The Longest Winter - Chapter 18 - By BloodyBoots

The Longest Winter

Chapter 18

Ruth’s heart raced as she dialed out for the police. Soon she was connected to the officer on duty. It was officer Tanner, the sheriff’s deputy.

“Calm down, Ms. Saint James.” Tanner said over the phone. “I’m on my way to get a full report.”

Soon he was inside the cottage staring down at a crying fluffy.

“How long were you outside?” Tanner asked, taking notes on a small pad.

“A little less than an hour.” Said Ruth. “We were out back in the woods picking truffles.”

“I see.” Tanner noted. “And you’re sure they didn’t get outside?”

“I’m positive.” Ruth said firmly. “There’s no way they could have gotten out of their safety box, let alone through the door.”

“Ok then.” The officer said, nodding. “Do you know of anyone who would want to take them?”

“Ralph Donner, of Donner Exterminates.” Ruth said angrily. “That fat bastard has been up here twice already trying to convince me to hand them over.”

“I see.” The deputy replied. “Anyone else?”

“The only other people that know about the fluffies are Jeremy from the hardware store, Sheriff Stone, and Dr. Mitchell, the veterinarian.” Ruth explained. “And I know none of them would have taken them. It’s definitely Ralph!”

“Calm down.” Tanner said reassuringly. “I’ll go and put this report in and be in touch when I’ve got some updates, ok?” He closed his pad and headed for the door. “Just sit tight and try to stay positive. We’ll get those pets of yours back.”

Ruth watched as the man walked out to his cruiser and climbed into the driver’s seat. “There not just pets.” She said to herself. “They’re my babies.” She tried to fight back her tears but soon found herself sobbing on the floor while holding Honey tightly in her arms. Honey was crying too, desperately clinging to her mother for comfort.

“Wan babies!” Honey cried. “Wowstest heawt huwties ebah!”

Ruth couldn’t respond. She just cried as she held and stroked Honey while rocking back and forth.

Meanwhile, Deputy Tanner was driving through town on his way to Ralph’s farm when he suddenly saw Ralph’s old van parked in front of the town bar. Tanner parked behind it and stepped out of his cruiser. He looked up at the old bar sign. “Silver Spur Saloon” it read in faded red paint on an old white signboard. The bar was as old as the town itself.

Tanner stepped into the bar through the old Saloon doors and spotted Ralph at the bar enjoying a beer and some fries while watching TV. The deputy slowly approached the bar and sat down next to Ralph. The bartender, a tired looking middle aged woman, approached the officer.

“Hey there, Tim.” She said casually. “Business or pleasure?”

“I’ll take some coffee if it’s fresh.” Tim replied, setting his hat on the bar with a nod. He looked over at Ralph who was sweating as he watched the TV, doing his best to remain calm.

“Mr. Donner, a word please?” The deputy asked.

Ralph looked over after taking a sip of beer. “Yes, officer?” He asked innocently.

“You weren’t up around the old Saint James cottage today were you?” Asked Tanner.

“Nope.” Ralph replied quickly. “Been here watching the Broncos crush the Steelers. Ain’t that right, Becky?” He shouted over at the bartender as she poured Tim’s coffee into a mug.

“Yes.” The woman nodded. “He’s been here buggin’ me since before noon.” She set the deputy’s coffee down in front of him along with some cream and sugar.

Tanner pour some cream into his coffee and open a sugar packet. “Well ain’t that convenient.” He said with a sigh. “Ruth tells me you were up at her place twice trying to take her fluffies. Is that true?”

“You mean when I caught her breaking the law, harboring illegal ferals?” Ralph retorted. “Or do you mean after that when I kindly offered her a trade for an adorable puppy and she threatened to blow my head off?”

“Mmhmm.” Tim said, pouring the sugar packet into his coffee and stirring it with a spoon.

“What’s this about anyway?” Ralph asked. “Is she filing a complaint against me or something?”

“It seems her fluffies have gone missing.” The deputy explained. “Any idea who might have taken them, or where they might be?”

“No idea.” Said Ralph cooly as he took a swig from his beer. “I’ve just been here enjoying my day off.”

Tanner drank his coffee and set the cup down on the bar before standing up. “Well you be sure to give us a call if you hear anything.”

“Sure thing, officer.” Ralph said with his eyes glued to the TV.

Tim stepped back outside and looked through the windows of Ralph’s van but didn’t see or hear anything. He got back in his cruiser and updated the notes on his pad. He had just lost his prime suspect and was now out of leads. He didn’t look forward to breaking the news to Ruth, but he had no choice. With the sheriff being off duty, the town was the deputy’s responsibility. He sighed as he pulled away from the bar and back towards the old cottage.

Meanwhile Ralph left his barstool and headed for his van. His mission was complete and he could now safely return home just in case the police tried to go sniffing around his property without a warrant.

The exterminator pulled his van up to the front of his barn to block the door. He then waddled into his house and grabbed the phone off the wall to dial his father at his office.

“Town Hall Treasury.” His father answered on the other end.

“Hey, pop, it’s me.” Ralph replied. “I’m back home, everything went perfectly!”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Buck hollered. “You’re supposed to stay at that bar until closing time!”

“No worries, pop.” Ralph said reassuringly. “The deputy came by the bar and got my alibi. He must have seen my van parked out front while on his way to the farm. He was on his way back from the old bat’s cottage. Your thugs sure do work fast!”

“THEY WON’T BE THERE UNTIL AFTER DARK, YOU IDIOT!” Buck screamed into the phone. “THEY HAVEN’T DONE THE JOB YET!!”

“What?” Ralph said, confused. “But the deputy said that someone took the fluffies already!”

“WHAT??!”

Chapter 19

13 Likes

A dramatic twist! A previously unknown foalnapper has emerged in the plotline.

4 Likes

Call me Chubby Checker cos that was one hell of a Twist

3 Likes