What's a Hellgremlin? by:Foxhoarder

thanks… whats the difference?

2 Likes

@minenow More like hellgremlins replaced entitled smarties. It started off with just super rare cases of smarty syndrome fluffies to justify abuse, but when it escalated to the point where pretty much every fluffy was a smarty (except the ones being abused by smarties, the term hellgremlin came about to define the defaultly shitty version of fluffies into a separate spinoff of the fandom.

Like I’ve said, I actually liked smarty abuse as much as regular when the idea was still new and rare. But when they started being more common than the regular fluffies it became evident that /b/tards had created an entirely separate fandom around hatred.

4 Likes

ohh so in the hellgremlin verse smarty is the norm?

2 Likes

Think of it this way: If a movie had a black villain, it’s nothing special. But if a movie showed all blacks as an evil horde, that would raise some eyebrows.

ohh so in the hellgremlin verse smarty is the norm?

Pretty much. Hellgremlinists deny it (and hate the term itself), but in a world where about half the fluffies seem to be smarties and the others are just too oppressed to be smarties too, it’s pretty safe to say smarty is a norm there.

3 Likes

AAAARGH!!
WHY DO YOU DO THESE SO GOOD I WISH I COULD JUST KILL THAT HELLENGREMLIN!

1 Like

I finally understand. Thank you Fox Hoarder

4 Likes

the longer hellgremlins are on earth, the stronger they will become

2 Likes

As far back as I can recall, when fluffy pony began on /mlp/ at the beginning of 2012 people were going crazy over defining the creatures are chaotic and unbelievable. Classics such as “Fluffy pony drowns when it hears the word ‘water’” or turning your back on a fluffy pony only for it to have managed to wreak so much destruction in the mere seconds you spent away, guy gets fluffy ponies to put in his pockets to keep his pocket spaghetti from flowing out during awkward stuff, that sort of thing.

That aside, the very first fluffy pony story that I ever read came out of that “big-bang” of content. It was one of the first long-post stories that someone had thrown together which intended to tell a coherent story, this would’ve been March 2012. It involved a guy getting attacked by his fluffy pony after it gives birth, all because of some hyper-tuned maternal instincts or some other bull. Guy tries to figure out what the went wrong and keeps trying to approach his fluffy and her babies, yada yada, and eventually the story ends with his fluffy getting up on a shelf above him and knocking a heavy cage off of it onto his head, which IIRC unambiguously kills him and “The End.” Someone ended up making a sequel story, dunno if it was the original OP or not, but guy basically ended up at surviving and took his revenge on his fluffy and her babies. The date I downloaded that sequel is “March 30, 2012, 6:24:53 PM” per the file properties.

While I checked out of the community on FluffyBooru long before the whole “Hellgremlin” phase happened, I can say that in the very least classic fluffy ponies were capable of being malignant as much as they were of being cute and adorable. Not because of biotechnical programming as has come to be the pervasive canon these days, but because people were using them as a lens with which to view the spectrum of the human condition, as though it were a vastly available commodity that was considered a burden due to its infant-like behavior the belied the true complexity that lay within.

That’s the fluffy pony that I was witness to, and should I ever submit an original fluffy pony story to this website I’ll be going off of that idea of fluffy pony. That they’re basically autistic children capable of very loosely grasping complex ideas and concepts, but wouldn’t necessarily devise them outside of mimicry of behavior or hormonal/neurochemical imbalances that drive them towards aberrant or deviant actions that ultimately results in them repeating said behaviors because they get dopamine highs from them, just like a person would.

If you made it this far than I would like to apologize for this wall of text, and while it’s entirely unwarranted I wanted to give my two cents.

3 Likes

this seems right

I feel like this is what led to the booru ultimately getting deleted. Granted during its later stages of life I came on there to read stories rather than browse through art.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more self-righteous example of “MY HEADCANON IS THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE HEADCANON, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” than what OP is trying to breed in these comments.

6 Likes

Thats is foxhoarder’s pov.

I do think its a good description/understanding for using with the tags we have available. And the more nuanced tagging can be, the better.

1 Like

It is not the existence of hellgremlins that causes problems, but their prevalence. It’s important to remember that some of the best fluffy stories involve what we now call hellgremlins. KMEB’s Goldie was perhaps the most evil fluffy ever, and her story arc was epic. Shadysmarty’s Dashie was right on the line of being a hellgremlin. Santanon had one, I can’t remember the details, but reminiscent of Goldie. Epic stories need epic villains.

But if every fluffy is a villain, these stories lose their impact. The whole reason they stood out is because they were exceptionally rare. The vast majority of the fluffies in those stories were nice, well-intentioned, and generally hapless, unable to deal with the sheer malevolence of the villain. If every fluffy is a psychopath, then who would even notice?

There is something more insidious going on here, though, which Foxhoarder touches on. The pathos and power of OG fluffy stories is the fluffies generally didn’t deserve what happened. Even abuse art was underpinned by this assumption–“good” abuse usually involves humans overreacting to fluffy misdeeds, or even humans being psychopaths. The lack of justification for abuse was part of the point. “Because fuck you, that’s why” was the underlying principle-- abuse was an opportunity to indulge in being evil, without actually being evil.

The trouble began because some abuse artists weren’t comfortable with this, and decided that abuse needed to be justified. In order to do this, they remade fluffies as hellgremlins. Now, to them, abuse wasn’t evil, because the fluffies were the bad guys that deserved whatever they got.

Not only did this weaken the power of abuse stories, it also, paradoxically made the who thing more twisted, because it introduced an element of hypocrisy. These abusers needed all fluffies to be evil, and would unleash vitriol on hugbox, sadbox, and even old style abuse, that dared suggest that fluffies might not deserve abuse.

And here is where Oculus’ observations about drama in the community comes into play; you had this subgroup of abusers whose version of fluffies was fundamentally incompatible with the one held by the rest of the community (even, or perhaps especially, OG abusers). And rather than found their own communities, these hellgremlin supporters tried to take over the fandom. It wasn’t the only source of drama, but it was a big one.

tl;dr the problem isn’t the existence of evil fluffies per se, the problem is the insistence by certain elements of the fandom that ALL fluffies must be evil. Humans were the real hellgremlins all along.

11 Likes

As always, we’re why we can’t have nice things :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

the part with the fluffy projectile shitting at that guy reminds me of the sp episode of stan turning 10 and hating all the cultural things he used to like and the jim carrey movie about penguins just had the penguins be big turds that constantly shat on carrey

1 Like

Although I don’t often show it, assume hellgremlins are generally made, not born.

1 Like

Let people like what they like and ignore it if you’d rather not engage.

2 Likes

I’m inclined to concur.
A spoiled fluffy is highly likely to become insufferable.
Just like humans.

Underrated comment, owl.

1 Like