The Problem with Hivecanon (Opinion piece by Oculus)

Old man Jberg360 here with some old timey grumbles.
One of the reasons I moved away from fluffies years ago (aside from personal reasons) was that the fandom shifted from “innocents survive in a cruel world” to what I now see called “Hellgremlins” In that time a lot of the “canon” lore never changed. The fall of Cleveland was a good story but influenced daily posting and art very little. Same with PETA.

The fluffy fandom started as a corruption of the mlp overly positive world view and the lore was based on the explosion of mlp merch and fandom. It made sense that Hasbio/Hasbro would be the company to take things to the next level. A passing joke was that PETA let them go not for an explanation of them being incomplete but as an explanation as to why they could breed in the wild. Because Hasbio would have sold them as neutered creatures under their complete control. If PETA hadn’t released the breeding stock we wouldn’t have the feral population.

Now people came up with a lot of story ideas around that early release and some of it was good enough to keep. Personally, I like to think Hasbio didn’t think fluffies could even live on their own as they created them to be dependent on their own name brand fluffy food (that looked like sketties). Without a proprietary enzyme in the food the digestive tract couldn’t absorb nutrients. Of course they did survive but they have constant shits because they aren’t getting that enzyme and it messes with their bowels.

Now that last paragraph was my personal canon, and as far as I know not shared with anyone. But I keep it in the back of my head when I create fluffy stuff but it honestly hasn’t come up as an interesting plot point in any story so I don’t mention it. The same can be true for fluffies being a complete/incomplete product or if they actually came from Hasbio. It hasn’t been something important to my stories so I don’t write about it.

And that is sort of the point. A person doesn’t need to acknowledge that the PETA break in happened of that they are even a product of Hasbio unless they need a reason for fluffies to exist to tell their story. I couldn’t tell you how many people have old lore as canon since people don’t typically say, but I suspect that for the first year, most people post something they find interesting and learn a little from comments that let them seek out different stories and discover the older lore. They might build on it or reject it.

Long story short. You do you, create something you like and if others like it they might run with your ideas and the canon and lore may change over time. Good or bad.

6 Likes

I actually rather like that idea .

6 Likes

I believe I stole it from the Jurassic Park Novel.

6 Likes

I think thats the best approach.
Use the basics and then add your own concepts.

Thats alright.
We all steal ^^

But I like it as a reasonable explanation why fluffies are walking shitmachines

Like i got a whole back story for kitsune fluffies ( my fluffy poison of choice)

4 Likes

My take is simple. A more realistic view of fluffies, or at least I strive to portray them as such.

I read Cleveland. I read the PETA breakout.

I deeply disliked the first one. Too many moving pieces, too much meddling with the occult, arcane and with people being dumber than fluffies to actually ignore the writing on the wall.
People going ham on fluffies because they believe the frickin’ flawed things blew up a city willingly/nobody cares about who should have been in charge of the maintenance?
It’s not for me. But not because of the unrealistic standards. I like most of NobodyAtAll’s works and those are almost shonen-mixed-with-DC-comic level of crazy atimes. But because of how they are inserted in an otherwise regular world or how much they ignore logic only when it comes to be stacked against fluffies. Regardless, I know many people loved it and all that the spinoffs it spawned, but it just ain’t my cup of tea.

The PETA raids I adopted in my own canon, but gave them little importance. It happened, fluffies were scattered and against all odds managed to survive through trial and error or simply dumb luck. I like to think they are a human-animal dna mix 'n match. Hence them talking, reasoning, dreaming and having personalities. Sure, like eels, who know how to get to the ocean despite never seeing it, most fluffies retain base instincts (my own take on the programming thing. Programming is for computers, not flesh and blood creatures who have bodily functions in my book.) like the love for spaghetti, hugs, love, innately trust humans, etc.

But I always saw them being “retarded” as them being extremely naive, until life (or people) hit them in the nuts. Then there can be character development, something the basic “fluffy poneh drowns” lacks for my enjoyment.

Then the whole “biotoy/soap” thing goes out the window. Scientific definition is the way, I have no need for a random dystopian element in an otherwise regular world. Plus, that trope merely allows people to abuse fluffies in plain sight. But if an animal abuser wants to have fun, they still get it, but not so easily. Which means I have to come up with motives and ways for them to achieve their own goals and I think most people who use that trope either do that for extra “sad points for the poor fluffies” or to avoid having to write a character having people around them.

Tl; dr, sorry for the wall of text. In short I wholeheartedly agree with @Oculusfluffy.

Of course, fluffies should still be easily recognizable as such. I personally dislike Puffygriffins, Cannibal Fluffies and Fuzzies, but I live the bowlfluffies, micros and seafluffies. To each their own, I guess.

3 Likes

I see you are a man who values self expression above conformity now get off your lazy mod ass and prove you mean what you say and return my post Muh head cannon ripoffMcgee - #30 by jberg360 back to image self posting

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’d go that far.

1 Like

I would , and oculus claims to so I will appeal to a like minded mode

1 Like

download (6)

2 Likes

My good sir, your manners! Surely, you wouldn’t suggest your post was moved into the Personal group because it was a provocatory shitpost!

It is clearly a preposterous accusation, I say! The mods are clearly protecting the impressionable newcomers from feeling so inferior to your perfect and clearly identifiable depiction of a fluffy family!

3 Likes

You assume it is a troll and not just what I want my fluffies to be

1 Like

Perhaps my next post or the ones after will prove my commitment

1 Like

Exactly, I do declare! They are indeed clearly recognizable as such! Why, it would take a blind man to miss the obvious telltale signs of a fluffy!

2 Likes

We shall eagerly await your next, undoubtably iconic and definetely impossible to mistake for an eldritch horror, depiction of a fluffy!

Tarry not, master artisan, for your craft is sure to be longingly beheld by the uncultured masses!

2 Likes

Fluffies look as they do because they are loosely based off mlp, but in my vision mlp its self looked different so the fluffies based on it look like them

2 Likes

Whatever do you mean?

They clearly resemble fluffies, if ever I saw one!

My sincere and deepest simpathy, if some simpleton were to ignore the striking resemblance! Woe to the uneducated swine who’d tarnish your work by insinuating that anything could then be called a fluffy as long as a line of fluffspeak were to be laid near the creature!

Pay no heed to the envious masses, my good fellow. Listen only to your muse and your swollen gray matter, I say!

2 Likes

Such is life some vision are to grand to be appreciated in there time

2 Likes

A lot of the hivecannon is pretty silly, and I never cared for the whole Cleveland thing much.

Hasbio often gets portrayed as this multi-billion dollar behemoth straight out of cyberpunk, but it would more likely be a tiny start-up in anything near reality, probably working on a shoestring budget (all of Hasbro is under $14 billion in value today whereas Microsoft is over two TRILLION dollars in value). Hasbio was probably funded a few million dollars from the parent company and could have thus easily imploded after fluffies got out.

I kind of understand how hellgremlins got started, since abusing sweet and naive creatures likely gets hard to justify. Many (most) abuser characters I’ve read about just come off as some variation of loner a-hole, sociopath or full-blown psychopath, which diminishes the drama a bit. Having more of a reason for hurting a fluffy other than ‘fuck you’ is a breath of fresh air whenever I come across it. That’s just lazy writing and makes the artist/author seem like an edgy teenager without much to say, going for shock value like they were making a cheap horror movie.

3 Likes

My hivecannon:

A giant gun that shoots swarms of agitated bees at people.

5 Likes

When I shoot agitated things at people I get told it’s an STD

3 Likes