A Potential Reconciliation - H83r Opinion Piece

True. The guy who owns that corporation is the richest man there is.

But he’s got reasons to do this. It’s not just about supplying people with quality products. It’s because this man has realized that the fates of both species are intertwined. The survival of one is the survival of the other. And because he wishes for fluffies to, one day, become equal with humans.

Also, crazy as this may sound, but fluffies have played a role in saving the world more than once in my headcanon. And exterminating all of them would have fucked the world over in the long run.

1 Like

I first came across fluffies waaay back in like 2014-2015 from an Ifunny post depicting abuse and at the time I was an edgy little teen so I ate it up. I did some digging in the comments and found the booru and spend many a fair few hours of my days going through it, looking at images and comments reading stories etc etc… now most of those were abuse oriented but there was always the occasional hugbox or sadbox pieces, but I was there for abuse. Then one day while in the midst of moving to a new house I completely forgot about it. It wasn’t until a few months ago while I was working did I have a sudden flood of memories of that cursed space. After some digging I came across here and read up on what happened to the booru and where things were now. I started reading post once again pertaining to abuse but I started to realize something after making an account, I like reading abuse but I love writing neutral and hugbox. I’ve come to a point where now I can read both hugbox and abuse in equilibrium. I’ll always lean towards abuse because I personally find the people who I at least read from like @BFM101 @TheHauntedTypewriter @Nundevwizer. They all write magnificent abuse focused stories with good structures and amazing attention to detail and that’s why I come back to abuse every time. I love happy endings and because of that I’ve decided to try and write them to some extent, but even then that attention to gore and pain the characters that cause it is mesmerizing. The only difference I have from my edgy teen self to my adult self is I can see the abuse for more than just the act. All in all I love what everyone on this community does, this place has been a well of creativity for me and I love seeing what people make from it, I can’t imagine bickering over a fictional animal when deep down this all came from bronies anyways so if you think about it we’ve all lost.

2 Likes

We stray from god’s lights further everyday.
Though I liek to think that fluffies are so far divorced from MLP that the only thing they got in common is toy horsies.

1 Like

Oh hey, I got mentioned for my work! Didn’t know so many people liked my work.

1 Like

The sad thing is that I see mostly hugboxers complaining about abuse and not so much vice versa. I mean, there are toxic abuse boxers, but the number is skewed in one direction.

Also, there are the fake hugboxers that used the abuse in one of my stories as a reason to say a trans/nonbinary character should kill themselves. To them I give a giant fuck you and I hope a cactus gets inserted into your asshole.

2 Likes

Well, this topic certain blew up.

I might have to do more than one post, because there is a lot of people I’d like to respond to here, but fair enough, I guess it’s fair I should do an introductory post.

Since some people mentioned where they discovered fluffies, I’ll start with that first.

I have mentioned this a bunch of times now but I am from the MLP fandom, specifically the G4 MLP:FiM fandom, and for a good while now. So if we include Mixxermike and Fluffle Puff, I was technically aware of an element of fluffies since back in 2014. Thing was, at the time, I brushed it off as people jumping on the Mixxermike bandwagon, making their own fluffy pony OCs based off Fluffle Puff. Now, without going into too much detail, I knew Mixxermike, and I had a falling out with the guy. (He has his own history of drama). Since Fluffle Puff was considered a “fluffy pony” on derpibooru, I chose to filter out that content.

Then around about the end of 2019 to early 2020, I discovered this comic by Quickhorn. The story intrigued me not only because of how sad it was, but more I wanted to know what happened to Snowball next. Turns out, this was a one-shot by Quickhorn. But what I ended up discovering was much larger and, to put it mildly, shocked me. My initial reaction to most of the content I saw on fluffybooru and the fluffy fandom was one of odium, mainly at the extent and depravity of the abuse. Speaking as a person who has looked after mentally handicapped people, the elderly, and being a person who has had his own difficulties in life, too much of the content felt like knocing down a semi-sentient/semi-sapient being “because” its inadequate.

I would have turned my back on my discovery, and attempted to forgot what I had come across, had it not been for the story of one specific green foal. That story remains to be one of my favourites and inspiration, as it had a character I empathized with. It was from there that I discovered the greater genre of hugbox, and found that there were and still ARE artists who love and fluffies for the way are, flaws and all, and didn’t see them as stress relief or as something to mock.

So I took the time. I went to search out as much hugbox as I could, seeking out the lighter works of Carpdime, as well aas Waggytail, Gowdie and Coalheart. But then I came to realize that were was a deeper, much larger world to fluffies that extended all the way to 2012, and that the ties of the fluffy fandom to the then-blossoming MLP:FiM fandom were larger than I thought. It became an interesting subject of research, because fluffies was one of those things that was created as an AU, but then took on a life of its own.

It is true that I do identify myself as a hugboxer (a reason why I adopt the title and icon), but I do have an appreciation for wierdbox ideas, as well as neutralbox. I do see sadbox as very critical to hugbox, but I don’t go to the other end of enjoying sadbox purely as I feel that life isn’t all thorns just as much as isn’t all roses. I am known for my criticisms of abusex, but I believe that the fluffy community, and with it, the genre as whole should not see itself as niche content. See, and the thing about fluffies is that, in its attempt to try and distance itself from its MLP origins, the fluffy pony fandom has ended up creating content and designs that, if considered independent of MLP, are wholly original and unique unto itself.

And if this community could be kept going, there is a lot of potential in this genre. What do I mean by this? A common thought I had come across is that people saying “fluffies should be dark/abused, and that the lighter content can be obtained from something like MLP and so-on”. Here’s the thing - end of the day, MLP, Care Bears, Smurfs and what have you are all corporate products. The reason why they have a mandated canon is because the canon is ultimately designed by higher ups within a corporation. Any fan activity and fan participation you see in such a community is limited, and will not have a greater influence on the main or even hivecanon. But fluffies, as an original concept, is free of this. And I think there is a potential in that.

As bio-engineered organisms that are the product of corporate influence, fluffies remind me of the replicant of Blade Runner or, perhaps more fittingly, the movie Okja. And I think there’s a lot of potential in that. I think there is also a potential in the concept of fluffspeak alone, a reason why I wrote an entire story reflecting on fluffspeak as a unique language. I think there is a lot of potential in fluffies as a form of speculative fiction, and I think that, if taken further, it could lead to some really interesting and good content.

But I do feel that people need to be nicer to each other, or at least have some more decorum. The booru was lacking that, and I remain of the opinion that, over time, the booru’s over-emphasis on abuse as well as vitriol is what I saw the departure of its main creatives, and with it, its mods and eventually its admin.

And this where I see another important role for hugbox. Because to me, hugbox isn’t just about fluffies being cute and doing cute things. It isn’t just about how the lives of fluffies can fare better. To me, hugbox also looks into how fluffies can better benefit the lives of others, whether sits among themselves, or even their human companion race. Yes, a lot of canons have explored fluffies as a nuisance or a pest, but it doesn’t apply to everybody. It doesn’t have to be entirely that way.

Taking it further, I am of the conviction that hugbox is also a way of expressing appreciation and tribute for different creatives within a community. But that appreciation should not only extend to the art and talent of the creative, but also their fluffies. Because ultimately, we are a fluffy fandom, and the focus should be on fluffies. Some may disagree with me on this, but I do see a value to fluffies, even if they have no value within the world of their setting. I have a list of my favourite fluffies, and that is because some people have put in the effort to defining and developing their fluffy characters. I think that is needed, if we’re going to avoid losing talent, or losing focus.

5 Likes

You say this as if this isn’t something that are invented for abuse stories as an added reason to abuse fluffies

1 Like

I am just here for the suffering of fluffies.
Be it through their own hand (moronbox), through human hand (abuse) or through nature and bad circumstances (sadbox).

Before anyone mentions it, no it is not ‘cute aggression’.
Believe you me, I have looked at all kinds of gore and even if I seem to have a strong stomach, most stuff made me feel some kind of empathy, including cute things.
The sole exception so far: fluffies

I even ignore most comment sections when I see the same people letting their autism rage on how “vAlUabLe” a shitrat, or how “thIS onE’s diFfeRent” is. On a fucking abuse post no less. Engaging with that juvenile and/or mentally questionable behavior is simply not the kind of experience I come here for.

Works for me. I have “hugbox” filtered and I am perfectly happy with this. If that were not the case, I might get a serious urge to sperg out with some edgy abuse fantasies under hugbox posts, too. But luckily for everyone, I know to work with tags and set up filters. But seeing time and time again that hugboxers cannot keep their drivel in the same way abusers seem to post under hugbox (from what I hear, at least), then what’s the point?

I would advocate for some ideas myself:

1. Officialize the reddit rule of “no hugbox style comments under abuse posts and vice versa”
    That shit just gets annoying. I know the feeling of inspiration when it hits you, but there are just better places to evaluate some abuser’s economical situation through their disregard for fluffy worth. There is no shame in not ‘getting’ a box either, heck, I wouldn’t even say I truly ‘get’ hugbox myself. Instead post that in Shitposting/Personal category (you also have to join the group) and give it the shit-edit tag.
  2. Encourage the use of filters and tags
    Tags are super useful. Be practical. See what you want to see and block 90% of what you hate. I have “hugbox” muted and I am happy with this. Even when the occasional cutesy picture without gory payoff stumbles into my feed, I don’t have to get mad since most of that “crap” (from my point of view) gets filtered well enough.
5 Likes

Howdy!

I’m a hugboxer for the most part. I really like hugbox stuff. I think I make a fair bit of it. BUT, I would say my best stuff as a creator and the stuff I like to read the most is more likely to be neutral with wanderings into the other styles. The further I deviate from that the more I want it to have a point, to be saying something, or to be particularly well done.

For instance, I quite like the works of @Stwumpo, @anon68543914, @BFM101, @OtherCoraline, and many others but they’re not hugbox centric folks. But they do excellent work, often have more to say than simply doing X for the sake of X. And I think that’s very, very important. Certainly, OtherCaroline is the one who sets my standard for hugbox: I try not to produce anything “cheap” (or at least not often) and by all means no “glurge.”

I’ll admit: I’m one of the 40-somethings around here, and come from a conservative/evangelical Christian background (hell, I’ve helped with the launching of two churches: one in the South and one here in Hawai’i). I’m pretty sure that informs some of my tastes and preferences here. But, unlike a lot of folks, I think I’ve had a pretty easy (albeit not especially noteworthy) life. Some of my favorite content is slice-of-life so I can see the reflection there.

I got here from The Click. There was a while earlier this year when I was a lot more bored and The Click filled a spot for a while. When he covered fluffies it was sort of a train-wreck; I couldn’t stop watching, and eventually remembered I had an account at Reddit. Went back, and there were MANY nights of just going through fluffy stuff wondering what the hell was wrong with me. I had to go through tons of abuse to find the stuff I liked. It was a weird feeling for sure.

But the stories from folks did better by me than the art did. Stwumpo became a favorite once I figured out they were going somewhere at times. Not always, but often. Fluffies as stand-ins for humans spoke to me.

Artwise, @Carpdime hooked me enough to stay during the shock phase, which is great because I’ve gotten to appreciate and talk with folks like @infraredturbine, @FallenAngel007, @Jedan, @Beast and more. But more than that, it helped me get back into art, drawing, etc., which I had given up for almost 20 years at that point. So far that I think I’ll be grateful to the fluffy community for quite some time.

Coming from the fighting game community (egad, that was a long time ago), I’m used to trying to get along with folks, having fun, and keeping myself out of drama. So I try not to get involved in arguments I get mad in, I push folks to use tags because that helps me (and others) to see/not to see things, and generally try to be encouraging as I can. I do fail at that. But if nothing else, sometimes I will post at least “well done” or “great work” even if I don’t like the topic matter.

@Dragonixa is the greatest artist here that I’ve seen so far but I will never see most of her work. She’s too damn good and squicks me out every time. Would TOTALLY buy her a coffee or whatever if we ever met, and if she taught classes or made a newsletter for art I’d be the first to sign up for more info. If you’ve not seen her and like horror? Go check her out now. Now now now now.

So, let’s all show we’re adults, and good ones at that. Lets be nice and kind and not get into stupid arguments please.

13 Likes

The most vital goal needs to be avoiding toxicity in the environment, and while I’m totally on board with “don’t like it, don’t look,” I’m unwilling to abide by rules which use that to shut down critical discussion. I think there needs to be a wide understanding that art can have a lot of different impacts on a lot of different people, regardless of intent.

The lack of intent to harm does not guarantee that harm will not be done, and it is not evidence that something isn’t saying something bigoted. If I write a story where there’s a new variety of fluffies with bulbous snouts and devious personalities who hoard wealth and try to control things from the shadows while sacrificing foals, and someone says “hey isn’t that just a carbon copy of a bunch of ludicrous shit people have said about Jews” it doesn’t really matter if I say “no it’s a different thing.” It’s not gonna read that way, and if I’m engaging with those tropes out of ignorance of their origin that ought to make me feel a certain type of way about the matter. If I don’t consider myself anti-semitic, shouldn’t it alarm me when I’m using their symbolism and tropes unironically?

TO BE CLEAR

I’m not accusing anyone here of Antisemitism. I picked it for two reasons: 1) it’s a specific form of bigotry I’ve seen very little of here and 2) the tropes of it are tragically pretty widely known across the parts of the map we’re all from so the comparison would land. Nobody go thinking I’m saying this about you, buncha clouds in my coffee motherfuckers. Suck my whole dick u buncha fucking snowflake loser dorks. 3=====D~~~ those are lasers pew pew pew

4 Likes

Maybe a challenge for folks: if you ARE looking at something you don’t like (ie, “the other box”), write one nice thing you appreciate about it even if you hate the subject matter. The writing, the art, the story-telling, the pacing, whatever.

“This isn’t my cup of tea but your dialog is really good.”

“I don’t like this sort of stuff but your coloring was well done.”

“I normally prefer XYZ, but the way you paced everything was great.”

No backhanded compiments or anything. Just find something to appreciate and articulate it.

4 Likes

I try to do this. I’m shitty at it, but I honestly do try.

3 Likes

You’re my kind of shitty.

3 Likes

I thought you were writing about goblins until you mentioned the Jewish.

Six million goblins.

4 Likes

Hey don’t look at me, look at those Harry Potter movies.

3 Likes

Remember when Rowling made a Jewish wizard with the most stereotypical Jewish name and then defended Israel bombing the shit out of Palestine.

That’s some goofy shit bb

3 Likes

Remember when she spent decades cultivating a fanbase that very clearly believed in certain ideals and then suddenly she was like “well time to alienate all of them right as all the bad reviews on my new stuff come in.” She’s not very good at what she does.

2 Likes

What if I don’t like the fluffies in a story, but I really appreciate other reinforcing details and world building.

IE I really like Puffy Griffins and I am going to draw one doing something funny.

1 Like

She was never good at what she did and she should really give her success to the dumb impressionable cunt jews (read: goblins) that make their parents buy anything about a main character more bland than celery.

Something something fluffy metaphor for spaghetti.

The sad part is that there are adults who make this shit their personality too. Harry Potter, not fluffies.

Something something metaphor.

2 Likes

Harry Potter: The favourite novel of your most obnoxious friend.

3 Likes