Try to be a Good Mummah (chapter four, by Axestraddler)

Hey guys! I’m back with the fourth installment of Try to Be a Good Mummah. It’s a little shorter this time, but I hope you all enjoy it regardless. Please let me know any thoughts you have in the comments, you all know that I’m always looking for constructive criticism I’m particular by now, I’m sure.

This series is gonna go on a bit longer than originally planned, I hope you’ll keep along for the full story.

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three

You are Opal, an aspiring mummah fluffy. Today you made a big mistake. A really, really big one. Actually, scratch that. It’s not a mistake, you MEANT to throw your baby on the ground. You intended for things to turn out differently, but you did do it on purpose.

The can didn’t break, or open, but the foal inside bounced violently off the walls of the enclosure. There was boo-boo juice, which is always bad. The baby isn’t moving. Which is even worse.

You hope desperately that your new baby is just sleeping, even though deep, deep down, you know she is never going to wake up again.

“Opaw bad mummah.” You can’t help but say. In fact, you’re having trouble stringing coherent thoughts together, even more than usual. “Opaw gib aww babbehs foweba sweepies.”

You can’t stop staring at the can, which settled just outside your nest. You’re too afraid to go and check on her. You don’t want to know exactly how bad you hurt her. If she wakes up, you hope she will still love you.

Yesterday, the excitement of finally having a baby kept your mind off your broken tail, but the tip of it hangs limply, and throbs painfully. It’s warmer near the break, but not in a pleasant way. You try to give your tail lickie-cleanies, but it just causes you more pain.

You keep at it, trying to make your tail feel pretty again. You give it huggies. You coo to it. You do all the things for your tail that you KNOW you should be doing for your baby.

But you know those things won’t work on babies. Huggies and love and mummah songs don’t wake up forever-sleepies babies. They never have for you.

You briefly wish for these actions to do something about your pain, but quickly replace that hope. Truly you hope the pretty little filly foal in the can is alive and well, your concern for her far more important to you than even your own welfare.

You’ve always wanted babies. Even Mummah Jane wanted you to be a good mummah. You know you’re disappointing her, wherever she is. She only ever asked you to be a good mummah. Why is that the one thing you can’t do right?!

Other fluffies, even ones more dummy than you have babies. They have foals that peep and chirp, that talk and drink milkies, that run and play and give hugs and love. It’s not fair!

You have, in even darker moments, considered just taking a baby from a particularly bad mummah. Or begging, even for a poopie colored baby. You always dismiss these thoughts. You’ve seen foals cry when taken from their parents. It’s too sad a sound and sight to put yourself or a baby fluffy through that.

All the heart hurties get to you, and tears spill over your cheeks and onto the ground as your body is wracked with sobs. You can’t hold all these bad feelings in you anymore. The world is a big meanie. You feel like if you can’t have babies, there’s not much point in being awake.

You wish for forever sleepies. You want to be with all your foals, having good forever dreams. You cry even harder thinking about them. About the strong and special fluffies they would have been. About how they could have even been your friends. You wished desperately for a friend right now, or even a hug. You wanted a hug worse than anything. It had been a very long time since your last one.

You drift off to sleep after crying yourself hoarse. You have nightmares about the filly foal taking forever sleepies, and hating you for it. You can still hear the echoes from her screaming “Hate chu, Mummah!”

Hearing that woke you up immediately. You find that you were already crying. You feel good and bad. You know the baby hates you, but she still called you “Mummah” which gave you heart happies, but having heart happies makes your heart hurties even worse. Because the can hasn’t moved at all since you threw it.

But on second look, the baby inside is curled around the nipple to it’s food source, the rapidly depleting nutri-slurry in the can.

Your baby is alive!

YOUR BABY IS ALIVE.

You stop feeling almost anything for a moment. Your tail stops hurting, your throat stops burning. Your eyes stop watering. The synapses in your brain are pumped full of only a single feeling.

You haven’t felt this feeling in a while. And lately it’s only been in bits and pieces, here and there. When a human throws you the nummies they don’t finish, or the really sweet colorful waters they sometimes throw at you. When you thought you were going to be a mummah. When you lived with Mummah Jane.

This feeling is hope. You recognize it instantly.

This is your chance to be a good mummah. This baby is your chance to do it right.

This little filly girl, you’ve decided, is your Chance. You’d give her that name as soon as you got her out of her prison.

You’re sure she will love it.

36 Likes

Mummuh vs Can

0-1

Round 2

Fight!

9 Likes

This is really good, @Axestraddler. I’ve been enjoying this, and I don’t know if I want to cheer for Opal to succeed or the foal to somehow die mercifully. Because if Opal has no milk, then starving to death will not be pleasant :frowning:

2 Likes

I like inspiring a little internal conflict. I’m not sure I really want the reader to root for either Opal or Chance, tbh. This was originally planned to be a short, sort of depressing glimpse into the end of opals and a foal in a cans life, and due to reader response and how much I’m.enjoying writing the series, I’m not really sure I want to continue down that path, tempting as it might be.

2 Likes

The best story length finished. Just because you can dwell on it doesn’t mean you have to. Even if the readers like it, you don’t have to. Take your time, but end it on your own terms :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m so torn here. Opal so desperately want to give the little foal all the love in the world but at the same time how will she even get the foal out of the can? And what injuries did it sustain when thrown to the ground? Can it even survive for much longer outside the can? I do want a good ending for both but… well… we all know that’s not always possible. :pleading_face:

Take your time, @Axestraddler. I’ll be waiting patiently for the next chapter. :heart:

1 Like

She better be careful seems force even for fluffy wont do any good.

Hope that can will open and the foal unharm

2 Likes

I’m curious where this will go. I can see Opal trying and failing to open the can again, maybe repeatedly to tragic results. Or if she gets it open she and Chance live together until something else does them in, or Chance doesn’t view Opal as her mother and possibly hates her for hurting her. Either way I’m not to sure what sort of internal/emotional arc will play out.

2 Likes

I hope this has a happy ending. Opal has been through a lot of heartbreak

2 Likes

Really enjoying this one! You got a real talent for sadbox

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m still working on chapter 5, hoping to have it out shortly.

3 Likes

@Axestraddler excellent work man. Hits right in the feels. Hope to see part 5 soon but only if its convenient for you. Again. Excellent work :clap::+1:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m working on it but it is proving to be a little difficult, hopefully worth the wait though.

1 Like