The Origin of the Pillowfluff?

It’s 4am and I’m getting progressively more feral as boredom sets in and my heat won’t turn on.

So of course that leads me to the topic of pillowfluffs. Somehow.

Oh the odes to pillowing I would write if I simply wasn’t on my phone. Such abject horror in such a mundane environment. Rarely do I find the best pillowing stories and art to revolve around abuse. No- it’s the “love” of the parent. It’s really what’s best in the end. Just trust them.

But it did get me thinking: where did this all start? Who came up with pillowing? What’s the first bit of work regarding it?
And more importantly- what’s your favourite bit of work?

14 Likes

@Oculusfluffy do you know?

1 Like

No heat gang, my furnace is busted too. Relying on warm temps and heated blankets!!!

I think originally it was to prevent fluffies from hurting other fluffies. Of course, accidents happen and a fluff may lose a limb.

My fav pillow trope is the rapist becomes the enfiepal :)))

6 Likes

It was horrible, hence it come to be. Simple as that

7 Likes

Before my time but one of my favorite subjects for sure.
Draytini’s A Farewell to Weggies is a great (albeit unfinished) story that broaches the subject from a very sadbox POV that focuses more on the reality of what life would be like for a limbless fluff.

No Good Deed… by OtherCoraline which show both how traumatized a pillow truly is and how difficult it would be to get adopted.

Caring for a Pillowfluff was Wolfram’s well thought out guide where great attention to even the most minor of details was written out. To this day I use most of what he wrote as personal canon. He also did Spinel and I think A Day in the Life of a Pillowfluff hits home just how horrible it is for a fluffy to lose their legs and the kind of toll it takes on their psyche.

12 Likes

Try and stay warm :fire:

4 Likes

Some of the best sadbox content seems to come from pillowfluffs, most tags come from green text stories but it might not be the case here

as for favorite bit of work, i think

Spinel (by: Wolfram_Sparks)

3 Likes

It’d be difficult to pin down the creator of pillowing fluffies, but they’ve been a thing for as long as I’ve been into fluffies, so they existed back in 2016. Really good question though.

2 Likes

Pillowfluffs are happy fluffs!

2 Likes

Pillow fluffs have been around since before they were even called pillow fluffs. The phase “how time tiww weggies” has been around since at least the beginnings of Fluffybooru.

2 Likes

I found some cases of people cutting off the legs of dogs, usually from botched efforts at medical aid after wrapping bandages too tight after the dig was injured rather than take them to a vet. A few cruelty-based to limit their movement either from being too hyper or to make them “more effective sentry dogs” who would stay nearer to a specific place and be more prone to noticing things and alert the literally able-bodied attack dogs.

I was hoping to find some article they were parodying like something about Chinese dog owners trying to keep dogs behaved in small apartments with nuggetification or something, but if thats the case its been forgotten by google’s first ten pages.

So many earlier Fluffy pillow works portraying limbs as easily replaceable leads me to think its a parody of kids tearing the limbs off toys, specifically Manglors which had it as their play gimmick. Though Ideal Toys put out Manglors, now owned by Mattel, while MLP was Hasbro they existed in the same era.

Alternatively its a joke about how real horses are basically glue once they break a leg due to breeding fucking most breeds up royally so their limbs break easily and don’t really ever heal properly. Intentionally fucking up Fluffies in a way that’s so devastating for real ponies, and entirely invalidates every single one of their play gimmicks, just produces irony.

2 Likes

I can certainly attest to the use of a blanket.
And yes, I.
I like that too much.
That sounded weird.

Anywho, my favourite just has to be the sadness of it. That mortal horror: I can’t walk. I can’t play. I. Cannot. Interact.
Beyond their voice, what can they do that will impact anything? And no one listens to a fluffy…

2 Likes

Well, you sir have saved the evening with these links and a very well thought out reply. Hats off to ya!

I must say- I think the first one I saw was actually Wolfram’s guide. Got me hooked from then on.

1 Like

Damn. It’s sad to hear things like that happen in real life. I suppose that things like that could have definitely inspired the pillowfluff. Conflicted now, hm.

1 Like