"Breather Episode: The Fluffy Cabal" by NobodyAtAll

Note: read “Far Out” first.

Pierre carefully and delicately cuts his steak into tiny pieces, stabs a piece with a fork, and dips it into a blob of Victor’s legendary barbecue sauce.

As he does so, he looks around, at all the people who have gathered at the School today.

“Impressive, isn’t it? We’ve done well, Brother.”

Pierre chews his piece of steak, and swallows, before turning to Deston.

“Indeed. When we’re both gone, one day, we won’t be leaving the Earth unprotected. We won’t be leaving the mission unfinished. We will survive. All of us. Together.”

“But there’s something we need to discuss, Pierre. Muflys.

Now, nobody can hear Pierre and Deston.

“You know that he’s watching us, right? He’s been watching us for a while. Ever since he left.

“Of course I know. And I know something else. He’s coming back. And he’s not coming alone.

Deston looks shocked.

“Okay, I didn’t know that.

“And that’s not all. He’s been back before. Not for long. It was about a year ago. He stole the two specimens, before I had even noticed. In my defence, I was down to one body, and I was very busy getting everything ready before I could retire.”

Deston is even more shocked.

“What do you think he’s going to do with them?”

“I’ve already made an educated guess.”

“Well?”

Pierre tells Deston his theory.

Now Deston couldn’t be more shocked unless he was strapped into an electric chair.

“That utter madman. What does he even hope to achieve?”

“Honestly, I couldn’t tell you that. Even I don’t know how my son’s twisted mind works. You would get lost in there.”

Deston looks at his brother with a serious look on his face.

“When do you think he’ll be back, Pierre?”

“By my estimate? A month, tops. I don’t know where he’s coming from, but I know his armada can move fast.

“A month? And we’re all sitting here, having a barbecue! You say he’s bringing his armada?

“Yes. I wanted to give everyone one normal day before it all goes down. Tomorrow, we start preparing for the next war. Earth will not be easy pickings for Bertrand.”

“Right. He isn’t the only one with an army. We’ll talk about this more later. Dysp.

Valerie walks back over to her father and uncle with a plate of various meat products.

Then Susan and Xavier exit the School and walk over too, their hair and clothes a bit rumpled.

Valerie smirks. She knows damn well what they’ve just been up to.

“I hope nobody walked in on you two, Suzy. And I hope you both washed your hands afterwards. People are eating here, you know.”

Both of them start blushing, and then Xavier heads back into the School to thoroughly wash his hands.

Don’t ask.

“Dis sausie am suuuu yummy!”

Ms. Pac-Man happily wolfs down a plate of sausages, also drizzled with Victor’s barbecue sauce.

Alfred, Valerie’s tendril harness, hopefully holds up a bottle of the sauce in one tendril.

Ms. Pac-Man shakes her head.

“Nu fanks, Awfwed. Miz Pak-Man awweady hab enuff saucies.”

After offering Dig-Dug, Nikola, Audrey and Merlin some more sauce, only Audrey accepting, Alfred carefully places the bottle back on the table, gently pets all of the fluffies, and runs off to go play with Rock, Simone and Stretch.

Just like its “brother” Prometheus, Alfred is fully capable of being gentle with fluffies. It may be a tendril harness in appearance and function, but in personality, it’s just a big, friendly, loyal, clever dog.

Sorcière and Tiff are happily chatting away, having become fast friends. Sorcière is telling Tiff all about her new school.

“I think half the boys in my class have a crush on me already. Don’t look at me like that, Tiff. I didn’t magic them into having crushes on me.”

Tiff smiles sadly.

“I can believe that. You’re really pretty, Sorcie. Boys never even notice me.”

Sorcie pats Tiff on the shoulder.

“Tiff, if you want a boy to notice you, you’ve gotta make him notice you, and not with magic. You’ve already got a pretty black dress, but if you want some make-up, just say the word. Auntie Susan will happily give you some. And you should talk to Nanny too.”

Tiff smiles, this time an amused smile.

“Oh, I’ve already talked to Nanny about that. I don’t think I’ll ever forget her advice. She was very, um, forward with men in her younger days. And, unfortunately, she doesn’t know what TMI means.”

“I don’t think she’d stop if she did.

Both girls start laughing.

After Calvin has made everyone laugh with his proposal for Zephyr’s next album cover, he sits down with several burgers, a pile of sausages, and a big steak. Calvin burns a lot of calories at his day job.

After scarfing down the first sausage, he downs his glass of champagne, leaving just a little bit left.

“Can I get a refill, Des?”

“Of course, Cal. Zatur.

Calvin’s glass refills itself.

“Ah, I love magic. If Jude hadn’t started learning it, I would be.”

Deston smiles warmly at Calvin.

“I think you two will make an excellent team, Cal.”

“We already are an excellent team, Des. I mean, Jude stuck by me through all of this. They all did. Even Dave came around. I’m proud of him, and I’m proud of all of them. I’m proud of everyone here. This is my tribe, and I’ll fight to the bitter end for my tribe. I’ll happily sacrifice myself if it means everyone else will survive. And everyone here knows it.

Everyone raises their glasses in a toast.

“Hear, hear!”

Pierre and Deston are exceptionally proud to hear that, because, of all the people gathered at the School today, only they know what’s coming.

“It’s not long now. One month. Then we’ll be in the Solar System. Typical Earthlings, calling it the Solar System. Like there aren’t any others. They think Earth is the only inhabited planet in the Prime Material Plane.”

You’re an Earthling too, Master. So am I.”

“Shut up. I know that. But I’m so much better than all of them, they don’t deserve to be in any group I’m in. In one month, we’ll prove it.”

“Yes, Master Bertrand.”

“And when we arrive… heh…”

Bertrand Faucheuse smiles a wicked smile, sitting in his big black chair.

“Our ships will block out the damn sun.

4 Likes