Biotoy Rights In My Headcanon (by Pushka)

Fluffies and other biotoys do not have the same rights as real animals.
While animal abuse is a felony, biotoy abuse is not a crime if done in private to one owned by oneself.

Additonally, while animal testing, sport hunting, and large-scale farming of real animals have been outlawed, all these practices are legal when it comes to biotoys (particularly fluffies, as they are the most common).
Though plant-based meat and lab-grown meat are more popular, there is still a sizable market of fluffy-derived meat. (And it’s the same with other formerly animal-derived products.)
And many types of fluffy-hunting are legal as long as they’re done in a controlled environment away from any natural habitats.
Fluffies are seen as the perfect test subjects for all kinds of products, especially when human volunteers aren’t available.

Biotoys do have a small set of rights in more “hugboxy” places, however.
In these places, cruel practices such as pillowing and milkbagging are illegal, and fluffy farms must adhere to minimum space requirements as well as keep the fluffies healthy to ensure the quality of the products produced from them.
Additonally, people naturally tend to shy away from abusing more expensive biotoys like Hatchimals and Pleos, and their comparative scarcity makes them unideal for any sort of large-scale operations. Fluffies being more common and less expensive thus makes them more expendable.

7 Likes

Is this a debate post, or just a lore dump for a single headcanon? I need to know before I post anything about my canon’s version of this topic.

Just a lore dump for my headcanon. I didn’t know whether to put it here or in Text Posts.

What’s your headcanon’s tske on feral abuse? Would it be seen as illegal or pest control, etc?

2 Likes

Just pest control as long as it’s not done where young children can see it. The punishment for doing that would just be a fine, though.

2 Likes

Okay and im guessing in your HC home owners or even fluffy owners are within a right to abuse home or garden invading fluffies even if they pose a threat to pets or the owner’s fluffy?

2 Likes

Yes they are. In fact, an exemption to the in front of children law is allowed if a homeowner must exterminate fluffies to defend their pets and/or property.
Pet fluffies (and other pet biotoys) are not granted the same rights as normal pets, but they are still subject to property rights.

This also means that, although it’s illegal to kill an animal to save a fluffy even if the fluffy is yours, it’s 100% legal to kill a fluffy to save an animal (usually from sorry poopies and the like, since fluffies can’t cause serious harm to real animals) even if the fluffy is owned by someone.

3 Likes

Well thats a relief cuz I blacked out after a smarty attempted to harm my mare fluffy. Now i ended up with this shaved bald fluffy with needle pricks on various parts of its body seemingly damaging nerves and its eyes closed and only chirps like it was forcibly regressed into a large chirpie newborn.

2 Likes

Extra Note: Litterpals and enfiepals don’t exist at all in my headcanon (in either of my timelines) because they just gross me out.
Some abusers definitely use similar practices as torture methods, but there are no stores or breeders selling anything like that even in places where pillowing is legal because it’s just not profitable (especially in the case of litterpals because they’re flat-out impractical for anything but torture).

2 Likes

My only doubt is what the foundations of the hugboxy laws are, they are based on the fact that you already clarified that they do not have animal rights and since they are fixed toys, the personalization of these should be allowed

1 Like

That makes sense cuz technically they would be too much time and effort and unreliable at best when you just need a litterbox or like a mating mount stand thing…

1 Like

I disagree with your “real animals” clarification, because fluffies ARE real animals to me, but it’s your headcanon, so you do you.

My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

The hugboxy areas introduced biotoy-specific laws due to enough people living there being appalled by pillowing and its deriatives.
Biotoys aren’t considered animals, but since their legal classification is specifically “biotoy”, that was used as a loophole to get them bare minimum protections in those places.

In addition, pillowing was never technically intended to be a feature in fluffies or most other biotoys, so that along with Hasbio’s (and other companies’) silence on the matter was used as an argument for it not being proper use.
So that argument along with a handful of parents who foolishly bought pillowed fluffies for their kids ending up with suicidal biotoys and upset children was enough to sway the law in their favor.

Countries like US and Canada have state/province specific jurisdiction over laws (or lack thereof) having to do with biotoys.

1 Like

Another thing that would be contradictory would be that you limit the mass production of fluffys, the milk sacs are necessary to not have to feed so many adult fluffys, in addition, padding is necessary so that the mares do not intervene in said production in mass think about it in levels of costs and profits that hasbio wants, or do you want to tell me that in your canon fluffys are scarce?

1 Like

There is no world where it isn’t just cheaper and easier to use formula lol

2 Likes

Those places typically use bottled milk or formula instead of milkbags for foals, and “minimum space” for fluffies simply means enough room for them to move around a little.
They still don’t ever let the fluffies outside, and since fluffies are fluffies, they don’t even require that. All they need is a padded safe room with one or two soft toys to be sufficiently happy.

These laws also only apply to non-Hasbio fluffy farms (which are allowed to exist due to the effects of the PETA break-in, since Hasbio only survived because people ended up liking the unfinished products, and trying to prevent independent breeding would kill Hasbio).
Hasbio, as well as most of the other biotoy companies, have their factories in states where biotoys don’t have rights.
Additionally, to safeguard themselves in the event that a state’s laws may change, they are very secretive about what truly happens inside their factories.
The smiling fluffies Hasbio put in their commercials are far from representative of what lies beneath the surface.

2 Likes

So your canon is a state where there are minimal protective laws and where the farms could be said to be what we call organic farms, but here the question remains: are fluffys scarce or are they a pest in your canon?

1 Like

They are somewhere in the middle. They can be a pest, but not to the point where the environment is negatively effected.
Additionally, the quality of fluffies varies greatly depending on the source.

Hasbio want to both make a good profit and ensure that their fluffies are top quality, so while they do employ some shady methods to streamline production, they are careful to make sure that their lines don’t have unwanted defects such as Smarty Syndrome, Categorizational Ability Deficiency, or color bias. Some still slip through the cracks, of course, but much less than before.
Being a subsidiary of Hasbro, Hasbio has to protect its reputation, and producing subpar products would harm them greatly.

Reputable independent breeders also want to ensure quality, and unlike Hasbio, they genuinely care about their fluffies and never employ any cruel methods.
Due to this, they typically produce much less, but they believe in quality over quantity.

Backyard fluffy breeders don’t care about the quality of their product at all. They only care about pumping out as many fluffies as possible and selling them as quickly as possible.
They often scam people into buying defective, badly bred fluffies by misrepresenting their products and dangling cheaper prices in front of potential buyers.

As for fluffies bred and used for purposes other than ownership, it mostly just depends on the area.
Production of Hasbio-brand products specifically is, as said, kept very secret.

2 Likes

So what is the fate of the “bad colors”?, since we remember that they do not always give good colors, there will always be litters called “shitty litters”, and the accumulation of product that obviously will not be sold cannot be allowed.

1 Like