To make a good mother (ESF)

I don’t think hatred towards poopie babbehs (or alicorns, for that matter) is ingrained into fluffies by their genetics at all. In fact, I think most fluffies probably AREN’T discriminatory towards poopeh babbehs.
Having mothers get rid of poor offspring would be benificial towards producing lines containing only fluffies with good coats, so this is probably ingrained into fluffy lines externally by having the mothers train their children to harbor that hatred.
So, I imagine this is a problem found in lines of storebought fluffies, but not in stray fluffies or homebred fluffies.

59 Likes

This is kind of reflected in my own writings, plus ‘poopies’ being a rationalization for a mother having to cull her young in times of low food.

8 Likes

Wonderful drawing, wonderful idea, simply wonderful.

2 Likes

So… you’re saying we can teach them to hate …

!
5 Likes

Jack fucking Nicholson!!!

That is all.

2 Likes

Always disliked the idea of someone, especially a breeder with no intention of abusing, telling the fluffy that they were bad because they birthed a brown foal.
Like… what do you want them to do? Do they think that they get a choice?

3 Likes

When you spend so much time around fluffies that your iq is dragged by theirs

2 Likes

What would be people’s problem with alicorns? I mean, why would they plant into fluffies they are ‘munsta-babbes’ when they are rare anyway, plus there are stories in which breeders praying and waiting with crossed fingers to have at least one in the next litter.

I think fluffies are just simply stupid, but I prefer my headcanon that is fluffies actually seeing them as ‘talking piece of shit’, because they have wrong eye, and basiclly there are no human who could tell how they interpret the world arond them. So, fluffies view the world so different than us that a human could not comprehend that.

1 Like

In a lot of old canon’s ‘Munstah Babbeh’ is a glitch despite them being the most valuable. While ‘poopeh babbeh’ can either be fluffy stupidity thinking brown = poop or intentional from hasbio because brown sell less than crazy colours

2 Likes

Indeed I agree with you that genetic hatred of less-desirable-to-human coats, doesn’t make sense. It only makes sense as a learned/taught behavior, by hasbio staff and later independent breeder staff, who sought to maximize proffit per dollar spent raising foals, as brown/tan are run of the mill unremarkable colors already found in dogs and cats commonly, while the neon colors were new, novel, and exciting, and thus more valuable.

But yeah, once they’re all feral? I actually expect the opposite, for the naturally selected fluffies to be ones with more green, brown, grey, and dark beige tones, since those camoflauge into the forest and concrete way better than a bright yellow one ever would. It would make sense that some herds would actually commit infanticide on their children that had coats too visible. Some desperate mothers would probably smother these newborns in dirt and mud, to dirty up their child enough to pass, but in cases where that’s futile, the herd and smarties would do the deed.

As for house fluffies… they have infinite food and water, or at least they’d expect to. There’s no reason to select their strongest children, but I do suspect they’d still put any runts as last on the list to take care of, since those often have difficulties living even with proper human care. The only reason they’d discriminate here, is if it was taught from the who raised the fluffy, be that their mother, or the breeder. I bet that’s another huge factor that separates the quality from the garbage breeders: how well they can hide the negative impacts of efficient breeding, in their end product.

What do you think about all this?

By the way, Alicorn hatred is different. The meta answer is that it was a preventative measure used by the early fluffy community, to curtail an onslaught of donut steel OC mary sue alicorns, that plauged the MLP community. If that bit of headcanon weren’t there, well, that would exactly happen. It’s unfortunate, but I do agree that means it’s a good idea to keep a headcanon like that around. The headcanon of fluffy thought being “it’s purely incomprehensible for a fluffy to be both horned and wingy” is kinda contrived and weird though. There’s gotta be a better headcanon to acomplish this, but I have no idea what’d be better.

4 Likes

It’s psychological abuse. By shaming them for making brown foals, they worry over something they have no control over. They beg their tummy babbehs to be “good” colours. And that’s a beautiful thing to see.

2 Likes

I always took brown fluffies in the same vein. It was so ingrained in them that when sent into the wild it spread. In my stories I enjoy portraying the struggles of a brown fluffy

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s fun for abuse, but if it’s a breeder then stressing them out won’t help if your trying to maximize profits.
The brown foals will still come, but then the mare will panic and probably experience an earlier death due to stress or even a mental snap, resulting in the her possibly killing of a fortune foal in the same litter.

3 Likes

this needs to be a headcannon

2 Likes

This genetic poopie bias is stupid, though I always thought Alicorns were uncanny valley to mothers. Like it’s one thing to kill a kid because it’s ugly it’s another if it looks like a literal monster to them. While not exactly a moral behavior this shit happened all the time, like if a child was born with sharper teeth and a tail in a medieval Jewish community there was a good chance it would be killed for being a ghoul or werewolf.

3 Likes

Considering for a few stories I’ve been rattling around in my head that alicorns are just similar enough to trigger the fear response predatory birds should cause creatures as small as fluffies, which leads to the moniker “munsta babbeh” since the fluffy doesn’t understand why it has an aversion to the child, but it’s aware that something is /wrong/ with it. Avoids it being some weird insane 5d chess move where hasbio programmed fluffies to hate alicorns even though hasbio planned on being the sole source of fluffies or some silly rationalization that winged horned babies cannot be comprehended by fluffies.

1 Like