Weathering the Storm (By: PeppermintParchment)

Back in October, Oculus and I were discussing how most fluffies have the same basic wing pattern, and Oculus mentioned how he would like to see a penguin-based pegasi. I made this as a surprise for him.

I based this fluffy family on emperor penguins, with flippers for wings instead of the typical MLP-like fluffy wings I usually use. The emperor penguin blushes and chest colors were really hard to incorporate, and I still think it looks a little awkward (the gray one actually reminds me of a cockatiel!), but I hope it looks enough like a penguin to pass.
I made them EXTRA fluffy in the chest, to keep themselves and their foals warm. I also imagine the foals would keep white blushes on their cheeks until they reached maturity, much like real emperor penguins!

20 Likes

Like a chest paunch fold the way penguins have the belly one?

1 Like

I actually didn’t consider it that way, I was thinking more like extra fur for extra insulation. But I like your idea more!

1 Like

Lookit all the bloody snow.
How long did all this take you ?

1 Like

Well I tried a new set of brushes on Krita. They were supposed to be soft oils and air brushing. The air brushing worked really well for the sky and the snow,I tried using the oils on the fluffies,but I didn’t really like the look. It was good for making them look fluffy on the body and chest,but the faces (especially the muzzles) look really weird to me with the streakiness of the oil brush. I thought the oil would make them look softer/fuzzier. But by the time I realized I didn’t like it,I was too far in to change it without losing hours of work!
Overall,this took me about seven to eight hours total. I probably could have done it in five if I stuck with my usual brushes for the fluffies.