Abandoned Angel Part 25 [author:SpaghettiDave] [id:17819]

Abandoned Angel

Part 25: Our Work Is Never Over

Robert leaned back in his office chair. He had plenty of work to do, yet couldn’t focus. Mary had revealed a bit more of just how crazy she was. Not just crazy for him, but the crazy that gets you locked up. His eyes glazed over with the “Thousand-Mile stare.” The look when someone is so lost in thought, or too drunk and oblivious to the real world.

“Knock, knock.” Erin poked her head in. She worked on the same floor as Robert, but a different department. Erin was probably his favorite person in the building, next to his boss, Dave. “Working hard or hardly working?”

“Yes. I’m just so distracted. The meeting coming up. Angel and the fluffies. Mary. It’s just, kinda, overwhelming if I think about it too much.” Robert sighed and sat up.

Erin sat down across from Robert. “You’ve gotta prioritize and organize. Fix what you can, ditch what you can’t. Work will sort itself out. The fluffies, well, just be the best daddy you can and they’ll love you back. As for Mary, well, bitches be crazy.” She noticed the new picture frame on his desk, “Oh, when did you take this?”

“This morning.” It was a picture of Angel laying down with Bright, Brave and Robin laying across her, all four looking happy as can be. “I took it before I came in this morning. Angel looks pretty happy even if she had spent the night in the sorry box.”

Erin shuddered, she knew about fluffies but never owned one, and knew just what a sorry box was for. “She okay?”

“Yeah, she got really mouthy and wouldn’t listen to me.” Robert looked tired. He was tired. “They’re wonderful and all, but it’s like having four children in the house that are perpetually toddlers. I’m sure once they get a bit older they’ll mellow out and things will get easier.”

She nodded in agreement. “So, what’re you gonna do about Mary?”

“Run. She knew about you and Susan visiting. I didn’t tell her a thing, I even kept incommunicado that whole weekend.”

“You need to ditch her. As fast as possible.”

“I know, I know. But I have to do it carefully, I have no idea what she’ll do.” Robert sighed. He finally got a woman to fall for him and she turned out to be… What? Psychotic? Probably. Violent? Towards him, not yet, towards fluffies, definitely. Clingy? Was there another word for stalker? Possibly, but he never, knowingly, associated or read up on such things. Dangerous? Definitely.

“Well, I’m always here for you. Don’t forget to give Susan a call, she wants an update on your new family.” Erin smiled, changing the subject to something a bit more friendly.

“Knock knock.” Dave, Robert’s boss, walked in. Yet another person that instead of actually knocking preferred to say “knock knock” and barge without a “Yes, I am free, please come into my fancy little office.”

“Robert, half hour. Be prepared. Big changes are afoot. Hell, if things go well, you may get a corner office!” Dave was always quick to look on the positive side. He was a decent boss, supportive yet disciplined and demanding. He expected the best, and Robert did not want to disappoint.

Big changes indeed. Dave’s division was sold off to a separate company. Dave was promoted and moving to the west coast office of the new company. Both were pleased, as Dave knew Robert could handle the responsibility. Robert, however, haggled as if his life depended on it and managed a hefty raise, severance package from the current company, signing bonus from the new company, and even a month off, paid, before returning for the new company.

Robert smiled as he cleaned out his desk. He was going to even get Dave’s office, the big fancy one in the corner. Erin didn’t even knock, or vocally knock as she entered. “I heard the good news, congrats!”

“Thanks! And in a little over a month I’ll be back, two doors down from here.” Maybe things would work out.

Erin held the picture of his fluffies in her hands. “Going to have a celebration and going away soon to return party?”

Robert kept packing, “Probably. I’m sure most everyone will end up at the bar on Friday. Going to join us?”

“Probably. Hey, think I could come over and play with the fluffies one day? They’re so cute.” Erin smiled, fixated on the picture.

“Definitely. We’ll set something up.” More small office pleasantries were shared, Erin keeping him company until he finished packing. Robert had been stuck at the office for only an extra hour, but by the time he made it home he was exhausted yet ecstatic. Three more work days until his month long vacation.

Before his shoes even came off, Mary had sent him a text. –Saw the boxes. Got fired, huh?-

His joy-filled afternoon came crashing about him. Mary had to have been watching his car, waiting for him to leave work. A cold chill went down his spine. –Yeah, Friday is my last day.-

-Then you’ll have even more time to spend with me!-

As much as he wanted to just break things off now, he wondered just how safe he would be at home. –How about we go out and get coffee on Saturday?-

-It’s a date! Love you!- Ugh, he thought. Robert was relieved that settled the situation for a few days. He would break it off on Saturday. Definitely. And in public, which he hoped would keep her in check. Robert quickly changed and prepared the evening meal for his fluffies.

Angel and Brave were curled up together on the bed while Robin and Bright chased each other around the safe room. “Daddeh!” Brave called out, before he even opened the door.

“I’m home!” Robert announced as he entered. All four fluffies charged him, tackling his legs with their tiny bodies. A loud chorus of “wub daddeh!” floated through the air. “Angel, help Bright and Robin put away the blocks, then it’s dinner time.”

Angel paused for a moment, then ran to the nearest block, “Angel gud fwuffy, puh way aww bwoks!” She grabbed one in her mouth and ran for the box. Robin joined in. Bright, suspecting it to be another new game joined in with great enthusiasm. The three lined up, waiting patiently for their dinner, for words of praise. Brave remained on the bed, waiting as well.

“Very good, you’re all so very good fluffies!” Robert set the two bowls allowing them all dinner. He sat himself on the floor, his back against the door. It was oddly soothing to watch them socialize. Angel and Robin, both Pegasus types, fluttered their wings as they ate. Bright hummed to himself, well, Robert assumed it was meant for himself, hummed very loudly as he ate. Brave was quiet in regards to nearly everything he did. It intrigued Robert, that the mute fluffy made more noise than the blind fluffy.

Robert’s stomach growled. Loud enough to scare his fluffy family. looked about and whispered, “munsta?” Brave’s ears twitched and he trotted over to his daddeh.

“What’s up, Brave?” Robert ran his fingers through Brave’s pink mane.

Brave dropped a large piece of fruit on the floor at Robert’s feet. “Nummies fo daddeh. Nu hab tummy owies.”

<<Prev | >First< | Next>>

27 Likes

Thanks to @pillows for reuploading

1 Like

He hears all but sees nothing

3 Likes