Wip Fluffy Art Doll Head by ChartreuseShroom

This head gave me so much trouble and I’m not even done lmao.
To start off with, I made another head before this one, but because it was to heavy and the material I had wouldn’t fit a whole fluffy, so I had to scrap it.

The second head I sculpted I really liked so I went along with that, making sure the fabric would fit effectively on the head.

I started painting and flocking the head, before moving on to furring it(the newspaper I used in the pictures ended up having notable information on it so I had to blur it).

Sadly though, when I attached it to the wire body I made, there wasn’t enough fabric to make the body look accurate. If I did continue, it’d look like a chibi and being so small, the heavy clay head couldn’t support the weight. I ended up buying more fabric to make a more proportional body to the head but sadly the fur color is way off, so I will need to repaint and re-fur the head with the correct fur before I can move onto the body. I am currently taking a break from this project from frustration but I plan to move back to it once I get the energy again.

Thanks for reading, here’s a bonus cat pic as consolation <3

32 Likes

That’s amazing and scary at the same time

4 Likes

Thank you! I tried to lean into the uncanny valley look for that extra fluffy weirdness lol

3 Likes

Its a nice design , man the cat bonus as if the cat had devoured ita body already :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Right?
It looks like it’s aware it’s just a head and it’s screaming.

1 Like

it screams for the pain of existence

I loooooove when people do fibercrafts! This looks absolutely amazing!

Only thing i would recommend is adding some highlights and lowlights into the eyes if anything! Adds to the uncanny valley you have going there.

2 Likes

This is looking really awesome! I would suggest using some clear top coat nail polish on the eyes and maybe the tongue too to give them that shiny wet look.

1 Like

That is super cool. What did you use to do that sculpt with? I’ve been toying with the idea of trying out something along those lines but the materials escape me.

1 Like

If you can’t find any fabric the right color, then maybe just go for a “Piebald” look so it isn’t as obvious.

2 Likes

Amazing! Great result, I like it a lot

1 Like

I used craft smart polymer clay. I’d recommend using aluminum foil to bulk out the base of your sculpt because the actual clay when baked becomes very heavy. Another tip I’ve got is using cut up quilt bedding on a wire frame before putting fur fabric over it, much easier then sewing the fabric to the correct shape and stuffing it with normal fluff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow this is amazing! Beautiful work :smiley:

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the advice. I’ve got to make a foray into sculpting one of these days. Never tried but I’m eager to give it a shot.

1 Like

Wow, well done. This stage is actually cursed though

1 Like

Wow! It actually could be a great Halloween decoration with little gimmick. I suggest you to try it out at end of October. Put it on a stake or something.

1 Like