The Longest Winter - Chapter 16 - By BloodyBoots

The Longest Winter

Chapter 16

Ralph’s rusty old van sputtered up to the town hall and found parking in the side lot. The building wasn’t very impressive compared to the town halls in larger cities. It was an old brick building with stone steps and four stone pillars in front of two large wooden doors below an aging stone roof. Two stories tall, square, nothing to write home about.

But to Ralph’s father, it was a fortress of solitude where he sat as county treasurer and member of the city council. He wasn’t the mayor, and he preferred it that way. He wasn’t good with people. Instead he managed the county’s finances and kept an eye out for investment opportunities, crooked or otherwise.

Ralph slowly walked up the stone steps, breathing heavily as he grabbed the door handle and pulled it open. He stepped inside the building and caught his breath. The place smelled like old books and the old lighting barely lit the hallway. He headed up the interior stairs to reach the second floor. It was the most exercise he had gotten in days.

He walked down the second floor hallway, looking at each door as he passed. Archives, restrooms, administrative office, record keeping, and finally; the treasury office. He knocked on the door as he wiped the sweat from his neck and brow.

“Who is it?” A gruff voice asked from behind the door.

“It’s me, pop.” Ralph replied, opening the door and peeking in.

He got a look at his father, Buck Donner, sitting behind his metal desk, surrounded by boxes full of files and stacks of paperwork. He looked like Ralph, only fatter, balder, and older. An oxygen tube rested under his nose and was connected to a tank attached to his motorized scooter. He wheezed and coughed as Ralph approached the desk.

“What the hell do you want, boy?” Buck sighed, not even looking up from his paperwork.

“I need some advice.” Ralph said, sitting in the large leather chair in front of the desk. Much more comfortable than the sheriff’s office. “I found a solution to our little problem, but I’m having trouble getting the goods.”

“What problem?” Buck wheezed. “What goods? Explain yourself, boy!” He grabbed a tissue to hold over his mouth as he coughed.

“I know that we ran out of fluffies in town, so the money we were making from ordinance 1-3.6 has dried up.” Ralph said.

“Because your dumbass killed em all instead of keeping them to breed!” Buck hissed, making sure to keep his voice quiet. “And the online market has completely collapsed after the ban on sales! Hasbio did a total recall on them, so now they’re nearly impossible to find!”

“I know.” Ralph agreed. “But I found some!”

Buck leaned back and folded his hands over his belly. “Go on…”

“You know the old cottage on the outskirts of town?” Ralph asked. “The old Saint James place?”

Buck pulled a couple of glasses and a bottle of scotch from his desk and poured a couple drinks. He handed one to his son. “Keep talkin’…” he said encouragingly.

“Well the old lady that lives there has herself a whole fresh batch of them!” Ralph explained. “A female with a few babies. Just what we need to get a breeding program going!”

“Let me guess.” Said Buck before chugging his scotch and setting the glass down. “She’s not interested in giving them up?”

“Exactly.” Ralph replied with a nod. “I tried reporting her to the police but that damn sheriff and his bitch secretary gave me the run around. Now I’m not even allowed up there again!”

“Hmm.” Buck hummed, tapping his desk. “She lives alone?” He asked.

“Yeah.” Ralph answered, drinking his scotch and setting the glass back on his father’s desk.

“Then leave it to me.” Buck said cooly.

“What are you gonna do, pop?” Ralph asked, leaning in close.

“We’re gonna take em, dummy.” Buck responded.

“But I’m not allowed…” Ralph tried to say before his father interrupted him.

“Not you, stupid.” Buck snapped. “The cops would know it was you.” He leaned over his desk and spoke quietly. “I’ve got a few lunkheads around town that owe me a favor. They’ll do the snatching, while you post somewhere nice and public for an airtight alibi.”

Ralph grinned and let out a sinister chuckle. “I knew I could count on you, pop!” He said as he stood up.

“I’ll be in touch, so stay by the phone.” Buck said sternly. “And keep your head down for a bit, don’t draw anymore attention to yourself.”

“Right.” Ralph nodded. And with that he was out the door and down the stairs towards the exit.

Meanwhile Buck picked up his desk phone and dialed out.

A deep voice answered on the other line. “Yeah?”

“It’s Buck Donner.” Buck said sharply.

“Oh. What’s up boss?” The voice replied.

“Meet me at the bar in one hour.” Buck said as he locked up his desk. “And come alone.”

Chapter 17

11 Likes

Praying these dickheads fail miserably, hopefully with Ralph getting his fucked up hobbies exposed. Sheriff already seems suspicious of him so I hope they’ll prevent the fluffy kidnapping and catch these crooked fuckers.

4 Likes

Is that nice old lady going to get killed, and shy little Honey end up in a cage pumping out foals until her body finally gives out? I guess we’ll see.

Hopefully we’re about to see some “Home Alone” antics, or one or more of the lunkheads get a butt full of buckshot.

1 Like

With Ralph owning what very well may be unregistered and illegal exotic pets as well as the animals he is neglecting, one search warrant and he will be rotting in jail for the rest of his life, hopefully honey ends up with a good life, she deserves it for once.

2 Likes