The Winds of Time [Thebitz]

Lenore standing in silence in a side room, staring at a particularly boring tile in the floor when a shrill of ‘BIGGES’ POOPIES’ from the room next to hears filled the air. With a suprising bit of dexterity for someone who had been staring at the floor for over half a hour she nabbed a bottle of ‘Mare-Scent’, giving herself a few sprits before entering into the sterile lab like enviroment on the otherside.

It was a relatively small room thorugh the swinging doors, counters and cabinets on either side and a smooth silver work table in the centre, locked caster wheels preventing it from moving. Atop the table was a fluffy mare, a rather beautiful one at that, a pastel yellow tone to her fluff and a cute marshmallow white mane. What wasn’t beautiful however was her face, twisted in pain and covered in tears as she pushed out foal after foal, the lab assistant in the room helping out, gently placing the little bundles of joy on a plush white blanket nearby but out of sight of the mare.

This had all been rehearsed and Lenore said nothing to the assistant as she kept the mare busy and facing away, letting Lenore inspect the foals. Despite her cold demeanour she took a delicate touch to the fluffies, making sure each they were healthy. It was close to a regular delivery up until Lenore snatched up the second born foal, a colt with the tiniest wisps of off white fluff having formed.

The doctor began to hum a soft song to the colt as she swaddled him in a wrap, leaving the room with him, quickly soothing his peeps and chrips with a bottle of the highest quality formula money could buy.

— Six Months Later —

“Mummah! Mummah! Fwost was dah bestes’ fwuffie today! Made gud poopies an’ pwayed wiff bwockies an’ baww an’ tee-bee an’-” The cream coloured fluffy prattled on and on as his Mummah entered the room, his hooves tapping softly on the tile floor as he struggled to keep up with her whilst also trying to hug her legs.

Lenore had put her best smile on for her pet, it was getting easier with time as she got attached to the little thing but it still required some effort. “Oh i bet! Now, i need you to be a good boy and listen okay? Mummah has some very important news for you!” She crouched down, her labcoat brushing along the floor as she rested on one knee, extending a hand to scartch the fluffy’s ear, earning a cute coo.

“Otay Mummah! Fwost am da’ bestest fwuffie!” With that the plump toy sat down, staring up at his Mummah. He was very attached to her, barely able to sit in place when she was around. This wasn’t to plan but it didn’t hurt the experiment so it was allowed. Frost’s short life had been nearly as good as a fluffies could get, plenty of toys and love and yummy kibble. But most importantly he got sketti not just once a week but twice!

Lenore brushed some of her shoulder length black hair behind a ear, waiting until her fluffy had settled down. As much as a fluffy could anyways. “Okay, Mummah knows how lonely you’ve been when i have to go and i know how badly you’ve wanted a friend to play with. So i’m going to take you to go make some-”

“FWOST GET NYU FWEND?!?”

Lenore winced at the excited shriek, raising a hand up to quiet the fluffy. “Buuuut, you need to get some medicine first, okay? Just to make sure you or your new friends don’t get sick? Okay? It’s going to be a little prick and owies but you’re my big boy and can handle it, right?”

The threat of getting hurt did cause the fluffy to whine and whimper, ears going flat to his head for a moment but soon enough he sprung back up. “Yus! Fwost am weady fo’ medisun fo’ fwendsies!”

The doctor began to smile softly, more content she could soon work on new, her interest in this project had wained after only a few days exposure to the young fluff. Humming the usual tune to comfort Frost she lifted him up, making her way through a few hallways into another lab space. She set the bundle of cream fluff down on the stainless steel table, patting him on the head gently.

Frost tapped his hoofsies gently on the table, shivering at the cold. He didn’t complain however, he was a good, big boy afterall. That lasted all of two mintues when his Mummah turned around, a long pointy syringe in her hands. In that instant he let out a stream of scaredy peepees, only barely holding in from making poopies.

“Aww, honey, i know you’re scared but don’t worry! This will be quick.” She spoke softly in as comforting tone as she could. For those who knew her it sounded uncanny, unlike her but to the simple mind of a fluffy it soothed the nerves. With stable hands she placed the needle against a vein, injecting the pet with the medicine. Only a few moments later the fluffy flumped over into a induced coma. Seeing as her facade qas no longer needed Lenore dropped the happy go lucky mother routine, going to the nearby intercom. “Alright, it’s done, get him set up, i’m going to get to writing my report.”

— Seven years later —

Frost had been kept in his artifical coma for seven whole years, kept alive and mostly healthy through various machines to help breathing, digestion, anything you could imagine. Seeing as Frost was a fluffy he posessed a unique combinations of traits that made him invaluable to science, most notably he lacked any rights but still had a brain that held some faint similarity to the human mind.

His state led to a few useful discoveries in the medical field, namely a ways of helping coma patients in a few niche cases. Despite his contributions to science he was getting to the edge of his life, fluff graying, joints weak and brittle, close to point of outright degeneration.

Frost’s eyes slowly blinked open, the first thing he noticed was the heavy pain in his chest and secondly he noticed he was alone! Where was his Mummah, he had just been with her, getting his medicine so he could make his new friends. Standing up he began to whine softly, even the sensation of standing unaided cause his joints to ache, it only worstened as he began to walk around the room. “MUMMAH! WAW AM MUMMAH! FWOST HAB BIGGES SCAWDIES! NEED HUGS AND WUB! PWEEEEASE!” Before his coma he had never experienced pain or even fear to this degree. His heart began to pound faster and faster until the door opened with a squeak, a familliar woman entering. His Mummah!

“Samantha, make sure the camera footage is being logged, this is not something i want to repeat.” With that Lenore turned away from the boxy intercom and to instead look at her former ‘pet’. While she had kept up eith the project this was the first time she had seen him in person since she had induced the coma.

“MUMMAH FWOST HAB BIGGES’ HUWTIES AN’ CAN NU WUN FAST OW MOVE WIGHT”

“That’s what happens when fluffies get old Frost.” Lenore spoke impasionetly, any affection she had for the animal having died off long ago. “You’re almost eight, i’m suprised you’ve hung on this long.” The doctor could see the confusion settling in on the fluffies face.

“Bu, bu, bu Fwost no am owd, Fwost am onwy big fwuffie!” His panic had been abated as he tried to rationalize what his Mummah was telling him.

“I’ll be honest with you Frost, you’ve been asleep for a very long time. Look, even your fluff is going grey.” She pulled a pocket mirror, holding it down at the fluffy’s eye level, letting him see his reflection.

Frost stared at the copy of himself, his breath increasing in pace by the second. It went faster and faster, well beyond the point of hyperventilating until with a loud ‘SCREEEEEE!’ of pain the fluff went stiff, dropping onto his side.

Lenore raised a eyebrow at the sight before approching, placing a single finger on Frost’s neck before returning to the intercom. “Heart attack. Get Montgomery’s guys in here, i’m sure they’ll want a look.” With that Lenore turned her back on the dying fluffy, leaving his fading mind to think of the years stolen from him.

9 Likes

Let’s hear it for animal testing!

No, really, it’s the best research option we’ve got. Computer models are decades away, at best.

I am simple man, I see Centurii chan pfp, I click like

2 Likes

And then she went next door to cuddle and feed the happy, elderly control. The end.

2 Likes