to end it. Part of me wanted the happy ending (or the bittersweet happy ending where dad had a seizure from color overload while getting to see the finished work etc). The other part of me was tempted to go for sadbox and find his father had passed on in his sleep when he had come to check up on him/take him to see their finished work. Maybe feel a crushing regret for volunteer because of this and shut off the lights and seal himself off in the art piece with his father so they could all be together forever in their masterpiece.

Feel free to imagine an ending of your choice. :slight_smile:

7 Likes