What artists do you really like?

In so many ways.

4 Likes

SIMP

(just joking, I love you too ;*)

3 Likes

Well I’m liable to melt looking at this, you two are just too sweet.

2 Likes

UH…
H.P. Lovecraft obviously since I ranted about that, Junji Ito, some Early Stephan King stuff, Neil Gaiman Joe Hill, Mortis Ghost, and Alias Conrad Coldwood. Along with several people online but I can’t remember all there names.

accidently put the wrong song by accident. fixed it.

3 Likes

@Somethingcheeky I don’t like the idea of a top three because there’s a lot of musicians, artists and authors across different platforms that I’d be loathe to single one out over another.

Like, I may love Isaac Asimov and grew up with the dude, but I acknowledge that a lot of his work is pulp. Same for Nietzsche (and I’m aware he is a philosopher, but I am citing him here as a writer)

I love Queen, Savage Garden, Prince, and a lot of music from the 80s to early 2000s, but even though I mentioned that three, my absolute favourite song from that period was by another band.

And when it comes to art, it becomes a matter of which circle and what art they did. And I’m not even talking about “classical” painters or big names. Like, when it comes to deviantart - one of my favourite artists was and still is Genzoman.. Speaking as somebody who is still in the MLP community, there’s a lot of MLP fanartists who I admire and follow to this day.

I think the only person who I can cite to be my biggest influence would be Tolkien. But I will admit that even Tolkien was not a perfect writer.

4 Likes

Partial to Pat The Bunny myself, and his project “Ramshackle Glory” was good too.

2 Likes

Props for Beksiński, may I recommend you some work of Francis Bacon? The documentary on his troubled life is a must-watch if you ask me, it’s available on YT. He had a very traumatic, pathological, sexual life which reflects in his art.

Jen Zee, the artist at Supergiant Games. Wonderful style that fluctuates and improves over time. I personally love her work on Pyre the most. Such a vibrant, colorful look

Darren Korb, also from Supergiant Games, the composer of all their games, also works on vocals and voice acting. His music makes up for, like, 80% of the atmosphere of each game he works on. And of course Ashley Barrett, their female singer.

PascalCampion from Deviantart. His artworks capture environment in a way that’s surprisingly full of emotion, like a memory stored on a canvas in the most honest, nostalgic way imaginable

3 Likes

Oh my, something that actually I can comment :'3.

My principal inspiration in art are a guro artist called Suegiro Maruo. He made Midori… and Kaneoya Sachiko too. I love his drawings. And a little bit of retro cartoons like my little pony g1 with saturated colors. Honestly I’m just development my style.

I’m a goth and I like music with dark vibes like
the minimal wave, coldwave, post punk… And dark wave in general. Bands like the cure, depeche mode, joy division, experimental products are my favorite. But I love the Italo disco and new wave too, specially italo disco, that music makes me want to dance. Well, here’s a playlist.

And I really like to read horror goth too and philosophy. Edgar allan poe is my favorite :point_right::point_left:

4 Likes

I like ito junji and Neil Caiman too. I’m in love with The Sandman

2 Likes

+1 for king gizz, good taste:)

Off the top of my head, these are few of my favorite things:

2 Likes

I could also say some old influential artist, like Raphael of Frida Kahlo since they did had an impact on me through their artwork… but I can’t say they were my favorites, since I’m a video game boi, a lot of artist that I love are from the vide game industry, specially fighting games, back in the 90’s fighting games were a showcase of cool artwork and animation, since I grew up in arcades I gobble it all.

Bengus

Kinu Nishimura

3 Likes

I’d never guess you like nietzsche O.o
I’m curious of why you like him

2 Likes

I hope I’m that good one day.

2 Likes

I merely ask for examples of artists you enjoy, not which are your favorite. I couldn’t pick a favorite either so I just listed some that I like.

2 Likes

Ah, you’re right., My bad. I misread the whole thing as “name a top three”

3 Likes

@Armer_Irrer Well, its more of a love/hate relationship, but yes, I will admit to liking to read him from time to time. To explain, I have a background in philosophy (its my Bachelor’s) and Nietzsche was my entry into philosophy, back in what the Americans would call high school. (@Mister-Shitrat would know them as “junior colleges”)

Nietzsche was a name I kept seeing recurring in various media. He was mentioned in Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, in Roddenberry’s Andromeda, and the list goes on, and he’s a name that keeps occuing in any discussion about God. I think that gives you an idea about how I first learnt the name.

Of course, I don’t agree with a lot of Nietzsche’s beliefs and ideals. But thats the point. One of his books had the subtitle of philosophizing “with a hammer”. Nietzsche question a lot about the conventions of society, not just in religion, but even how we come to achieve certain factual knowledge. Thus one can see how Nietzsche came to be an influence on later existential and postmodern philosophies, as Nietzsche himself questioned the limitations of the human ability to know truth, and how even our own morality has imperfect origins.

But of course, when it comes to philosophers, Nietzsche is not the only one. Nietzsche has its critics and contemporaries, and the one critic I am fond of reading is Chesterton, whose book, the Man who was Thursday, I knew from Deus Ex. When it comes to a philosophy that contrasts with Nietzsche, I have a soft spot for someone like Martin Buber. And that’s not even counting the other philosophers in the long, long history of philosophy, including Kant, Locke and Descartes. And I haven’t even gone into the greek stuff - there’s a lot to take away from the differences in the texts between Plato’s work and Aristotle;s.

4 Likes

But back to the discussion on art, or rather, philosophy as art, as this subject was about, one of the first books I read by Nietzsche was Thus Spake Zarathustra, which is a work of art, as its the musing of Nietzsche’s take on the prophet Zoroaster. It isn’t a straight story but, if one reads it as a work of metaphorical fiction, it reads fine.

I mentioned Aristotle and Plato, and I would say that, if anyone wants to get into philosophy - and aside from Descartes, the Greeks have often been cited as a good place to start ( of course, Descartes is alos a great starting point, but that’s another topic) And, related to the discussion of art - the plays on Socrates are really good stories, because they highlight Socrates’s own difficulties as a philosopher, trying to deal with the ignorance and philosophical weakness of his contemporaries, as well as his difference in his most famous Apology. And, his final discussions in the Phaedo was one of my inspirations for the last part of Milk.

Shifting to Aristotle, I kind of see the guy as one of the first scientists, or rather, how we understand science in the modern context. Aristotle wrote one of the first treatise on aesthetics, which is a pretty big deal. I don’t see Aristotle as aperfect - because of course, no person can be perfect, but one can see why Aristotle had a huge influence on later philosophies, even to this day.

4 Likes

Yo fuck Aristotle and Nitcsczxhe :mrshitrat:

2 Likes

Well fuck you chicken man!

8a0

4 Likes

It goes without saying, but Alex Ross is a motherfucking visionary.

kingdom-come

I made a whole offtopic thread about it, but in all seriousness, check out Kingdom Come.

And also Earth X, but thats kind of way too complicated, mainly because of the complex nature of Marvel’s mythology. Also Ross didn’t paint any Marvel story entirely gouache, unlike the effort he puts in for DC.

3 Likes