The NobodyAtAll Literary Universe

Please do not abuse the flag system in order to curb accurate appraisals of your work.

He’s not abusing the flag system. Appraisals of his work are fine, so long as they follow rule 9, and that post was over the line. There’s a difference between criticism, constructive or otherwise, and insults.

1 Like

Try reading these things yourself and come back with a take that encapsulates these faults in a gentle and coddling manner, moderator.

I have, and I did discuss it with him in a less than coddling manner myself in the past - albeit with a mind to suggest ways he can improve coupled with my blunt assessment. He did not take it well at the time. However, I didn’t insult him or his work, just gave my opinion that he can do better if he puts his mind to it, and tried to point out ways he could do that.
Remember, anyone can shit on something. It takes zero effort and just as much thought and skill. Someone who’s never read or written a word in their lives can call writing garbage just as easily as an expert. And it accomplishes fuck all. But trying to help someone? That takes a level of insight, effort, and consideration of the level they’re at and the best ways for them to grow past it. And it accomplishes something of worth.
IMO people who actually know what they’re talking about shouldn’t need to put others down or boast. That kinda thing is for the insecure and bitter. You know better than him? Then show it, by explaining his flaws and why they work against him, and suggesting ways he can improve, rather than wasting both your time by just complaining.
You yourself said said something to the tune of ‘people have been sitting around bitching when they coulda been making more of what they want to see’ in that discussion thread, IIRC. I admire that way of thinking. Do something that matters instead of spouting negativity about what you dislike - It’s a damn good attitude, one I tend to stick to myself. It’s the exact same logic here. Why sit around and complain rather than trying to solve the problem or set an example?

2 Likes

Because when I was given my task I was informed of the one in question’s insistence on ignoring practical advice and given his response to this comment, I can say that I was not misled. I lack a creative bone in my body but I cannot condone the behavior of this author, especially if his content has no right to be hosted here.