Work of Madmen - Chapter 5 - "Athazagoraphobia" [By Pyrofireflame12]

Athazagoraphobia. The phobia of forgetting someone or something, as well as being forgotten yourself.

Welcome back to Work of Madmen, and here we finally have the fated meeting. Current Berry with Adult Odin. I love writing this story so far, and I hope all of you love it as well. I try to make these chapters as long as possible to make you people happy, and I hope it suits your wants and needs. Without more shit coming out of my mouth, let's get this done.
You're Odin, and despite it being only a day after Lavender's cruel death, it's been good. Scourge met up with the whole herd, and they even accepted him as one of them. Pretzel, however, has been completely different.

No longer the shy, happy foal blind to the primal craving that stalked like like a cat. After killing Lavender with his own razor-sharp teeth and hooves, he became much more confident, and his whole attitude changed. He seems more cocky, more… natural. His smile doesn’t seem forced. He doesn’t start having a spasm every time he’s pissed off. Currently, he’s nibbling on Lavender’s leg bone.

“You’re really letting him keep that?” asks Abul. Abul crashed over last night, but he’s staying for a while. Yesterday was stressful for everyone, so today is a day for decompression and relaxing. Mabel, Abul, and the herd plus Scourge are all relaxing on the couch, watching television. They put on Flufftv mainly due to the fact that most the audience there actually enjoys it. You and Scourge, however, are currently rapidly losing brain cells. Mabel looks at Pretzel, and turns back.

“I think it’s like a trophy for him. Besides, it seems to stave off his bloodlust. Maybe I’ll even keep the rest of her legs as backup.”

“Fucked up. But then again, she deserves it.”

He’s right, but you sit in silence for a while. Until you smell something. Mare, with a smell of feathers as well. Pegasus or Alicorn, you guess. Scourge can smell it too, and he looks at you. It’s coming from the back door, and last night, Mabel set up another mechanism to let you go to the backyard. Y’know, feral invasions, and snacks for Pretzel.

“Hey mom, I’m going outside. Need some fresh air… and a break from whatever the fuck I’m looking at is.” Scourge stays behind, but you shoot him a look that says ‘I’ll call you if I need you’. You walk to the door, unlock it silently, and immediately see a brutal scene. A toughie is beating the hell out of an Alicorn, who’s crying on the floor. This won’t slide. You barrel into the toughie, sending him flying, and gracefully land on your feet. You turn back to the Alicorn.

“Hey, you okay?” She nods, with a look of wonder in her eyes. You look back, and see a large herd all across the yard. Welp, you need backup, and fortunately, you have a cannibal and barbarian at your side.

“SCOURGE! PRETZEL! GET YOUR ASSES OUT HERE NOW!” Faint scrambling and swearing, then the two nearly fall on their ass stopping themselves.

“We’ve got our hands full here. I always said your technique was flawed, maybe I’ll get to show you.”

“Yeah yeah, Pretzel. Guard the mare. You have my permission to eat any fluffy that comes up to hurt her.” Pretzel cackles, and takes a position in front of the mare.

“WHO IS YOUR SMARTY? BRING THEM OUT!”

They part away to form a line for a fluffy. One you thought you would never see again. You stare in disbelief, and so does he.

“You…? You’re the smarty?”

“Smawty babbeh! Bewwy tout yu gu fowebah sweepies fwom munstah!”

“Shut. Up. You have no right to call her that.”

“Bu’… Bewwy wook fowebah fow smawty babbeh! Bewwy gif smawty fowebah sweepies an’ git hewd tu gif munstah fowebah sweepies.”

“Then you are severely fucking mistaken. Because right now, you’ll be killed by me. I hope you put up a decent fight.”

“Hmph. Yu nu am smawty babbeh, am nu weaw smawty babbeh!”

“Tell yourself that all you fucking want. Stay back you two, this is personal.”

Scourge and Pretzel obey, and the fluffies form a ring around you and Berry. If he was able to kill a smarty himself, you doubt that he’s going to be easy. He’s a Unicorn too, so he has an extra weapon. You stretch your legs out, for a quick strafe when he first charges. He runs at you, screaming a war cry. You strafe to the side, and leap onto his back, searching for the sweet spot.

“GU WAY FWOM BEWWY!” You mutter a faint ‘shit’ as he balances on his hind legs, flinging you off, falling on your ass. Damn, he was clever. While still falling back down, you slam into his hind legs, causing him to slip. You raise a hoof to bash his face in, but his hoof meets yours. You struggle against him, his strength only slightly weaker than yours. Before it’s too late, he raises a hoof out of sight due to your missing eye, and hits you in the face.

“FUCK!” You stagger back. At this rate, you’ll lose. Then you have an idea. The horn was a weapon. You stand still, challenging him. He notices, and charges at you. You don’t dodge. You grab his horn with your mouth, and start clenching your jaw.

“OWWIES! WET GU UF HOWN, OW BEWWY WIWW-” A loud, resounding crunch is all you hear, as you snap off his horn. Before he can cry about it, you use your tongue to flick it the right way in your mouth, and dash forwards.

SHUNK!

A gurgling noise is all that comes out of his mouth, as you spear his throat with his own horn. You kick him over, and he stares into your eyes. At the last minute he realizes you were the one he was looking for. Choking on his own blood, you don’t break his gaze. The light fades from his eyes. You look at all the fluffies in the herd. Not a single brown one, not a single one worth being saved. You turn back to Scourge and Pretzel.

“Change of plans. Wipe them out.”

Pretzel doesn’t waste time, hungry from the scent of Berry’s blood. He sinks his teeth into the neck of the nearest fluffy, and tears out his throat, chewing on it while the oxygen exits his body, dying slowly.

“Pfft! Basic move. I’ve got a better one!” Scourge charges at a toughie, and when the toughie moves to attack, Scourge dodges to one side. Instead of going for the neck, he quickly dashes to the Toughies back. Leaping on top of him, he sinks his teeth into where his spine is. Instead of breaking his neck, Scourge shifts his weight to his haunches, flipping the toughie over. Halfway through, the sickening crunch rings out, and Scourge scrambles out from under him before letting the toughie fall on his back, paralyzed.

“That’s how you show off. I’ll make the next quick.”

Once again a nameless fluffy, this time too happy to care. The fluffy, the one you have been seeking out, saved you from the toughie. He called out two other fluffies, and one of them protected you. He held no malice in his eyes, except for the other fluffies. The orange one battled your smarty, shoving his own horn through his throat, and you could only watch as the three killed the herd off until the rest escaped. Afterwards, the black one began to lick blood off of its fluff, as did the orange one. However, the brown one began to chew on the corpses of your herd. He looks familiar, but you didn’t know why.

After cleaning himself, their Smarty walked up to you.

“Hey there. Sorry for the… bad first impression. But I promise we’re good. How about we get you back in there with my herd.” A human cranes his neck out the open door.

“Scourge, where have you been… what the hell happened here.”

The black fluffy, Scourge apparently, walks up. “Feral herd broke in. Apparently their smarty personally knew Odin. Odin shoved his own horn through his throat, and then we killed their herd. And Pretzel got a feast. Oh, and this Alicorn was there. We saved her from these shitheads.”

“Yeah… okay. Just come back inside. I’ll clean up later with Pretzel.”

“Bu’ Pwetzew nu wan gu bak! Su mush nummies…” He whines.

“C’mon, come back in. Acorn’s worried.” That shut him up. The herd walked back into the house, and you trailed after them after a bit of hesitation.

“Odin, can we please stop this streak of you making an absolute mess of my things and house?”

“I said I was sorry about the hair straightener!”

“Fine. Besides, we got an Alicorn here.” A new human crouched down, and smiled. “Hey little girl. You got a name?” You shake your head. “Alright. Come meet the herd! We got food for you too.” You follow them into a room with a couch. A small group is gathered on it, and your heart stops. No wonder you recognized the brown stallion!

“Wingie Pointie fwen!” The old poopie nummer, looking much healthier now, bounds off the couch, with little blobs on her back. You tackle her in a hug. She, along with the other poopie nummer in your herd, were your only friends. You never spoke to them, but they comforted you when you were in pain. You missed them so much, nobody was ever there to help you when Berry was there.

“Am Acown nao! Wook! Haf mowe babbehs nao!” You look on her back, and there were foals! It warmed your heart that she finally got to be a mother again. A good one. Unlike what happened last time, but you’re happy that the foal grew up into the cannibalistic creature he is today. The other poopie nummer came up.

“Dat am Peanut nao! Am bestest speciaw fwen!” She coos while rubbing up against him. It’s adorable.

“So, you three know eachother?” The human mare butts in. “Well then, that’s gre-” A ringing noise sounds out. “Nice. He’s here. He promised me he would have a present.” She talks to the other human.

“I’ll take care of it. You meet the new arrival.” He walks off. After a few seconds, a human walks up. Your eyes widen. The human that saved you! He looks back at you.

“Mabel. Please tell me. How did you end up with the Alicorn I lost?”

“This is the one you lost, Cay? She stumbled into our backyard. Feral herd followed her, Odin, Scourge and Pretzel killed the entire herd, and now we have her here. You want her back?”

“Yeah, I would like that.” Your heartbeat quickens. You don’t want to go! You spent all this time to find him, just to go away again! His hand reaches out to you. You find your voice.

“NO! I DON’T WANT TO GO!”

All of them are stunned. You cower back, and Acorn and Peanut walk up to stand in front of you. An Alicorn you never saw before walks up and nuzzles against you. The smarty speaks up.

“We should have expected this, Scourge. The garden creature did say she was a mare.”

“Yeah. Guess we should’ve.”

“Odin, what the fuck is the garden creature?”

The herd explained why they were so shocked. Turns out, the smarty, who you learned is Odin, was looking for fluffies like you, like Mimir said. They move you into the safe room, where you get to actually meet everyone.

Pretzel, the cannibal fluffy. The son of Acorn, who apparently ate a fluffy that tried to hurt the herd yesterday. His prized bone was a bit unsettling.

Acorn, the healed enfie mare. After the fight with your oldest smarty, she joined the herd permanently, along with Peanut.

Peanut, the new toughie. After the fight, he asserted himself as the toughie of the herd, and became one alongside his adopted son.

Scourge, the fighter fluffy. He and Odin met up a long time ago in fluffy standards, and about a day ago, officially became part of the herd.

Seashell, Odin’s sister. She’s been easygoing since becoming domestic, but she’s been caring for Acorn’s foals when she sleeps.

And finally, Odin. The smarty. He won’t tell you his true origins, but he came from a feral herd and is now the smarty of this new small herd.

The herd leaves you alone, and you don’t mind. You need some rest in a warm, comfy bed.

You’re Odin, and life took a nice change after the fight. The mare was intelligent like you. Filled with memories? Likely not. But you’ve noticed the whole day Pretzels been fidgety and shy, like his old self. Scourge notices this, mumbles something to Peanut, and the two look at you with a shit eating grin. You realize what’s happening. Seashell is talking with the new arrival, who is named Frigg.

You don’t know who that is. Mabel never taught you about Frigg, who was apparently a figure in Norse mythology. Frigg is mostly quiet, but you think she just needs to warm up to the herd and heal from the battle.

Pretzel walks up to Seashell. "H-hewwo Seasheww. Can Seasheww tawkies nao?

Seashell’s head perks up. She looks at Frigg, and Frigg nods at her. She raises herself up, and walks away, Pretzel stumbling back, looking embarrassed. Mabel and Abul come in as well, watching while giggling to themselves. You sit down next to Frigg, who has been a bit clingy with you, but you don’t mind. You’re one of the few fluffies she’s interacted with that didn’t want to kill her.

“Wha’ Pwetzew wan tawkies abou’?” Seashell cocks her head, and Pretzel is chewing his lip. He seems to notice he would likely draw blood, so he stops and stares at her.

“Pwetzew wan be speciaw fwens… wan’ pwotect Seasheww fwom meanie fwuffies wike meanie Bewwy! Meanie Wavendew gif Seasheww owwies, an haf bigges heawt huwties. Pwetzew nu hewp Seasheww…” Seashell looks shocked, but then smiles a bit.

“Nu haf saddies Pwetzew! Seasheww knyo Pwetzew onwy wan pwotect Acown’s tummeh babbehs.” She pulls him into a hug. Pretzel does the same with her.

It’s amazing, after everything she went through. Beaten by her herd, starved by her mother, killing a foal out of mercy, suffering Lavenders harassment, nothing ever stopped her. You’re just happy that she finally has someone that will never give up on her. You turn to Frigg, who’s watching in wonder.

“Told you we weren’t all murderous psychopaths.” She looks conflicted, and stares back at you.

“Why did you risk your life to save me…? I was a part of the herd that hurt Acorn and Peanut. I thought you wouldn’t want me here when I first saw you.”

“So you were there that day? Then why didn’t you come with us?”

“I was hiding… and scared. I didn’t want to see Acorn again. I wanted her to stay free. I only saw you after we started to leave…”

“You don’t have to hide here. We’re all one big family here, even Scourge. He’s a bit like a brother to me. Still a jackass.”

She laughs a bit. You smile at her, and walk over to greet the new couple. But you left with an odd feeling in your chest. It felt like something was missing, and was being filled in. You tried to ignore it, but it kept tugging at you.

"So. When are you telling Odin who Frigg is?

“It was your idea, Abul.”

“Oh come on, look at her! You can clearly see it in her eyes. You can even tell from Odin. Scourge has been in a few team fights with Kipling. I know how to tell a fluffy’s relationship with another just from their movements.”

“Guess so. I’m lucky he isn’t like other fluffies. I don’t want someone who talks like a full grown man walk up to me and tell me his balls hurt.”

“Horrible experience. Scourge told me about it, before the project changed him. When he remembered that, he could barely look me in the eye for a week.”

“Sounds like him.”

“Yeah. Poor guy still has nightmares about it.”

“Abul… that wasn’t me.” You whirl around and meet… something. Three creatures. Bright red, almost plastic fur face you.

“I believe we have much to talk about.”

|Last|First|

6 Likes

Hey everyone, just wanted to make a small announcement. Work of Madmen will be on pause for a while, as I’ll be making a series on the side. It’s going to be about Caiden’s first ever fluffy, and the antics they got into. And also how he struggles around delivering punishments that aren’t cruel torture. See all of you later.

2 Likes

Called it! :grin::grin::wink:

This chapter was great for me. Odin and Frigg. Seashell and Pretzel, and even Mabel and Abul. I love everything about this, even the flair of Berry’s death.

Looking forward for what is next for the gang but am interested in the side series as well.

1 Like