The problem with having Aquafluffs as a pet

So I was thinking, my headcanon is that the average fluffy adult is the size of a terrier, with foals being the size of hamsters. If we apply this size to Aquafluffs, well you’d need a comedicly big aquarium to house a couple comfortably. Like, if you wanted to just keep two without any foals, you’d have a room that makes you look like a Bond Villain.

9 Likes

If you care about them of course.
I’ve seen some drawings of Aquafluffs being full sized sticking awkwardly out of goldfish bowls.
But 100% agree, If you love them and want them happy, it’s a saferoom sized pool or aquarium

3 Likes

That’s why I am going to opt into making mine smaller in headcannon. If they were the size of my fluffies in headcannon(about the size of a 20lb cat) then you’d need a small pond to house one.

2 Likes

I’d think that micro sea fluffs might be a decent size. But, I think the best habitat might be an aquarium with a terrarium.

5 Likes

Goldfish are notoriously filthy fish and need more water volume for their size, so they’d be a decent comparison to calculate tank/pool/pond size off of. So yeah, without and advanced filter setup and frequent water changes, I think only a micro-sized aquafluff could stay in a regular tank. If they could be trained to hop out of the water to ise some sort of side-mounted poop catcher, maybe they could get by with a lower volume ratio.

And now I’ve had the idea of aqua-cottonfluffs in a planted tank and I need my stylus, stat.

4 Likes

Eh, it ain’t a problem in my headcanon.

On the fantastic side: my headcanon’s aquafluffies were created for a race of amphibious aliens. Their cities have plenty of water features, and their houses have baths in every room.

On the mundane side: aquafluffies have become popular among humans in coastal regions, or anywhere with shittons of water. They’re big in Venice. This just made sense to me. I can imagine a fishing crew on a boat out at sea, with an aquafluffy as their lovable sidekick. I might do a story about just that.

2 Likes

I’d toss mine into a pond in the backyard or a kiddy pool lol

2 Likes

I did some sea-fluff/Aquafluff posts a while back. Maybe they’ll help:

Sea-fluffs
Aquafluff biology lesson
Fun with Aquafluffs
Aqua fluffy
Nessie
McGonagall tribute 1
Aquafluffs and earthies

Anyway …

1 Like

So…like a gold fish. Needing way more space than people think

4 Likes

Most aquafluffies I have seen are more like micros, size-wise.
On the other hand, people keep saying they won’t grow past the size of their tank…

1 Like

My thoughts on this is that aqua fluffs are just micro sea fluffies that are amphibious. They get hamster sized, which still means you need a 50 gallon tank.

2 Likes

When I hear seafluffs, my mind goes to the seal/fluff hybrid with flippers instead of legs, and no gills but better lung capacity. It also goes to that image of a seafluff and ordinary fluff that had mated and are crying over their stillborn litter that are grossly misshapen.

In my head cannon, fluffies come in all sizes the smallest being the size of a hamster while the biggest are about the size of a beagle.
…or the MLP plushie that girl was lugging around in Bayformers 1

( about 2 min in)
That’s the ideal size for a fully grown fluffy to me.

Aqua fluffies should come in all size too then from guppy size to the size of a marlin or normal fluffy or so with variations.
So if you are a bond villain you get the biggest ones available, but smaller ones fit in an average tank.
…with heating element,
…and pump,
and filter,
…and airrater.

(i’ve had betta’s for 10 years. )

Mine are a completely separate breed based on copying elements of the “main line” fluffy DNA but with different base animals. They’re a little smaller than full-sized adult fluffies, with comparable body size to yearlings but with larger limbs, but ultimately they are going to need a lot of space. For a habitat, around 1000-3000 gallons would be enough room for one breeding pair and their pups for long enough for weaning and outplacement.

You could potentially “hot swap” them if you needed: in short bursts my sea fluffs can be extremely happy in downright tiny containers: two could easily plop into a 5 gallon bucket to watch TV with “weggie fwiends” while their larger tank was maintained.

But, ultimately, in my AU they weren’t intended for personal pets except for the most ardent hobbyists. Instead, seafluffies were going to be primarily targeted at aquariums, zoos, children’s museums, and possibly things like hospitals or multi-doctor health centers that cater to families, with home owners and apartment dwellers intending to be targeted by standard and microfluffs, respectively.

And Cottonfluffs were targeted at corporate America, but that’s waiting for the story that focuses on it.

That is basically the problem of why in my headcanon they failed in sales, nobody wanted to buy the giant fish tanks they needed to live. Yes, physically they can be without water but they get depressed and die quickly because of it. In my headcanon the aqua fluffys were originally freshwater and the company that created them based on certain modifications closed and it was decided to kill the aqua fluffys by throwing them into the sea. But a certain percentage managed to survive and adapt to both survive in fresh and salt water.

Depends - do they have to be in water all the time? I’d guess they don’t because who’d want a fluffy you can never hug? So if they can sort of hump around on land like seals they probably wouldn’t need a huge tank.