Don't hate the player, Ragequit...Part 4/Finale by Karn/Princess Purrpaws

Ragequit character/original art by Mutagen
Kiwi by Princess Purrpaws

As Mariana continued to prepare the sauce for the pasta, the meat browning slowly, she looked to Ragequit nonchalantly. The unicorn was pouting, clearly still upset about the game, staring at Kiwi who was stretching and yawning within the kitchen. While Mariana didn’t like using such a mean trick on a fluffy, feeling almost like lying to a child, it was having the intended effect on Ragequit. Her earlier tantrums had dulled significantly, with the unicorn now only occasionally pouting and questioning what she had dubbed the dummy game. From repeatedly claiming that she didn’t want to play, only for her to ask about it again moments later, to feigning kindness and politely asking Mariana if she could win for once. Each and every time had been met with the reminder that she had lost and Kiwi had won yet again.

Now she sat, watching Kiwi quietly. Ragequit was pondering what the pegasus was doing differently that was letting him so much. Noticing that he was being watched, Kiwi smiled and trotted over to the unicorn. He had been frightened of her earlier but after she had calmed down, the pegasus had become far less nervous around her.

“Hewwo Wagekwit! Wan pway wiff Kee’we fowe nummies?”

Shocked by the request, Ragequit simply crossed her arms as she sat and puffed her cheeks, looking away from the pegasus.

“Nu! Wagekwit nu wan pway nu mowe! Wagekwit nu wike game!”

Confused by the unicorn’s frustration, Kiwi simply trotted to Mariana, lightly tugging on her leg.

“Nices’ wady Mawe’anna?”

Taking a short break from chopping the bell peppers, Mariana looked down, knowing what was troubling the poor pegasus. “Don’t worry about Ragequit sweetheart. She’s just upset because you’re winning Kiwi!” Mariana couldn’t help but giggle slightly, as the unicorn stared with disbelief. Mariana had been speaking loudly enough for Ragequit to hear them.

“Weawwy? Kee’we am winnin’?”

The pegasus looked up to Mariana, his eyes wide as he smiled, his tail wagging rapidly. He had been enjoying today thoroughly, and Mariana had made quite sure that Ragequit noticed, doting on Kiwi every chance she had. As she saw that the food would be ready soon, Mariana looked back down to Kiwi and then to Ragequit. "Dinner will be done in a few minutes. As of right now, Kiwi is winning so it looks like he’ll be winning the surprise tonight. Tough luck Ragequit. Maybe you can turn it around tomorrow.

Nibbling lightly at her bowl of food, Ragequit sighed, looking to Kiwi as he took massive bites of spaghetti on his plate, the scent teasing and tormenting the unicorn. Her kibble wasn’t bad, as Mariana kept bags of high quality feed for the fluffies she watched over, but compared to the smell and sight of spaghetti, it might as well have been dirt. As Ragequit sighed and took another small bite of the crunchy morsels, she heard a light scraping sound. Turning to see what it was, Ragequit was stunned to see Kiwi pushing his plate closer to the unicorn, with half of the delicious looking pasta still uneaten.

“Du Wagekwit wan sketties tu?”

Stunned by the gesture, Ragequit looked down slightly and then to the pegasus, embarrassed by how angry she had been at Kiwi moments earlier.

Kee’weKee’we weawwy shawe sketti nummies wiff Wagekwit?”

“Ob cowse! Nu wan Wagekwit tu nu hab sketties!”

Feeling slightly humbled, Ragequit slowly lowered her head onto the plate of delicious smelling spaghetti, watching the pegasus as she did so, almost unable to believe his generosity. Before she took her first bite, a nagging thought stopped her from devouring the wonderous meal.

“Buh…buh wai! Wai Kee’we wan gib sketties! Kee’weKee’we am winnah! An’ sketties am fow winnah! Wai shawe wiff Wagekwit? Wagekwit…Wagekwit am wosew…”

Lightly nuzzling her face with his, Kiwi only smiled.

“Nu cawe bout’ dat. Wagekwit wook saddies an wike wan sketties, su Kee’we shawe. Maek Wagekwit feew betah. Dat aww dat matah tu Kee’we.”

Her eyes slightly tearing up, Ragequit was overwhelmed. It was so kind of the pegasus to share, even though she had lost. The thought of the pasta made her heart swell. But she felt something else too, a strange feeling that made her sad and ashamed. She knew that had their situation been reversed, she’d have never shared her prize. Looking down as she was about to eat, she looked slightly towards Kiwi, her eyes unable to meet his.

“…Tank yu Kee’we…”

As she ate the spaghetti of the plate, only nibbling it in small bites, one at a time, Ragequit thought that it was odd how they didn’t taste nearly as good as she thought they would.

Mariana smiled as she watched the pair share the pasta she had made. While she wasn’t psychic, she had a feeling that Kiwi’s kind nature would ensure that he’d let Ragequit have some of his dinner. Well that and Mariana had given him a slightly larger helping than normal, just in case. It wasn’t something she did often, as spaghetti wasn’t the healthiest thing for a fluffy to eat, but every now and then was ok. Plus the sauce was homemade and Mariana prepared it with a large helping of chopped vegetables. Mariana herself wasn’t a huge fan of the dish, but when a fluffy was exceptionally good or one needed to be cheered up, she didn’t mind making it. Once the pair had eaten, with Mariana noticing the guilt ridden look on Ragequit’s face after supper, she cleaned up her dishes and prepared the fluffies for bed. Taking them both outside one last time to relive themselves and then washing and drying them off, as well as replugging Ragequit, Mariana put the fluffies down for bed.

The night passed without incident. While Mariana could see that Ragequit was coming around, she left nothing to chance and had her sleep in the saferoom while Kiwi joined her in her room for the night. It broke her heart to see how sad it made the unicorn but Mariana promised her that if she behaved, then they could both sleep with her tomorrow night. The next day came, with Mariana waking to a tail lightly patting her in the face. Kiwi had already been awake and had been patiently lying next to her, his tail whipping excitedly as he waited for her to awaken. “Good morning Kiwi…do you need to go outside?” Nodding slightly, the pegasus whirled around slightly, his face now nuzzling against hers.

“Gud bwite time nices’ wady Mawe’anna! Yus, Kee’we nee’ gu maek gud poopies.”

Slowly working herself out of bed, Mariana opened the bedroom door before heading to the bathroom to get ready. With the animal flap, Kiwi could let himself outside and unlike Ragequit, he wasn’t plugged, having long ago proven that he could be trusted. Once he had finished, he’d simply wait for Mariana to come and clean him off and dry him before coming back inside. Once she was dressed, she met the pegasus outside, praising him as always for being such a good fluffy. After he was clean, they went back inside and Mariana opened the saferoom door, a quiet but distinct sobbing could be heard from within. Mariana turned on the main light and saw Ragequit lying on the pillowbed, sobbing softly with her head down. Slowly raising her head, the whimpering unicorn sat on her rear and held both of her hooves in the air as she looked to Mariana.

“Upsies p’wease…”

Patting her leg slightly, Mariana beckoned the unicorn to follow. “You poor thing. Kiwi, please wait here for me honey.” As Ragequit rose up and walked over to Mariana, she looked down to the whimpering, sullen unicorn. “Come on sweety and tell me what happened…” Trotting slowly as she whimpered and sobbed, Ragequit followed her to the living room. Mariana slowly sat down on the couch, lightly tapping the cushion beside her, with the unicorn climbing up the padded steps and lying beside her and wrapping her hooves around Mariana’s leg as she buried her face in her skirt, sobbing as she shook violently. “Now tell me what’s wrong Ragequit. Why are you so upset?”

Looking up to Mariana, her cheeks dark from her tears, Ragequittried to explain, the unicorn choking up as she tried to speak.

“*huuu…huuu…huuu…Wagekwit nu hab gud nite time…nu gu sweepies…hab wowstest heawt huwties…Mawe’anna? Am…am Wagekwit ba’ fwuffy?”

Holding her close to her chest, Mariana began to lightly stroke the sobbing unicorn, her whimpers slowly dying down as she began to relax and coo slightly. “No Ragequit, you’re not a bad fluffy. I happen to know that you are a very good fluffy that did a bad thing.” Calming slightly, the unicorn looked up to Mariana, her eyes wide and full of hope.

“Weawwy? Wagekwit am gud fwuffy…buh…buh Wagekwit wus su mean tu Kee’we! An’ den wenKee’we wus winnah an’ Wagekwit Kee’we nices tu Wagekwit…maek Wagekwit feew wike ba’ fwuffy…nu cud gu sweepies aww nite…”

“Well that’s because you were too focused on winning, weren’t you…” The unicorn looked down meekly, ashamed at hearing the truth.

“…Yus…”

“It’s ok to make a mistake Ragequit, everyone does. But what’s important is to learn from it, and not to repeat it again. Now, remember when I asked you to apologize to Kiwi yesterday?” The unicorn sighed as she kept her eyes down, whimpering slightly despite Mariana’s affections.

“…Wagewkit membew…”

“Don’t you think he deserves a nicer one?” Unable to say the words, her shame overwhelming her, Ragequit could only nod to Mariana. "Ok sweety, how about we go back to the saferoom and you can tell him you’re sorry.

Walking back into the saferoom, Mariana watched as Ragequit slowly looked around the doorway, clearly skittish about seeing Kiwi. Trotting in slowly, Ragequit walked over to the toy corner, with Kiwi laying on his belly, giggling as he looked through a colorful picture book. Taking a deep breath, the unicorn nervously began.

Kee’we…can Wagewkit maek tawkies wiff Kee’we?”

Looking up and standing upright, Kiwi smiled as he saw the unicorn.

“Gud bwite time Wagekwit! Suwe, Kee’we wuv maek tawkies wiff Wagekwit! Wat Wagekwit wan tawkies bout’?”

“Wagekwit…Wagekwit su sowwy Kee’we…Sowwy Wagekwit yeww atchu…sowwy caww yu meanie names…sowwy Wagekwit be ba’ fwuffy…”

“Kee’we nu tink Wagewkit am ba’ fwuffy. Kee’we wike Wagekwit wots! Just nu wike wen Wagekwit yeww ow be mean…Kee’we fowgive Wagekwit.”

Kee’we fowgive Wagekwit? Buh wus su meanie…”

“Den nu be meanie nu mowe Wagekwit. Wan pway baww ow stak’ee bwoks nao Wagekwit?”

Stunned by how easily he had forgiven her, Ragequit smiled as she shook her head.

“Nu wan pway gamesies…wiww Kee’we sho Wagekwit pwetty pictuwe book?”

Epilogue

Smiling as she watched the fluffy pair in the saferoom, Mariana was overjoyed. It wasn’t easy and had taken over a day, but she felt like Ragequit was well on her way to being a far nicer fluffy than when she had arrived. Engrossed by the simple pleasure of watching two innocent creatures laugh and play, she almost didn’t hear the phone ringing. Walking to the living room, fetching her reacher along the way, she grabbed the phone. “Hello?”

“Hello, Mariana? This is Mutagen…Listen, about Ragequit…”

And thats the end. Won’t lie, the character I made for this story sort of clashed with my initial premise and the story warped into a far sweeter tale that I downright love. The initial idea was using “The Game” as a punishment for Ragequit, with her going slowly insane as she obsessed over the concept of a game you lost just by acknowledging it. also wrote a scene where she accidentally ate some coffee beans but it simply couldn’t be naturally fit within the narrative that the story became. as for the epilogue, well we will have to see what Mutagen has to say to Mariana at a later date. Regardless of the outcome, expect to see Mariana again. :heart:

21 Likes

Noice!

2 Likes

If that was any sweeter I’d need to make a dentist appointment.

6 Likes

Phew. Kiwi surprisingly won the day, and all for it. #TeamKiwi.

But a lovely capper to the story. My hope is the open ended ending is just the invitation for more Mariana.

4 Likes

Awww so cute! Glad she realized she was being a douche :slight_smile:
Kiwi is too pure for this world <3

2 Likes

This is a reasonable outcome.

I kept worrying rage would go way too far and kiwi would end up… Badly. :frowning:

Tho it didn’t happen, i keep waiting for the fluffy rollercoaster to hit a low point.

#Hugbox plz

1 Like

One of my rare pure Hug stories.
Originally had some darker elements but after I started writing about Mariana she seemed too sweet for a darker story.

It takes all kinds.

I’m more of a sorry stick is there for a reason guy.

But i can’t say i don’t envy the more patient, loving types like Mar.

I don’t enjoy the abuse stories, and yet i totally get it. They’re a shopping cart.

A shopping cart doesn’t HAVE to be pushed back to the corral. You can take the shopping cart out of the lot. You can push it back to where it’s supposed to go. It isn’t illegal or even frowned upon by most people to just not give AF.

But innately, you know you’re supposed to put that tiny amount of effort in - to do the right thing and put it where you should.

A fluffy isnt illegal to kill. They are bothersome but thats because someone left them out and didnt care. You know you shouldnt kill a creature, but it can be easily rationalized because theyre created and not “natural” or theyll bounce back from it or you simply dont have time to care.

Thats an overexplanation but I think of that cart analogy with everything IRL and use it to judge significant others, friends, stories about fluffs, etc.

There’s nothing innately good or bad about these tiny beasts of burden, despite their overuse of the words good and bad. Theyre there to absolutely use however you see fit.

Tyler Durden: i wanted to destroy something beautiful