Bad Baby by Chikahiro

Your weekend morning routine was coffee, scrolling aimlessly through social media, and enjoying the cool morning air out on the patio deck. One of your neighbors was jogging on the sidewalk along your fence, cars were just starting to populate the streets, birds songs above and chirping below.

Chirping below?

Mug set down, you hang over the side to look. Under the deck is a green mare with a small brood surrounding her. She whispers softly to them, too quiet for you to hear, but the soft nuzzling she gives them speaks volumes. Somehow she found her way there and had given birth.

Quietly you set yourself down on the grass, turning the phone’s flashlight on. The mare visibly “eeeps” and freezes.

“Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you,” comes out as you examine the scene. Four bits of fluff surround her; blue, green, red, and yellow. They must’ve just nursed and are settling down for a rest around their mother.

“Would you like to be somewhere warmer?”

She nods.

You go up the side of the deck, getting a large cardboard box from the discount grocery store from inside the kitchen. Last night was shopping night and you hadn’t thrown it away yet. Remnants of the Sunday paper get tossed in as liner, and you make your way back down to the new mother. The box is sturdy, with low walls and built-in handles, previously serving to hold plastic cartons of fruit.

“Come on in here, girl,” you say, patting the inside of the box. “Bring your babies.”

One, two, three, four she brings them. You’re about ready to take them up until you hear a faint “peep” off to the side.

A little brown foal.

You frown. You’ve read online how some fluffies have very strong color preferences, with certain colors deemed “poop” or something like that. Gently, your scoop the tiny creature up and put it in the box with the rest.

“Nuuu,” you barely hear. “Dat am bad babbeh.”

The mother looks at you, then points to the brown foal.

“No, its a good baby. I like its color. This one is my favorite. Bestest.”

“Nuuu.”

“I have food and a warm house for you and your babies. And I can be your daddy,” you say before pointing to the brown one. “But only if this one comes too.”

She looks at you surprised, then sadly turns away.

“Otay,” she sniffs.

“Dummeh daddeh.”

Blue and green colts. Red, yellow, and brown fillies. They’re all fairly small, the brown one especially. The mother sits on your garage floor in a make-shift pen with a small space heater aimed at the lot. Old weight-lifting floor mats covered with towels aren’t the nicest, but its better than cold cement. The mare coos silently, singing a mama-song that perhaps only she can hear. While she drank well, water didn’t seem to help the fluff’s voice any. But she was visibly appreciative of the food you gave her - oatmeal with fruit - eating it slowly but surely.

The foals all gathered around, awake again, trying to get milk from her two teats. Each gets fed as they come to her, she doesn’t seem to have favorites. But, sadly, the brown one can’t quite muster the strength to wiggle her way to mama. Picking her up by the scruff of her neck, you help the little one up to the rest.

“Nuuu,” again. “Dat am bad babbeh.”

“Its a good baby,” you reply. This fluff’s lack of a voice is a little disconcerting. Maybe its a birth defect? Or an abuser got to her? Perhaps she was sick at some point?

“Nu am gud babbeh,” she replies, eyes looking deeply into yours. The green mare is visibly upset which gets you a little annoyed as well. Recalling an article you saw on Facebook, two unfed foals are cradled into your hands.

“Feed the brown baby, then I’ll let these two have milkies.”

An open-eyed gasp escapes the fluff’s face. The two of you look at each other for a moment, assessing the situation. You know you’ve won when she scoops up the little brown foal, bringing it to her teat.

“Drink up, sweetie,” you say, a little triumphant. “Daddy loves you.”

“Huu huu huu,” is almost heard while milk dribbles out the side of the now nursing foal’s mouth. You tune her complaints out while you watch.

“Meanie daddeh,” she cries to herself.

Monday morning arrives, and you were able to get an early morning vet’s appointment to get the fluffies checked out. Even over the weekend the foals put on a fair bit of weight. Except for the little brown filly who you’ve named Cookie. She put on a little weight, but is still scrawny compared to the rest. It peeps and chirps and cheeps all the time, clearly crying for its mother’s love.

You named the green mare Apple, and she practically rejected Cookie all weekend. You had to blackmail her with the other foals to let Cookie feed. She would cry, watching her brown baby drinking, milk always dribbling down the side of its mouth. Do fluffies hate the brown ones that much?

Dr. Mulligan looks the mare over, remarking she seems to be in good health for a feral. Her lack of a voice is, from what he can tell, a birth defect. No signs of sickness, no indications of abuse.

“To be quite honest, you’ve got yourself quite a nice fluffy there.”

The foals get examined. Its a bit early to bring them in for shots, but he gives them a once over each. A nurse fluff keeps watch over the ones awaiting examination, but holds Cookie the closest to her, almost cradling the little fluff.

Hopefully Apple would learn from this.

Mulligan gives the stamp of approval on Blueberry, Basil, Pepper, and Lemon. But when he goes for Cookie? The nurse fluff doesn’t want to let her go.

“Come on McCoy, please let me have the baby.”

“Nu nee, doctaw,” the fluff says. “Babbeh no nee doctow.”

“Well, McCoy,” you reply. “You’re not a doctor so I don’t think you should be saying that.”

Dr. Mulligan looks at McCoy, then Cookie, then back to McCoy.

“I want to see the baby, McCoy. Thank you.”

The nurse fluff relents, handing Cookie to the awaiting veterinarian. A practiced hand runs down the fluff’s body, gently stroking her back, legs, head and jaw. Cookie coughs a little before resuming her peeping.

“Her mother won’t feed her willingly,” you volunteer. “I don’t know why fluffies hate the brown babies so much.”

He puts a finger to his lips, looking at you. Reaching around his neck, the doctor brings his stethoscope to Cookie’s chest, the cold metal instrument barely raising and lowering with her. A pause, then he turns to Apple, leaning in closely.

“Is this a poopy baby?”

She whispers something to him.

He nods.

“Told you, doctor.”

“She said ‘no,’ actually.”

“Excuse me?” You ask, face turned with confusion.

“She said its a bad baby.”

“Right. A poopy baby.”

Dr. Mulligan rubs his temples. “No, they’re not the same thing.”

“My research on the internet disagrees.”

He looks at you, mad at first, but his expression softens as Cookie begins chirping loudly.

“Did your research tell you want a runt is?”

“A run…? Well, yeah, I guess.”

“Well, Cookie here is definitely the runt of the litter. But that’s not what makes her a bad baby.”

He hands you his stethoscope, placing the metal head against her. You hear her breath, short and shallow with a near wheeze to it. There is silence as he puts Blueberry up against the head. The colt foal breathes in long and deep, with a soft cooing audible as he snuggles in Mulligan’s hand.

“Now, I want you to feel along his jaw with your thumb. Then his legs.Gently.”

You oblige. His jaw feels smooth to the touch, his legs short but straight.

“Cookie’s turn.”

The brown foal’s jawline feels strange compared to her brother’s. The lower jaw ends sooner than it should in comparison. When you get to her legs the foal cheeps sharply. They’re bowed.

“I’m sorry to tell you, but Cookie seems to have some serious birth defects,” Dr. Mulligan sighed. “To be honest, I’m surprise she even lasted this long.”

“Well, is there anything I can give her to help?” you say, feeling your stomach plunge. “Some medicine, special diet, anything like that?”

Apple starts stamping her hooves against the table when you say that. The vet leans over, listening to fluff as she tears up in front of you.

“Uh huh.”

Apple points to you, saying more.

“Well, she says she tried to tell you Cookie was a bad baby. And you wouldn’t listen,” he said, speaking for the mare. “So she wants you to put Cookie to sleep.”

Apple wouldn’t look at you.

“Okay doctor. I’d rather not, but what do you think?”

“I think she’s right. Her cheeping like that isn’t normal for a foal at any age. She’s in pain. Its really the only humane thing to do. Cookie isn’t going to get any better.”

You wince at that.

“Okay, uhm… do you charge for euthanasia?”

“Well, there is a nominal fee of course. But, I don’t think you heard what she said,” Mulligan said, looking at Apple. “She wants you to do it.”

“Wait, what? Why me? You’re the doctor!”

Apple stomped harder this time, her face screaming what she couldn’t.

“Apple said wants you to feel the same pain you’ve made her go through. You keep saying you love Cookie but wouldn’t let her die. Apple couldn’t bring herself to stomp Cookie to death herself, but you kept her alive. Suffering.”

You blink.

“So, Apple wants you to have hurt like she did watching her baby suffer like that.”

You hold Cookie in your hand, staring at the peeping brown fluff. Tossing, turning, never quite in a good spot to just rest. As your gut wretches, you take one more look at Apple, her eyes a mixture of anger and sadness.

You take a deep breath in and…

(made it this far! Cool! I am looking for feedback and would appreciate any you might have! I don’t do sadbox very often!)

50 Likes

Cookie must live. If only to spite the world.

4 Likes

This is bit sad for cookie.

I understand most birth defects have issues and some would just let them “go” to end their suffering. And its bout survival.

I would even wonder why the doctor have to hear what apple say than just tell the guy straightly bout the problem at hand.

9 Likes

For the first time in my shot career here I saw something unusual. The “poopie babbeh” trope is not due to a bitch mother. It’s not random. And the mother herself seems in great pain, she apparently knew her baby would never make it. If only she could have explained it better to the man.

Great sadbox. No BS laws, no random cruelty. Only the sadness of fate. It subverts all the expectations.

Well done.

20 Likes

save Cookie, the pain he will go through watching her either live a life of pain and rejection or die anyway after a while would be far greater than the pain from snapping her neck now.

2 Likes

Ok thats a Red Flag and Stricke one in one go.

6 Likes

Nice Story, Love the idea that it is just Natur and The Fluffy Mother could not do it.
But i stay true to my first commend and even say stricke two she is devinitly abel to tell the dock whats going on so she could have tellt her new owner in a quiet moment why she wanted to abenden cockie. Than he could still go to a vet with her for confermation. Instat she is demanding that he should kill her baby so she can have a clear conscience. So i say Stricke two.

3 Likes

From Discord, It’s A nice story, I Like the Second-person like Perspective.

2 Likes

I am thinking that Apple isn’t exactly telling the doctor much more than what she told the guy. Only the vet actually interpreted the meaning of “it’s a bad baby” correctly, unlike the dude, who has only read about it and has mistakenly took that for “it’s a poopy baby”. He never asked the reason why it was bad. He simply assumed it was due to the colour. The mare likely knew that her poor baby had birth defects, but couldn’t exactly express it in layman terms due to fluffy vocabulary being rather simplistic.

I don’t hold it against the dude, but you shouldn’t blame Apple for being angry. I mean, she was literally forced to prolong her own child’s suffering. She couldn’t even let her expire outside to at least make it “away from the eyes, out of the heart/out of sight out of mind”. She had to continuously hear her pained peeps, which the human couldn’t guess were out of pain, thinking they were out of hunger and need for love.

The poor thing didn’t have the heart to kill her foal herself. Can you blame her for that?

You seem under the impression Apple should only be grateful for being adopted and never question her owner’s actions. But that’s extremely unfair. Surely you have argued in the past with your parents, the ones who (usually, hope yours wasn’t a different situation) gave you everything.

7 Likes

AMAZING. Ok, this is so well done. Kudos to you Chikahiro. This was a mindfuck and I suspected it but the obliviousness of the owner saying “My research on the internet disagrees” clinched it.

7 Likes

did you miss the part where its jaw is misshapen and its legs are fucked and its constantly in pain? its not gonna be in comfort, its gonna be in hell.

4 Likes

i have been outdone

3 Likes

Did the twist at the end get you? Thought this was the usual poopeh babbeh story?

2 Likes

“My research, amounting to scrolling on the internet for a few hours, trumps your medical studies!”

• Said no smart person ever.
4 Likes

Yes, indeed. Even your stories about subverting the expectations have been subverted! Dragon Ball suspense music

2 Likes

I shall have to subvert them even farther. I shall have to subvert even MY OWN EXPECTATIONS

2 Likes

:whaaa: But… THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE! How can his level of subversion be this high?

3 Likes

I’m really appreciating the feedback everyone! Thank you! I’ll be pondering all of it as I would like to get better in my execution.

6 Likes

if i was forced to keep my child whos in constant agony and will never experience any form of joy alive because some guy just thought i was being racist, id want him to know that pain as well.

5 Likes

So, really quick:

I’ve had discussions her with folks regarding someone being a hugboxer because they have the fluffy’s welfare in mind versus hugboxing for more selfish, self-centered reasons. This piece tries touching on that.

I’ve got women I’m friends with who say things but aren’t listened to. Employers, family, DOCTORS, etc. I tried touching on that too. But when they can get a man to say it for them things get listened too.

This was a hard piece and while I’m generally happy with it? It was a little outside my reach and I clearly stumbled a bit. The feedback you folks are giving is gold :heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: especially since it’s helping me see where I went wrong or could’ve communicated better!

8 Likes